‘Longlegs’ (dir. by Oz Perkins) | Maika Monroe & Nicolas Cage | NEON [7/12]

Daps
Reppin
Canada
What a weird fukking movie.

I loved it :wow: especially that ending.

Was waiting for some kind of super Harker to save the day especially since she's basically written as a savant figuring out Longlegs' language and killer locations on pure instinct. For it to end with her being helpless as Blair kills his wife and the daughter's already been corrupted by Satan. Chef's kiss. Alicia Witt did a really good job; I think the exposition dump could've been quite bad if she didn't put in such a good performance.

Also shout out whoever mentioned Kiernan Shipka in here. Wow she was phenomenal. Never watched Netflix Sabrina only saw her in Totally Killer and she was superb in that as well.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This was fukking sick. Maybe a new classic. I pretty much agree with the Silence of the Lambs. a new one

The direction was excellent. The lighting and set design. This is what a movie should look like. Real places. He even films a scene where the trees are moving in the wind. The scene in her house. The whole movie is masterful in tension and unnerving the viewer.

Add a fukking insane performance from Cage. A great performance by Underwood. His final scene. The look he gives as he shuts the door was just enough to signal. You know his character's arc as soon as he's revealed. His suits. His demeanor. Take me home.

The lead was good. Her first scenes were impressive. Some unsettling scenes and a great score.

I put together a lot of the movie, the birthday, some other minor things, but I missed the obvious ones, and the obvious clues. Nurse. Someone they trusted. That was easy

did catch the HARKER reference. The one who tracks down and kills Dracula, after being in his castle. (some obvious parallels there)

*the date went well lol but not exactly a sexy movie. so that answers that.

Last edited:

Black Staples

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve never seen so many people walk out of a movie lol. Had to be at least 5 or 6 groups of people leave halfway through. Movie was aight. I liked Maxxxine better.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Finally caught it in Poland.

I loved it, but it wasn't AS dope as I had kind of built it up to be. I think it just wasn't as scary as something like Hereditary, which legit creeped me out.

Overall I can't really say that it did anything wrong, and this will be remembered.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I can't credit the direction enough. It's shot better than anything I can think of, besides maybe Ferrari from one of the masters of lighting/color schemes or something like that.

Compared to Maxxine.....the music score was tighter, the direction just had that crispness to it, it's like Fincher. Had to have been a major inspiration. Can't think of anything maxxine did better. The mood. The 70's nods in the opening seconds. The needle drop or whatever.

The 'cleanness' of the shots and the lighting. The way light illuminated from her house, and in all the kind of foggy/evening scenes. The first scene in this cookie cutter townhouses, the natural way that was shot, with the fog, and the stillness of the afternoon. That was sick. Shooting Oregon at sunset. The long shots of the trees lining the highway. Just couldn't be more complimentary about the photography. Dude is extremely talented. Compared to other horror movies, way above, but compared to some of the best directors working today, he's in there.

Audiences are pretty dumbed down now, and I don't even mean to be disrespectful. It was a packed fukking theater. I was shocked. but compared to watching 30 20 second videos on Tik Tok of course this feel slow, but the movie really moves pretty rapidly. it's less than maybe 7 minutes from the opening to the investigation being underway. And you introduce all the main characters. The conflict. The values. The central story themes. A lot of 90's movies moves at a glacial pace compared to that. esp. serial killer thrillers.

The opening scene is very creepy and omimious. That next one sets the tone. At the apartments. Limited exposition. Underwood centers the movie. You can read movies through costume design too, and Underwood is doomed, all black/formal suits, the denial of anything supernatural. it's a great character actor role.

And it punches hard enough to leave a mark. 80% of the audience including my date probably didn't notice anything about the direction. but she caught some shyt that I missed about a satantic symbol being shown around the Mom or something. I realized that most people watch movies the way children do, the way I did as a child, only concerned about the plot and the 'what'. They can't see the style, they can't hear the music. but that's the nature of these things.

Last edited:

Carrera Lu

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jerz
It was ok, I liked it. For some reason it was never unsettling to me like everyones been saying. The teases and trailers were, the film itself not really. Might have worked better as a mini series.

Weird is the feeling I got more than unsettled. All the character behavior just came off weird. Gave the whole thing a fever dream vibe and so the surrealism overpowered the horror for me. Nic Cage was good but he's still Nic Cage and you will laugh when you aren't supposed to.

Maybe it's a more unnerving watch in isolation vs a theater with people around, I think it would have hit better if I waited. Also hoping there's some alternate endings on blu-ray.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I can't credit the direction enough. It's shot better than anything I can think of, besides from maybe Ferrari from one of the masters of lighting/color schemes or something like that.

Compared to Maxxine.....the music score was tighter, the direction just had that crispness to it, it's like Fincher. Had to have been a major inspiration. Can't think of anything maxxine did better. The mood. The 70's nods in the opening seconds. The needle drop or whatever.

The 'cleanness' of the shots and the lighting. The way light illuminated from her house, and in all the kind of foggy/evening scenes. The first scene in this cookie cutter townhouses, the natural way that was shot, with the fog, and the stillness of the afternoon. That was sick. Shooting Oregon at sunset. The long shots of the trees lining the highway. Just couldn't be more complimentary about the photography. Dude is extremely talented. Compared to other horror movies, way above, but compared to some of the best directors working today, he's in there.

Audiences are pretty dumbed down now, and I don't even mean to be disrespectful. but compared to watching 30 20 second videos on Tik Tok of course this feel slow, but the movie really moves pretty rapidly. The opening scene is very creepy and omimious. That next one sets the tone. At the apartments. Limited exposition. Underwood centers the movie.

And it punches hard enough to leave a mark.
Put some respect on Andres Arochi's name as well. Mexican cinematographers are some of the best out

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Put some respect on Andres Arochi's name as well. Mexican cinematographers are some of the best out

don't even know his work and I tend to use the director and other titles interchangeably, but right. Will check his other features. He had like a Dante Spinotti vibe here.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
don't even know his work and I tend to use the director and other titles interchangeably, but right. Will check his other features. He had like a Dante Spinotti vibe here.
I'm not either. But I believe this was his coming out party

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
The First Omen is still the best horror movie this year.
Yep. My favourite movie of the year still.

This movie was good. I don't know why I keep watching these horror movies I'm on the edge of my seat dying of anxiety. The lead actress killed this, especially the ward visit and the tape viewing.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
There were creepy scenes not just from the build up and what was present along with the music etc but the background also added some nightmarish joys; especially when they paused the Longlegs interview video on the monitor/TV screen.
Yeah, I fukked with how some of the camerawork played tricks on my mind. The bit where Lee is sitting at her home desk had me on edge.

The way the camera was positioned to showcase the dark kitchen in the background made me think someone was gonna pop out on some

tumblr_pxfp8wh6Z21qgojgxo4_540.gifv

She needed to invest in some curtains in the worst way though.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
So, frustrating! I wanted to love this one, and I do think it's really good. But I didn't love it. I'm hoping I'll find more to appreciate about the reveals on rewatches.

For now, I prefer the Blackcoat's Daughter over this one. But that's always gonna be tough to beat in my book. Perkins is gonna have an all-time resume when it's all said and done.
furnace clicking intensifies