Lord of The Rings: Rings of Power TV Series - Season 2 (August. 29. 2024/Official Thread)

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
I find it extremely distracting when they stick every race that exists in these shows. Tolkiens universe reflects old Norse and English mythology, it’s not supposed to be a diverse world (at least not parts of it, eg the elf world or the shire). Westeros is the same, supposed to be the war of the roses

Diversity is a worthy goal but when you treat everyone as fungible you take away what’s special and unique for each collective group. It completely broke immersion for me when they had a bunch of different ethnicities in WoT when I’m pretty sure the inhabitants of two rivers have lived there for thousands of years

that said, I’m looking forward to this

I have no problem with diversity in the Tolkien universe, as i feel its something that was going to be put in regardless, but i feel it should be done in the way GoT handled it. Different groups and ethnicities were more segregated by region and not all clumped together. The people of Essos had a distinguished ethnic look that was different from the inhabitants of Westeros. It felt more natural and didnt break the immersion experience. As you mentioned, WoT didnt do this and the constant mix of people felt fake to me.

That being said, Im probably going to be thrown off a bit at first but im willing to give it a chance. Hopefully the show runners developed steps to mitigate it and makes it logical

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
I find it extremely distracting when they stick every race that exists in these shows. Tolkiens universe reflects old Norse and English mythology, it’s not supposed to be a diverse world (at least not parts of it, eg the elf world or the shire). Westeros is the same, supposed to be the war of the roses

Diversity is a worthy goal but when you treat everyone as fungible you take away what’s special and unique for each collective group. It completely broke immersion for me when they had a bunch of different ethnicities in WoT when I’m pretty sure the inhabitants of two rivers have lived there for thousands of years

that said, I’m looking forward to this
Word? :mjpls:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no problem with diversity in the Tolkien universe, as i feel its something that was going to be put in regardless, but i feel it should be done in the way GoT handled it. Different groups and ethnicities were more segregated by region and not all clumped together. The people of Essos had a distinguished ethnic look that was different from the inhabitants of Westeros. It felt more natural and didnt break the immersion experience. As you mentioned, WoT didnt do this and the constant mix of people felt fake to me.

That being said, Im probably going to be thrown off a bit at first but im willing to give it a chance. Hopefully the show runners developed steps to mitigate it and makes it logical

I thought the wheel of time was like this too but it's been awhile since I read the books. This is also how most of the world still is. Races and ethnicities are still largely segregated by geography. The exception is the US, Brazil and some western countries. Ironically what they are doing is actually less diverse because they are trying to make all the shows look like modern US

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Looks great visually but I am pessimistic based on some lore changes I have heard of. Either way we will see in a few months.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
This shyt literally has never worked yet studios keep doing it. Ask yourself why.

There are black humans in LOTR, and brown colored hobbits. I'm sure some people would have still been mad if they were portrayed in the show, but to me throwing black elves and dwarves into the mix is a joke. If you don't want to respect lore, leave shyt alone IMO. Worse yet here when this is literally based on less than 200 pages from an appendix, about the least interesting age in the LOTR universe (second age).

The books and lore concept of race is more along the lines of species than our modern view (different color races, same species). Elves are a race. Dwarves are a race. Humans are a race. Etc. In that sense the story has always been about diversity in terms of working together to face common enemies, respecting each others culture, and even interracial sexual relations. I think that's a reason why it's one of the top 5 best selling books of all time, why they've been translated into every language, and why the films were smash hits. The themes and truths in the series resonate with people. Shoehorning a black elf into this just seems ridiculous to me.

And it's not just that issue. Why is Galadriel wearing armor and being a warrior? It's algorithm, focus group driven content.

That was Galadriel?! :pachaha:

You would think considering how much money.. they would have just had that other fantasy series be the focus group one and just let this be a straight adaption

CHERUB

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
nah I hate the “let’s just stick a black elf in for diversity reasons and show how progressive we are”. shyts corny and unnecessary.

Tolkien’s race of Elves were based on Scandinavia/ Old Norse. Let them have that shyt. Just like we don’t need cacs in African folklore tales. (Gods of Egypt).

Show runners could’ve included a few blacks in with the human race though and been straight.

You already know they coming with the super masculine warrior galadriel...and all the men gonna be made to look dumb or some gay shyt gonna go down. They already got nudity smhhh

Last edited:

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
That was Galadriel?! :pachaha:

You would think considering how much money.. they would have just had that other fantasy series be the focus group one and just let this be a straight adaption
Galadriel rock climbing in full chain-link armor...:snoop:

This is going to go down like Witcher season 2, fans will hate it, casuals will love the CGI spectacle..

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk the lore. I will never give a shyt about this in a fantasy setting. I'm not going to play defender for alt-right cacs. You want to put black elves in sure go ahead...."but but but the lore" while holding hands with alt-right cacs for no reason.

If the shyt is entertaining and written well I'm suppose to feel bad because "the story from my youth"? Niccas is weirdos

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
That's who it was...

Galadriel in armor and a sword makes as much sense as Kal-el in a bullet proof vest and M16...

main-qimg-d0afb79e82dcc91df12fa8a86b06401e-pjlq

I mean :mjgrin:

AJaRuleStan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Killa Queens
On the question of diversity, I think it's a fine goal to pursue, personally I think a major strength of the genre is pulling from real world cultures and exaggerating them to create cool as warriors, weapons and armors, and then telling stories how various racial groups interact as allies and enemies(orcs vs elves vs man). My irritation, at least with how black people are handled, is that they always put them in as multi-cultural representation for the European based group or faction. And they mostly never do this with the fantasy Asians or Arab representatives in medieval works. Like when an Asian pops up in this genre, they're always coded as a fantasy version of east Asian cultures. As in they they have their own cities and nations within the fantasy world that they come from. They also have their own mythos/background written into their stories. And their armor and weaponry is like a cool fantasized version of their real world counterpart culture.

I mean look at haradrim warriors from the original LOTR movies, their badass as shyt precisely because they got their own unique identity. I think that should be the approach with black people rather than just having a dwarf or elf being played by a black actor and then calling it a day, especially when you have a whole black dispora to pull from to do cool shyt, similar to the haradrim. And there isn't really a strong reason why they can't do this with LOTR; far harad, the implied fantasy africa of middle earth, is completely open. But for whatever reason, writers really want black ppl to be represented as the minority in the European based region of these worlds only. Like when the new GOT side project was announced and they expressed a desire to have black chars in the story, I though they were going to explore summer isles or introduce chars/warriors from there but instead they just retcon a segment of the Targaryen's to be black. Really? That's the most interesting idea they could think of???