Lord Jamar DEMOLISHES KRS-One's claim of Latinos pioneering Hip-Hop

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That's all good. I get that. You might be from Brooklyn though, lol.

But I knew a million Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Panamanians, on and on, who saw themselves as Black. But I also knew some who didn't. That's just how NYC was/is. The point isn't really in how people see themselves. It's in how we all grew up together back then. And it was the same for our parents in the 70's and 80's. So when the pioneers say they had Spanish cats with them when all of this started, I can't tell them they're lying. LOL!! They're showing respect to the dudes that were there when they founded this.

Now if they say that no Hispanics were around, that would be different. But the OG's and pioneers have always shouted out all the Latino's who were there when this was getting started. I spoke with Caz and Cholly a few years ago on some chill sh*t Uptown at Harlem Week, and everything I just quoted was what he said. Which is what he always says. But I'm sure he's done mad interviews saying the same. He literally name-drops all the Spanish dudes who were there, a lot.

this is what Cholly Rock said

this is what he said about when Ricans came into HipHop via bboying

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
:ufdup:

Cholly Rock who was in Tariqs documentary claims DJ Grandmaster Flowers was not a Hip Hop DJ during it's origin but more a Disco DJ who later jumped on the wagon once Hip Hop became more popular. Cholly Rock was very adament about seperating who was there at first and who wasn't because he claims a lot of the disco DJs hated Hip Hop at first.

So if you gonna disregard King Charles then we gonna disregard Flowers too because Cholly Rock was there and you weren't.

CheckMate

:sas2:

FACTS!

Everyone knows that Flowers was a disco DJ. Later on, he switched over to chillin' with Flash and got down with Bam and them.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Your area was different.

There's a few sections of NY where it's like that but my family is from West Harlem and I can't recall having interactions with Hispanics in those projects.

Now I had cousins who were mixed and they were in Spanish Harlem. I'd go visit and barely see any black people. That's just a difference of a few blocks.

I had family in the South Bronx and those projects were mostly black too.

Nah, you're right.

Apart from other than like Grant Projects, West Harlem didn't have a lot of Spanish people.

Spanish Harlem wasn't really where you'd see any black people back then either. You had to go West for that. But in the South Bronx, that was mad mixed. That whole Mott Haven section was very mixed. From the 130's by Willis Ave and Brook Ave all the way up to Third Ave and beyond.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
All I know is, there were lines of demarcation when it came to neighborhoods and how they welcomed hip hop.

Hip hop wasn't off limits to be played in Rican neighborhoods. Besides them, I don't see any other group that embraced the art coming up. It was just Blacks and Ricans getting down collectively in it. None of those others wanted any part of it.

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Nah. Herc never "admitted" anything. He's clearly saying what he used to discover Hip Hop.

All of those things are ingredients.

They are NOT Hip Hop. Herc took things that pre-dated the culture and put them together to MAKE them Hip Hop.

Same way white people "discovered" america even though it already had people living there right.

Dude clearly says they were already break dancing... he just started calling them B-boys.... how is that a discovery?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
All I know is, there were lines of demarcation when it came to neighborhoods and how they welcomed hip hop.

Hip hop wasn't off limits to be played in Rican neighborhoods. Besides them, I don't see any other group that embraced the art coming up. It was just Blacks and Ricans getting down collectively in it. None of those others wanted any part of it.
This is real. And like I said earlier. Alotta Rican families wasn't down wit them hanging out with blacks like that either. Alotta those Ricans was considered "rebels" by their older family members. And since then Ricans embrace blacks more than damn near any other Hispanic group in NYC. Thats why still in the BX all the Ricans is still mixed in wit the blacks on the East Side and South Bronx. Everywhere else is mostly Dominican.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Same way white people "discovered" america even though it already had people living there right.

Dude clearly says they were already break dancing... he just started calling them B-boys.... how is that a discovery?

No one said Herc discovered breakdancing. We said he named them and coined the phrases. Read more of the posts.

Come on, bro.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
This is real. And like I said earlier. Alotta Rican families wasn't down wit them hanging out with blacks like that either. Alotta those Ricans was considered "rebels" by their older family members. And since then Ricans embrace blacks more than damn near any other Hispanic group in NYC. Thats why still in the BX all the Ricans is still mixed in wit the blacks on the East Side and South Bronx. Everywhere else is mostly Dominican.
You also have to take into account the salsa movement in the 70's and 80's was at its peak. That shyt was huge in NYC. It wasn't just Hip Hop that was poppin at the time. So a lot of Ricans were heavily into it and Hip Hop was counter to that. That classic salsa still gets played today and will get in people in their feelings when one of those songs get played. You also have to put into perspective that Ricans weren't that far removed from the island and the culture compared today. So you got that pushback when a minority of them were into Hip Hop. They looked at it is them abandoning their culture/heritage.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You also have to take into account the salsa movement in the 70's and 80's was at its peak. That shyt was huge in NYC. It wasn't just Hip Hop that was poppin at the time. So a lot of Ricans were heavily into it and Hip Hop was counter to that. That classic salsa still gets played today and will get in people in their feelings when one of those songs get played. You also have to put into perspective that Ricans weren't that far removed from the island and the culture compared today. So you got that pushback when a minority of them were into Hip Hop. They looked at it is them abandoning their culture/heritage.
I mean I understand I'm just saying what it was.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

TRUTH!

No one embraced it, but the blacks and the young Hispanics. Not even the Hispanic elders had love for it. They hated it. Caz always tells a funny story about being in the park with the young Puerto Ricans on turntables and their elders would be in the same park playing Bongos and saying, "Why are you always with those Coco Loco's?" LOL!!