Little Mermaid tanks in both China and South Korea amid a racist backlash over the casting of #HalleBailey in the role of Ariel

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Both things can happen, especially in an industry where production and distribution is still overwhelmingly controlled by non-Black people. If Black actors want to push to open up casting for these roles, I'm not going to get mad at them. I'm definitely not going to start parroting those disingenuous ass tropes about lazy writing or "forced" inclusion. And it's not like those original character/stories are going to do well over there either, because that's not what this is about. And before you mention Black Panther like it's some kind of gotcha. It's not an original character and its creator is white. It's also a Marvel property that was released over there during the MCU boom period.
Certain roles I get it, like James Bond. Literally bond anyone can be played by anyone British
That doesn't answer the question.

Why is casting a black woman as Ariel irresponsible?

Nope. Mermaids are folklore in many cultures around the world.

Ariel isn't a white mermaid, though.
Did I not Answer multiple posts back, casting predominantly white characters into black face is lazy writing and largely unimpressive. Granted there is a black Superman (Calvin Ellis) but turning kal el himself black would be lazy writing if you wanted to spur inclusion into the works

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
That doesn't answer the question.

Why is casting a black woman as Ariel irresponsible?

Nope. Mermaids are folklore in many cultures around the world.

Ariel isn't a white mermaid, though.

@GrindtooFilthy already answered your question.

We need more original roles. Not last minute copy and pasted ideas.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Both things can happen, especially in an industry where production and distribution is still overwhelmingly controlled by non-Black people. If Black actors want to push to open up casting for these roles, I'm not going to get mad at them. I'm definitely not going to start parroting those disingenuous ass tropes about lazy writing or "forced" inclusion. And it's not like those original character/stories are going to do well over there either, because that's not what this is about. And before you mention Black Panther like it's some kind of gotcha. It's not an original character and its creator is white. It's also a Marvel property that was released over there during the MCU boom period.

So you're good with last minute, last thought mediocrity? Ok.

I'll stick with Django, Black Panther, Blade, Spawn, Equalizer, etc. as to what black folks should be striving for. You can keep your little mermaid theme.

Last edited:

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps
Fast & Furious, Spiderverse, Black Panther & plenty of other movies with black characters do well in those countries. Maybe they aren't feeling this because they don't have a subset of man/womanchildren trying to convince everyone that this is anything more than a soulless cash grab via another shytty disney remake. I hope it keeps flopping tbh.

And the stuff about china removing black characters off of posters is mostly, if not entirely misinformation. I was fooled myself at one point

xkKVN2Q.jpeg

HioZ5EZ.jpeg

main-qimg-19bc7268f7aa7751dca3744c2a6b5060-lq

1388468_marvel_895845.jpg

That being said, this isn't me saying there's 0% racism in those countries. I gotta put that in for the reactionary nikkas.

:mjlol:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Daps
Certain roles I get it, like James Bond. Literally bond anyone can be played by anyone British

Did I not Answer multiple posts back, casting predominantly white characters into black face is lazy writing and largely unimpressive. Granted there is a black Superman (Calvin Ellis) but turning kal el himself black would be lazy writing if you wanted to spur inclusion into the works

@GrindtooFilthy already answered your question.

We need more original roles. Not last minute copy and pasted ideas.

That's great, but its not the reason why the Chinese are against the film and called it "irresponsible" casting.

I'll answer it for you guys: they're against it because the mermaid is black. Like the post above me said, if an Asian broad was casted to play Ariel, they would've showed out in droves.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
That's great, but its not the reason why the Chinese are against the film and called it "irresponsible" casting.

I'll answer it for you guys: they're against it because the mermaid is black. Like the post above me said, if an Asian broad was casted to play Ariel, they would've showed out in droves.
If the mermaid was Japanese that movie would tank in China.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How many theatres was it released in? This is the most important question.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Forpsoken had issues I can see but deathloop got nothing but praise for its creativity
Deathloop was universally praised by journalists for its gameplay, but sold like shyt. I wonder why? :mjpls:

White gamers went in on Forspoken for being "woke" long before the technical issues came to light.

Look at reactions to Alan Wake 2 for having a black female co lead character.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
So you agree that the ethnicity of the mermaid was the problem, not them wanting "more original black characters."
You keep trying to use race & ethnicity interchangeably. That’s the problem here

An Asian mermaid would flop in China regardless Unless said mermaid happened to be Chinese.

Little mermaid May have performed terribly in China but what about the Phillipines where it was well received?

Deathloop was universally praised by journalists for its gameplay, but sold like shyt. I wonder why? :mjpls:

White gamers went in on Forspoken for being "woke" long before the technical issues came to light.

Look at reactions to Alan Wake 2 for having a black female co lead character.
I’m not saying you’re wrong but would remaking already existing characters into black face make the situation any better instead of having original characters?