Live Now! HR 40 Reparations for African American Slavery Congressional Hearing

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
What is Yvette saying about living away from whites due to allowing them the benefit?
many people romanticize Jim Crow and Segregation as "we were better off, we had our own______". But what also came with that was limited resources, over-policing, etc...while white neighborhoods soaked up all the resources. I understand that sentiment behind the first part. Like I'm sure there was a small part of that period where it was nice to have a totally black neighborhood with no white people around, but we were definitely not separate but equal. We still ended up with "the hood"...poverty/crime/death/over-policing/etc...

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
many people romanticize Jim Crow and Segregation as "we were better off, we had our own______". But what also came with that was limited resources, over-policing, etc...while white neighborhoods soaked up all the resources. I understand that sentiment behind the first part. Like I'm sure there was a small part of that period where it was nice to have a totally black neighborhood with no white people around, but we were definitely not separate but equal. We still ended up with "the hood"...poverty/crime/death/over-policing/etc...

Yep and thats the part folks never talk about. My grandfather (on my mothers side) and his family literally got ran off their land and ran out of the south by the klan and racist whites.

There are countless stories like this. Then on my fathers side his mother and her family were as you said shut out of resources in the south. Living in basically 3rd world conditions in Mississippi at that time.

Not to mention how black folks then literally had no civil rights. shyt we take for granted now they didn't even have then.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I actually think Yvette was actually agreeing with Coates there.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
wrong

the black economist was speaking fire
Dr. Malveaux and the white woman, Katrina Browne, spit some truth. Sad when you had brothers up there arguing against reparations and a white person that directly benefitted from slavery saying "yeah we owe black people everything they want".

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta

Got it. True.

See, I didn't get that from Coates statement.

How was it capitalist though? Just trying to understand her pushback.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dr. Malveaux and the white woman, Katrina Browne, spit some truth. Sad when you had brothers up there arguing against reparations and a white person that directly benefitted from slavery saying "yeah we owe black people everything they want".

Oh Dr. Malveaux was up there? Good that sista been talking about reparations since I was a kid. She is one if the smartest economist from a black perspective out there IMO.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Damn, just caught up in this thread.

Although some hiccups, I thought the hearing went well. We learn from our mistakes during this run, improve on them, and come back stronger next time.

We’ve got them talking, and now it’s on us to keep them talking. Those who were doing work before, keep on doing work. Those who weren’t and would like to get involved, please get involved, as we need all the help we can get. Those who don’t want to get involved or doesn’t believe in the cause, that’s cool, just please stay out the way.

I’m just tired of the bickering. Let’s regroup, and continue the fight. Whatever group you are apart of, I don’t care. If you’re for reparations, then it will show in time.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Damn, just caught up in this thread.

Although some hiccups, I thought the hearing went well. We learn from our mistakes during this run, improve on them, and come back stronger next time.

We’ve got them talking, and now it’s on us to keep them talking. Those who were doing work before, keep on doing work. Those who weren’t and would like to get involved, please get involved, as we need all the help we can get. Those who don’t want to get involved or doesn’t believe in the cause, that’s cool, just please stay out the way.

I’m just tired of the bickering. Let’s regroup, and continue the fight. Whatever group you are apart of, I don’t care. If you’re for reparations, then it will show in time.
exactly
except for one obvious person in here

it feels good to see us come together instead of bickering

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Powerful Hearing especially the Coates part about theft a simple yet effective way to put it. I disagree with Dr. Malveaux (don't know whether she is being diplomatically) but people are not ignorant of the history instead just are evil and are not operating in good faith.
Yep, but obviously she can't just state that. So it's understandable why she said the ignorant part