Lord Jamar DEMOLISHES KRS-One's claim of Latinos pioneering Hip-Hop

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again. There's a difference between creating something and participating and contributing to it. Puerto Ricans didn't create hip hop. Hip hop was created by blacks. But they did participate and contribute to it. And like I said. That doesn't diminish their contributions. Damn near all forms of modern American music. Started as black music.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
How is it wrong that he was born and raised in Jamaica? He was.

Herc was flipping breaks in '73, not '75, bro. That's why Hip Hop's birth is acknowledged as 1973. Making it 50 last year. Not a year from now.

James Brown's music being used for breaks and having the b-boys get busy to that was started by Herc. There were mad DJ's before Herc. Of course. But what they were doing wasn't Hip Hop. The birth of Hip Hop culture and what a lot of us saw growing up, started with Kool Herc. Dude even came up with the names of what we call breakers. Dude created the rhyming style of Hip Hop and the phrases everyone used like "Ya don’t stop" and "To the beat, y'all". All of that started with him.

Dudes really try'na rewrite history out here. Madness.

:what:

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
As a white person myself, who loves hip hop (born 87) from outside Philly.. I just think the definition of hip hop is misconstrued and will be lost to history.. because hip hop is a culture, not a media defined music genre.. DJ’ing, break dancing, graffiti and emceeing is the culture.. Black led guidance is the backbone of the culture.. I am not anyone who is apart of this except for my storage of history, and having a sense of what is “hip hop” (I know my experience does not put me there by biology, fyi).. Allentown PA is not the Mecca, but i was/am with people who care about the progression of hip hop, and have a resume that they put in work for the culture..

I know Puerto Ricans led the movement of excellent break dancers (crazy legs) and graffiti artist. Jamaicans (mentioned by Jamar) were essential in DJ (kool herc) and emcee (biggie, busta, KRS, 50.. even his boy grand puba ).. I wish today there was more pride to keep it the exclusive culture that it was pre 2005, instead of a “born into it” identity (that’s how you get sexy redd, ice spice, etc) or worse, the “welcome to the cookouts” culture of today (I’m with a lot of people here, white people in general are not trusted for the best interest, to be even entrusted a sliver of black culture) we all know hip hop is falling amongst the dominant youth genre of music.. it’s unquestionable, I just want better

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
How could Lord Jamar school KRS One of all people on anything in hip hop?

What happened to respecting the elders?

Why anybody respects Lord Jamar outside of the bare minimum is beyond me, met waaaaay too many dudes like him and they always leave a bad taste in my mouth

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
No, HipHip was already going on in 1970 by Herc's own admission

It didn't start with Herc...straight from Herc's own mouth!:

wgN4kd0.jpeg

48yBAWo.jpeg

8CIU41c.jpeg

No, that was Coke La Rock that came up with those phrases; not Herc

the modern rap style came from Dj Hollywood circa 1971

REAL BRONX HIPHOP HISTORY AS TOLD BY THOSE WHO WERE THERE IN 1970!

^^^the man who directly influenced Herc via the Plaza Tunnel circa 1970

NVuf76W.jpeg

Nah. Herc never "admitted" anything. He's clearly saying what he used to discover Hip Hop.

All of those things are ingredients.

They are NOT Hip Hop. Herc took things that pre-dated the culture and put them together to MAKE them Hip Hop.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

Video literally doesn't say anything about the topic.

Herc is the founder.

Dudes acting like he said he invented turntables and partying, lol. This is about Hip Hop. Not who played records first or who called themselves a "DJ" first. It's about who took everything and made them into the culture everybody grew up on. That was Herc. Revisionist history ain't flying when it comes to this one.

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
Nah. Herc never "admitted" anything. He's clearly saying what he used to discover Hip Hop.

All of those things are ingredients.

They are NOT Hip Hop. Herc took things that pre-dated the culture and put them together to MAKE them Hip Hop.
homey literally quoted things that contradict his stance

i dont think he really reads any of it

tried to tell me wasnt no puerto ricans in the spades Lmfao

like ngga u grew up in west fukk bama foh this my life

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
homey literally quoted things that contradict his stance

i dont think he really reads any of it

tried to tell me wasnt no puerto ricans in the spades Lmfao

like ngga u grew up in west fukk bama foh this my life

TRUTH!

I'm not even trying to be foul, but I don’t wanna hear nobody not from NYC talking about Hip Hop history, lol. This is what we grew up in and knew our whole lives. The OG's made sure of it. I ain't trying to hear nothing from people who need to Google any of this.

will-smith-shrug.gif

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, HipHip was already going on in 1970 by Herc's own admission

It didn't start with Herc...straight from Herc's own mouth!:

wgN4kd0.jpeg

48yBAWo.jpeg

8CIU41c.jpeg

No, that was Coke La Rock that came up with those phrases; not Herc

the modern rap style came from Dj Hollywood circa 1971

REAL BRONX HIPHOP HISTORY AS TOLD BY THOSE WHO WERE THERE IN 1970!

^^^the man who directly influenced Herc via the Plaza Tunnel circa 1970

NVuf76W.jpeg

This should end the thread. Salute.