Lets talk about KRS-One being the most overrated oldschool lyricist

Broccoli Rob

TTG LOL
Daps
Reppin
BX
Bruh I can't believe you actually said that. Krs-One was profound and great at what he did...but Rakim changed the way people rhymed and the way emcees approached a verse. He turned the fukking game on it's ear my nikka. I'm so appalled right now...he pratically introduced the game to a new type of lyricism. It was him, Kane and G rap really IMO

:pachaha:

Chill man. It's just a matter of opinion. I never felt that way... he was just on some complex kinda futuristic imagery shlt, laced with five percenter rhetoric. Which was dope and everything, but to me it didn't really stand the test of time. And, for a long time after the Juice song, he really didn't make shlt else that was hot until the 18th Letter joint - which wasn't really what I'd call solid itself.

Just not for me. Not animated enough, which a rapper like Nas makes up for with really vivid storytelling. He just didn't do it for me. I would then, and still do, take Slick Rick, KRS, Kane, and mad other people way before I'd listen to Ra. Can't front on a bunch of his songs, but he washed out early.

Remember how on the "Unauthorized Biography" joint Nas said he "came on the stage with lasers in his eyes?" Yeah, he had an intense presence in that way, but he bored me... just pacing back and forth.

I dunno, you're definitely not the first person to say I'm wilding, but that's my opinion on him.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
At the end of the day, KRS is A top 5 greatest MC of all time.

Can never take that away from him..... Deal with it :yes:

That's a matter of opinion, and you are certainly welcome to yours. But I bet he'd have a hard time cracking most folks top 5.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
At the end of the day, KRS is A top 5 greatest MC of all time.

Can never take that away from him..... Deal with it :yes:

.... Top 5 at sticking to hip hop roots.. You can't be serious about top 5 MC. Off the top of the dome right now, I know u can name 5 others who are more talented. think about it.

the rhyme king

truth.com
Daps
Reppin
i refuse to conform
Yo, Marley gives the slice, I get nice,
and my voice is twice as horrifying as Vincent Price
goes deep, till you fell in a spell of a sleep,
and while I'm countin' the money, you count sheep.
When G Rap strikes the mic, I recite the type of hype that you like,
and make the people unite.
I grip up hips and zip up lips, step on reps, you flip and wanna sip on my tip.
Take a deep breath, because you don't have another left.

KRS-ONE IMO DON'T HAVE A VERSE fukkING WITH THIS

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Now hold on there:whoa:Shammago. I promise you this aint no diss thread.

KRS-One was alot of things:
Dope Artist
Great Music
Elite Mic Presence
Dropped mad knowledge

But dude was also a very simple rhymer(which is fine) who always got credit for being an elite or complex rhymer on the level of his comtemporaries.

Rakim
Kool G. Rap
Big Daddy Kane
etc...

Dude wasn't no where near seeing those cats in that category of rhyming.

I bet most would put dude over the likes of Ice Cube or LL Cool J in that category simply based on reputation & subject matter. But I just don't hear it and never have.

so nice, i tried to dap it twice.

When has being "complex" ever equated to you being a better MC? And WTF is that anyway? "Complex"?

Rakim, Kane and G Rap were phenomenal lyricists, but there's more to being a great MC, than just being ill with multi's and punchlines. None of those three rocks a show like Kris did. And to be honest, he probably has more classic records than all three too.

Dude's a Top 3 MC of all-time. And it ain't due to subject matter.

all of this could be said about ice cube.

btw, KRS dont rock a show like big daddy kane.

As far as Rakim, he's not overrated lyrically. But I agree that his discography no longer warrants a Top 5 placement.

you lost me there with rakim's discog not warranting a top 5 placement.

That was my point, maybe he was lumped with the others because he was also from NY. On some, "yeah of course he's lyrical he's from NY" shyt.

i think thats a factor.

another factor being that hes "mr hip-hop" and attracts a super-lyrical backpackish crowd because of it.

thesandman

Peace.
Daps
Reppin
Zion
Yo, Marley gives the slice, I get nice,
and my voice is twice as horrifying as Vincent Price
goes deep, till you fell in a spell of a sleep,
and while I'm countin' the money, you count sheep.
When G Rap strikes the mic, I recite the type of hype that you like,
and make the people unite.
I grip up hips and zip up lips, step on reps, you flip and wanna sip on my tip.
Take a deep breath, because you don't have another left.

KRS-ONE IMO DON'T HAVE A VERSE fukkING WITH THIS
Wish I could dap this twice. Truest sh1t in the thread :salute:

Shammago

By Any Means
Daps
Reppin
Sun rises in the East
.... Top 5 at sticking to hip hop roots.. You can't be serious about top 5 MC. Off the top of the dome right now, I know u can name 5 others who are more talented. think about it.

I didn't say top 5 of today, I said top 5 of all time. His first 3 albums alone cement his status. U know this.:youngsabo:

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
KRS invented the off-beat style and built on the throne of Melle Mel just like Rakim built off Kool Moe Dee and Big Daddy Kane off Grandmaster Caz
....this thread is ignorance on top of ignorance

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
KRS invented the off-beat style and built on the throne of Melle Mel just like Rakim built off Kool Moe Dee and Big Daddy Kane off Grandmaster Caz
....this thread is ignorance on top of ignorance

what does this have to do with the thread title?