Little Mermaid tanks in both China and South Korea amid a racist backlash over the casting of #HalleBailey in the role of Ariel

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
they gonna go out in droves to see that teenage kraken movie. it is what it is. I didnt see it either so.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
nikkas so happy to have representation by a company whose founder was a full blown racist
Keep up the blackity black y’all instead of wanting original ip’s faux coli militants
Straight out a comic book
:why:

How are you going to shift the blame to Black people and away from the people actually being racist?

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
Aladdin did as well with Will Smith in the helm. I think part of it is Halle Bailey doesn’t have the starpower overseas like that.

Will was blue in that movie :mjpls:

And the previous Ariel didn't have any starpower either, but she was a cartoon cacette.

But if they don't like Black leads in movies just keep pushing those types of films over there with exactly that until they get over it. :mjgrin:

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Will was blue in that movie :mjpls:

And the previous Ariel didn't have any starpower either, but she was a cartoon cacette.

But if they don't like Black leads in movies just keep pushing those types of films over there with exactly that until they get over it.
The difference being that box office wasn’t as dependent on overseas revenue as it is now.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
:why:

How are you going to shift the blame to Black people and away from the people actually being racist?
begging a room of majority white writers to include and write black stories is a bad look.

We should acknowledge that racism is still a plague on the majority of society AND that we should begin to slowly create our own media… ie Gracie’s Corner

Daps
China keeps 80% of the gate receipts for movies over there...including Disney.

It's damn near impossible to make $$$.

The whole narrative is designed to discourage Black people from being the face. Media is trying to sell two messages: look how racist Red China is....and this is what happens when you push "diversity."

There's no nuance so they'll just try to erase Black directors, actors etc., from any big time movie unless it's funded by Tyler Perry and Oprah.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This was already posted
Like I said before of you look at the numbers and consider it’s a kids movie it did not tank in those countries

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps

To hell with everybody who holds these views. I don't know how so many non-white people can be so fukking brainwashed.

Aaah "political correctness." Chinese so behind the times with their racism they ain't even know "woke" has become the new buzzword for insecure bigots.

Imagine if a Chinese or Korean woman was casted to star in a reimagined Disney tale and it was bemoaned as "forced inclusion" in the country.

People come up with the greatest poetry to explain their shallow, simple minded racisn. They can just say they are culturally unfamiliar and uncomfortable with seeing black people in positions of power, nobility, and beauty, and I would respect that more than this nonsense.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And yet nobody wants to talk about it. They'd rather focus entirely on white supremacy, as if we aren't watching an even more anti-black group constantly gain more and more power. In this country and abroad.
Anti black racism among Asians is part of white supremacy. Do you really not understand the system we are living in?