hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
GS13VA6WMAAx0aZ

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This was such a bizarre and disturbing and funny movie. Me and my boyfriend were laughing and tensing up in equal measure. It’s awesome that the writers and director just embraced the crazy and didn’t try to make it more palatable for mainstream. I don’t understand the criticism of the third act. If anything it helps explain the awkward and weird stuff going on in the first half, particularly the interactions between the main character and her mother and her interactions with people in general. We’re still talking about it this morning so it’s sticking. Probably will have to see it again because I need more answers. I’m giving this a 9/10 for originality and audacity alone.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
One more thing. Silence of the lambs is a thriller. This movie is a horror film. And not even a conventional horror. This is arthouse horror, imo. There are certain rules and conventions each abide by. Comparing Longlegs to Silence of the Lamb does it a disservice and sets up the wrong expectations. I just don’t understand why people are comparing the two outside of the female FBI aspect.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Silence of the Lambs is kinda of considered a horror movie. I think the comparisons are there. doesn't have to be the only way to praise or criticize the movie of course. Silence of the Lambs also essentially birthed the genre, of what became a trope, the elusive serial killer, the young rookie, the wise mentor, the deranged mentor, the bond between killer and agent. The twist endings. Longlegs is less..."90's thriller intellectual" than Silence of the Lambs, which has a lot of detail around profiling and actual investigations, all that stuff about senators and making deals with killers, and high level career bureaucrats undermining things is very early 90's/90's. Longlegs is more concerned with atmosphere. and has none of that. Doesn't really attempt to tell a realistic story of an investigation. Seems to consist of one older agent and two younger ones in a small office lol

young female FBI agent, with dark past

horror movie feel, from the music, to the extended time with the killer in his world

famed and accomplished actor playing the killer

twisted relationship between killer and FBI agent

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I never understood the "Silence Of The Lambs" comparisons. This has more in common with "Friday The 13th", "A Nightmare On Elm Street", "Halloween", etc.

Longlegs is a supernatural force of evil. He legit has super powers, via the dolls.

The main reason I see reviews comparing these two movies is "young FBI agent tracks a serial killer". Which is a tenuous connection. What makes "Silence Of The Lambs" unique is the mentor/mentee relationship between Clarice and Hannibal. Which obviously doesn't exist here.

Hell, even the "Hannibal" series mirrored that dynamic with Will and Hannibal. That's the point of "Silence Of The Lambs". Not just character descriptions.

Also this sub-genre of horror has been dead for a minute. The three movies I mentioned in the 2nd sentence are lumped in with slasher flicks but "Scream" is also a slasher flick. "Psycho" is a slasher flick.

I'm specifically talking about the sub-genre of super natural killers, like Freddy, Chucky, etc. which is where Longlegs belongs. Off the top of my head I can't remember any movies like that, for a long while until this one.

Fred.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I never understood the "Silence Of The Lambs" comparisons. This has more in common with "Friday The 13th", "A Nightmare On Elm Street", "Halloween", etc.

Longlegs is a supernatural force of evil. He legit has super powers, via the dolls.

The main reason I see reviews comparing these two movies is "young FBI agent tracks a serial killer". Which is a tenuous connection. What makes "Silence Of The Lambs" unique is the mentor/mentee relationship between Clarice and Hannibal. Which obviously doesn't exist here.

Hell, even the "Hannibal" series mirrored that dynamic with Will and Hannibal. That's the point of "Silence Of The Lambs". Not just character descriptions.

Also this sub-genre of horror has been dead for a minute. The three movies I mentioned in the 2nd sentence are lumped in with slasher flicks but "Scream" is also a slasher flick. "Psycho" is a slasher flick.

I'm specifically talking about the sub-genre of super natural killers, like Freddy, Chucky, etc. which is where Longlegs belongs. Off the top of my head I can't remember any movies like that, for a long while until this one.

Fred.

To me, this is more aligned with movies like Seven, which thematically kind of hint at a deeper evil, but don't go there, even if the central villain kind of takes that role--- or Fraility, kind of a forgotten 2002 horror/serial killer/demonic thriller, or, like a mutual favorite, The X Files --in which the means of tracking the killer are all real, no superheroes, no special powers, and most of the killers methods are in the realm of plausible but with one part of supernatural. Toombs, The Pusher, that kind of shyt.

In Fraility, everything is real, with one key exception, but the movie essentially unfolds as a legit thriller.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
To me, this is more aligned with movies like Seven, which thematically kind of hint at a deeper evil, but don't go there, even if the central villain kind of takes that role--- or Fraility, kind of a forgotten 2002 horror/serial killer/demonic thriller, or, like a mutual favorite, The X Files --in which the means of tracking the killer are all real, no superheroes, no special powers, and most of the killers methods are in the realm of plausible but with one part of supernatural. Toombs, The Pusher, that kind of shyt.

In Fraility, everything is real, with one key exception, but the movie essentially unfolds as a legit thriller.

Yeah I seen "Frailty". Dope movie.

And yeah, this movie is straight out of the "X-Files" play book. Hell, Stephen King actually wrote an "X-Files" episode where an evil doll made people hurt/kill themselves.

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
@hex You brought up something. Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Chucky, Ghostface, etc. — I love ‘em, they’re etched in stone on the “Horror Walk of Fame”, but who are our beloved, new blood supernatural killers these days?

Art the Clown? :heh:

I like a lot of the horror that’s dropped over the years, but it’s been lacking in that regard IMO. It’d be cool if we could get some new horror figures off the ground. Ones that could take off with the general audience.