Lil Wayne calls Andre 3000's remarks about rapping over 40 "depressing"

Superstar
Daps
As a creative, I don’t see how you can look at the current world and not have anything to rap about.

Sometimes you just don’t feel like it or want to share that particular art with other people. I used to paint and sketch daily. I won art competitions as a child and teen. The older I got the less I felt like sharing what I created.

When I got back from Afghanistan all my depression and anxiety would build up and I’d start creating again, just for myself. I’d sketch (pencil or charcoal) some of the more traumatic situations my platoon was in, some of the dead/dying patients I had, and some of the kids we’d meet while patrolling.

As soon as I got it out I’d bury my art in a drawer or tough box. They’re beautiful but I didn’t and still don’t care if anyone sees or appreciates them. I just needed to get some shyt out and move on. Some family and friends want to see them, my girl wants to see them, my daughter will probably want to see them. I don’t care, they’ll just have to find it all before I trash it.

My family still asks me to paint shyt for them but I just have no desire to create like that again. I find peace doing other shyt. Just because I’m good at something doesn’t mean I owe anybody a piece of what I’m good at.

I can wholeheartedly sympathize with Andre Benjamin, the man. He don’t owe anybody shyt. People are taking his choice to find peace in something else personally, like bitter ass bytches. Like he’s going to hear some random forum member’s challenge, look in the mirror and run out on somebody’s stage like 8 mile because they need a musical daddy or some shyt lmao.

As a creative there may very well be plenty of inspiration out there in the world for you. For some of us, we’ve seen enough that it’s just background noise like TV static. A lot of it just doesn’t mean anything to me anymore. I find inspiration in the shyt that makes me feel alive again. I used to question why my dad buried or tossed his work as a profession new photographer and journalist. I know it was his dream, but when it couldn’t feed his family he chucked that shyt because it didn’t mean anything to him anymore. He found peace in raising us.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
As a creative, I don’t see how you can look at the current world and not have anything to rap about.

He only makes music for himself. I would guess that he lives the type of life on his own terms to where he isn't feeling the urge to prove anyone wrong nor make a point to anyone... When you're making rap music for other people it's usually directly in response to their bullshyt or on the other end of the spectrum, trying to win them over. In his current life, neither of those are a priority so the urge isn't there :manny:

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
obviously most hiphop heads knew he was talking bout 3thou.. but i like wayne keeping it respectful.. could tell it really did mess with him though..

sidenote.. 3000 will release a rap album .. eventually

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Not sure what message we're supposed to take from this.

Wayne has been rapping about the same shyt for 20 years. Andre is not going to do "Crumblin' Erb 2" at damn near 50.

That's the issue. It's not as if Wanye is rapping about going grocery shopping and doing laundry. Andre is saying he doesn't think (and he's probably wrong) nobody wants to hear him rap about mundane 48 year old shyt.

Fred.
i mean, I feel Andre and I’m good with what he’s given us as OutKast. But the could rap about literally anything he’s interested in.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
When some ppl get there they just get there. I know for sure shyt that appealed to me at 25 is now mostly "cringe worthy". Even the shyt I liked and that I think is still classic hip hop I just don't wanna hear anymore. I'm also a person who will say that we chose the wrong path in hip hop starting in 88-89. Which is a big reason why rappers generally can't age gracefully in the hip hop genre.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
The context about Andre that’s missing from this discussion, is that in all reality he gave up on hip hop over 20 YEARS AGO…his last full length rap contribution was released in the year 2000 (Stankonia)…The Love Below was very famously not rap…the greatest rap group of all time was prematurely ended AT IT’S ABSOLUTE PEAK, because Andre could no longer be bothered to make hip hop at any kind of full time basis or even perform hip hop music that he already created…the “oh people don’t want to hear what I have to rap about at 48” bullshyt is just the latest excuse from a guy that lost his passion for rapping literally decades ago…literally nothing but sporadic one-off verses from him since the year 2000, when he was 24 years old.

So the whole subject matter and age thing conversation from him is a disingenuous take from an artist who while obviously immensely talented at the craft, has treated the art form as some kind of burdensome nuisance that’s kept him from his true calling as a painfully mediocre actor or…hilariously….a conceptual jazz flutist

Wayne is a dude that has a natural joy for rapping…people be fronting like he’s completely washed, and that’s fine…even at the peak of his career he was polarizing and not everyone’s favorite….but he’s still one of the nicest rappers doing it IMO…has numerous of my favorite verses of the year and just put out one of my favorite rap albums of the year like two weeks ago…all by not doing nothing special but doing what he loves to do…

And it’s like that with pretty much all the stuff I like the most now…Jeezy just put out one of the best projects of his career…Killer Mike made my AOTY..Nas has that same joy for rapping I hear from Wayne (the joint they have together on Magic 3 is one of my favorites of the year) and he’s largely rapping about the same shyt he has for years just from an older perspective…and he’s older than Andre

Long story short, stacks issue isn’t an age thing at all…it’s a lack of love of hip hop thing, let’s be honest

Last edited:

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
That shyt wasn’t depressing it was dissapointing.

Dude supposed to be this deep, spiritual, bigger than rap, been out the way traveling the world ethereal being…and you have nothing to say :snoop:

So he really is the male Badu :francis: we assumed she was some deep spiritual woman meanwhile she’s just another Dallas bih. Andre just another Atlanta breh
Andre is sincere.

He doesn't want to lie and give some fake deep grown man Hip-Hop (I see you Jigga)...

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It Was A Poor Excuse From Andre Honestly

And I’m Sure He’s Happy In Life But When Talking About Making “Rap” Music This Deflated And Defeated Look Came Over Him

He Don’t Owe Us Shiit But I’m Just Saying