Look I'm a straight drank-a-holic and I'm sipping my last drink as we speak.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
5 months sober......Thank you Lord

:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

it’s possible you can do it. No meetings, didn’t go to church at the beginning, no secret pill. It’s all in your mind don’t let anyone tell you different.

Real quick here’s the process. I haven’t refined it but so far here’s the pattern.

Set yourself up for success: tell your friends your not going to be kicking it for a few months and get away from the alcohol. If you have any in your house throw it away. Think of it like a vacation.

Find a spark: You can’t depend on motivation because it comes and goes. Still though motivation is a very powerful tool you can use to get started. Look for something to inspire you, something that lights a fire inside of you. Could be from a motivational speaker, self help book, movie, song, athlete, a talk a family member has with you. There’s plenty of motivation out there find it and use it to start but don’t depend on it.

Feed the flame: This is the most important part. Now that you’re not spending all your time drinking you need to do something with your time. You can’t just be idle cause then that fire is going to go out. Develop a routine that you can stick to daily and stick to it. Know that every task you’ve set for your routine is crucial to your sobriety. Of course life is going to get in the way from time to time and that’s fine but at your core you need to get back to that routine as soon as possible. Wake up, make your bed, clean if you have to, get ready, eat, go to work, get off work, go to the gym, get home eat, sleep, repeat. Weekends spend time with your family, spend time helping people, work on a business, work on yourself, find a hobby. I’d say at least the first 2 months you have to be a robot almost. That routine is going to save your life and it’s everything. Stick to it, respect it, and know that if you get too loose with it, you put yourself in danger of drinking again.

That’s all I have so far but I can tell you it worked for me.

a few things

You’re going to get these waves that come over you when you really want to drink. It’ll feel like a magnet is pulling you and you’re not going to like the feeling. Resist! Don’t run from that feeling cause that’s you getting off the alcohol. Stay present in those moments. I know it gets really strong but the more waves that you can stay present for the stronger your will becomes. Eventually they stop. It took me about 3 months for the waves to stop. Every time one came I told myself, this is good for me, I’m getting stronger.

2nd thing:

Stopping drinking will not fix your life. I know for some it might but for me it didn’t. What has happened is that I’m no longer comfortable with a life I don’t like. I was trapped in a cycle where I hated my life and to placate myself I’d drink. This kept me stuck in a really shytty life that I didn’t like. Right now my life is still not where I want it to be but little by little I’m taking steps to change it. Before my life was the same year after year now I can see that if I keep going year after year it’s only going to get better. So don’t think your going to stop drinking and life will fix itself but at least now your present for a lot of it and you allow growth instead of stunting it.

last thing:

Accept that your not going to have these giant peaks of feeling good in your life. Just cruise on contentment. With alcohol I was so used to these giant highs and lows it took me a while to accept just feeling ok most of the time. I don’t know maybe it’s different for others but that’s the situation for me.

hope it helps anyone. Sorry for my bad grammar

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
5 months sober......Thank you Lord

:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

it’s possible you can do it. No meetings, didn’t go to church at the beginning, no secret pill. It’s all in your mind don’t let anyone tell you different.

Real quick here’s the process. I haven’t refined it but so far here’s the pattern.

Set yourself up for success: tell your friends your not going to be kicking it for a few months and get away from the alcohol. If you have any in your house throw it away. Think of it like a vacation.

Find a spark: You can’t depend on motivation because it comes and goes. Still though motivation is a very powerful tool you can use to get started. Look for something to inspire you, something that lights a fire inside of you. Could be from a motivational speaker, self help book, movie, song, athlete, a talk a family member has with you. There’s plenty of motivation out there find it and use it to start but don’t depend on it.

Feed the flame: This is the most important part. Now that you’re not spending all your time drinking you need to do something with your time. You can’t just be idle cause then that fire is going to go out. Develop a routine that you can stick to daily and stick to it. Know that every task you’ve set for your routine is crucial to your sobriety. Of course life is going to get in the way from time to time and that’s fine but at your core you need to get back to that routine as soon as possible. Wake up, make your bed, clean if you have to, get ready, eat, go to work, get off work, go to the gym, get home eat, sleep, repeat. Weekends spend time with your family, spend time helping people, work on a business, work on yourself, find a hobby. I’d say at least the first 2 months you have to be a robot almost. That routine is going to save your life and it’s everything. Stick to it, respect it, and know that if you get too loose with it, you put yourself in danger of drinking again.

That’s all I have so far but I can tell you it worked for me.

a few things

You’re going to get these waves that come over you when you really want to drink. It’ll feel like a magnet is pulling you and you’re not going to like the feeling. Resist! Don’t run from that feeling cause that’s you getting off the alcohol. Stay present in those moments. I know it gets really strong but the more waves that you can stay present for the stronger your will becomes. Eventually they stop. It took me about 3 months for the waves to stop. Every time one came I told myself, this is good for me, I’m getting stronger.

2nd thing:

Stopping drinking will not fix your life. I know for some it might but for me it didn’t. What has happened is that I’m no longer comfortable with a life I don’t like. I was trapped in a cycle where I hated my life and to placate myself I’d drink. This kept me stuck in a really shytty life that I didn’t like. Right now my life is still not where I want it to be but little by little I’m taking steps to change it. Before my life was the same year after year now I can see that if I keep going year after year it’s only going to get better. So don’t think your going to stop drinking and life will fix itself but at least now your present for a lot of it and you allow growth instead of stunting it.

last thing:

Accept that your not going to have these giant peaks of feeling good in your life. Just cruise on contentment. With alcohol I was so used to these giant highs and lows it took me a while to accept just feeling ok most of the time. I don’t know maybe it’s different for others but that’s the situation for me.

hope it helps anyone. Sorry for my bad grammar

Im 5 months in too... but if this virus pops off like i think and we in quarantine for weeks im like :yeshrug:

pass me a beer

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How are you all handling being sober in this shyt storm? If there was ever a time to drink, it would be now. You all holding on?

Me, I had a bad week, lost my job (I work in oil and gas, so yeah....), feeling worn out, but still sober. I'll admit, there were a few times I scared myself, and I thought I was gonna go to the store and grab some liquor. I resisted the temptation. I didn't even smoke a cigarette either. While all this corona virus shyt is terrible, I'm not gonna let it erase my sobriety. I might need to hit up a few online AA meetings though. They have those right? :jbhmm:

Hopefully you all are remaining sober too. We can't let a bad situation erase our hard work at being sober.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How are you all handling being sober in this shyt storm? If there was ever a time to drink, it would be now. You all holding on?

Me, I had a bad week, lost my job (I work in oil and gas, so yeah....), feeling worn out, but still sober. I'll admit, there were a few times I scared myself, and I thought I was gonna go to the store and grab some liquor. I resisted the temptation. I didn't even smoke a cigarette either. While all this corona virus shyt is terrible, I'm not gonna let it erase my sobriety. I might need to hit up a few online AA meetings though. They have those right? :jbhmm:

Hopefully you all are remaining sober too. We can't let a bad situation erase our hard work at being sober.

I've been good. If there's anytime to quit smoking it'd be now anyway, seeing as how this virus fukks up your respiratory system. I'm good on everything so far.

Day_Walker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Spent 8 days on a work trip to vegas just got back home last night

whole time high off edibles no alcohol even when i hit the strip club with the CEO of the company

I would have called you crazy last year if you asked me to not drink in Vegas

hit 3 months sober while in Vegas

yall nikkas can do it yall just gotta get over the first month hump after that its auto pilot trust me

best decision in my 26 years of living:lawd:
You got the edibles to help you out. I wish i could enjoy bud cause i know it ain't bad for you but that shyt just makes me paranoid to the point where i start tripping out
But anyways congrats breh keep it up

Day_Walker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did 54 days sober brehs & had a couple of drinks for my boys birthday & I've learnt how to drink social now....

I can just have a couple of whiskey then just go back to the crib & not even open another bottle

and even then I've only been drinking once every 2 weeks since i broke my sobriety

:wow:
How did you use to drink breh? I've had sober streaks in the past but get to the point where i can drink socially or stop after a few :francis: