Lord of The Rings: Rings of Power TV Series - Season 2 (August. 29. 2024/Official Thread)

YaThreadFloppedB!

The Patron Saint of Threads
Daps
Reppin
The Bushes
nah I hate the “let’s just stick a black elf in for diversity reasons and show how progressive we are”. shyts corny and unnecessary.

Tolkien’s race of Elves were based on Scandinavia/ Old Norse. Let them have that shyt. Just like we don’t need cacs in African folklore tales. (Gods of Egypt).

Show runners could’ve included a few blacks in with the human race though and been straight.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone read The Witcher? Did it have black people?

The show does, but undoubtedly feels modern in large part because of it. Diversity is a modern concern.

RoP will feel modern, but it remains to be seen if the show will suffer for it.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
The usual suspects are raging right now :mjlol:

That's why I don't care a lot for high fantasy anymore, chuds treat the genre as a White power wankfest.

That’s because that’s what it is, like the poster above said I find it cheesy when they forcefully insert black people or POC into something for the sake of diversity. If they want to diversify give us our own shyt completely instead of throwing in a token here and there and thinking shyt is sweet. I never had a problem with the OT despite a lack of “diversity”. Also seems like they have the lore fukked up which to some Tolkien fans is blasphemous as this is like a bible to them.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
This looks like cheap generic trash :unimpressed:

They spent half a billi on this shyt and it looks like a soap opera :gucci:

Why do all these Netflix and Amazon shows look so soulless and devoid of personality?

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This looks like cheap generic trash :unimpressed:

They spent half a billi on this shyt and it looks like a soap opera :gucci:

Why do all these Netflix and Amazon shows look so soulless and devoid of personality?

I don't know about Amazon shows, but I liked The Witcher on Netflix.

And I'm going to give this a chance too, even though things aren't looking great right now.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s because that’s what it is, like the poster above said I find it cheesy when they forcefully insert black people or POC into something for the sake of diversity. If they want to diversify give us our own shyt completely instead of throwing in a token here and there and thinking shyt is sweet. I never had a problem with the OT despite a lack of “diversity”. Also seems like they have the lore fukked up which to some Tolkien fans is blasphemous as this is like a bible to them.

Tolkien and Jackson's Middle Earth maybe lily white, but Amazon's won't be. It is what it is. It maybe based around and inspired by Tolkien's work, but it's still their own take and interpretation at the end of the day.

Plus, the problem just seems to be with Black people. No other race gets nearly as much pushback. Recent example, You just had Dev Patel, an Indian, play a notable character out of Athurian/Celtic folklore in Green Knight. The internet was quiet. You also will hardly see anybody White or otherwise, complain about "forced diversity" if a White character was inserted in a mostly Black/Poc project. The energy is never kept the same all around consistently by the very same people who claim to care about "accuracy" which is why even though I vouch for Original IP with original characters, I ultimately don't care if studios continue to do this.

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
Will Poulter as a young Hugo Weaving was brilliant casting, shame it didn't work out

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Tolkien and Jackson's Middle Earth maybe lily white, but Amazon's won't be. It is what it is. It maybe based around and inspired by Tolkien's work, but it's still their own take and interpretation at the end of the day.

Plus, the problem just seems to be with Black people. No other race gets nearly as much pushback. Recent example, You just had Dev Patel, an Indian, play a notable character out of Athurian/Celtic folklore in Green Knight. The internet was quiet. You also will hardly see anybody White or otherwise, complain about "forced diversity" if a White character was inserted in a mostly Black/Poc project. The energy is never kept the same all around consistently by the very same people who claim to care about "accuracy" which is why even though I vouch for Original IP with original characters, I ultimately don't care if studios continue to do this.
So if they put CACs in Wakanda in BP2 you would have no problem with that? You'd be ok with it right?

Fans demanding the source material of their franchise be respected is not racist, its not alt-right, its not insane...There will always be racist piece of shyt CAC's that latch on, slapping the racist label on millions of people because of those idiots is fukking retarded...Likewise, paying millions of dollars for the rights to adapt someone's work with millions of fans around the world, re-writing that work in YOUR image and expecting those millions of fans to just be ok with it is fukking retarded...

The biggest problem in regards to the material they released for this show so far hasn't even been with black people...The biggest issue with the pics and info has been Galadrial's portrayal...a BLONDE hair BLUE eyed WHITE girl...The issue with her is they're turning her into fukking Xena the warrior princess, something Tolkien flat out said is unnecessary...For the modern feminist audience though, masculine women are necessary because feminine women are not strong enough for them...

As far as race is concerned, there are multiple issues with the Dwarven princess, the fact she's clearly a token for a diversity quota is just one of them...Tolkien was painstakingly descriptive on how dwarves looked like, he made it a point to note male and female dwarves were indistinguishable, yes females even had beards...Look at those two pictures they released of the princess and Durin, pretend she's white and tell me with a straight face they are indistinguishable...

Here's a really crazy idea for "modern" Hollywood, if you think Tolkiens work is "problematic for the modern audience", how about writing an original fantasy world story for your film/show? You wouldn't have to deal with angry fanbases demanding source material be respected...

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
So if they put CACs in Wakanda in BP2 you would have no problem with that? You'd be ok with it right?

all that "respect the lore first" stuff makes sense in a vacuum but here we are talking about money, jobs, opportunities, roles, stars of the future.

if however "respecting the lore" is that important then they should do that but give the plaudits and the big money to some small part breh instead.

you see shuffling the money and opportunities around unequally is the real problem here.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The thing is Tolkien’s universe wasn’t even lily white. Im a LOTR/Silmarrillion fan and places/lands like Harad and Rhun had people who were described as dark skinned.

that horn at :50 secs :wow:

I think most people will agree but Amazon is doing more than that, right? Black hobbits, for instance.

YaThreadFloppedB!

The Patron Saint of Threads
Daps
Reppin
The Bushes
I think most people will agree but Amazon is doing more than that, right? Black hobbits, for instance.
If I remember correctly some Hobbits were described as “swarthy”. But I don’t picture “black” when i hear “swarthy”.

Hobbits weren’t even around in the Second Age which is where Amazon is picking up from but I don’t think that’s too much of a big deal as long as they don’t have a big role.

Just to be clear I don’t want to see black elves either. Me pointing out that black people are described in Tolkien’s works is just to say it’s unnecessary to put a black person in somewhere where it’s not needed.