Lets talk about KRS-One being the most overrated oldschool lyricist

CAC Dogg

Rookie
Daps
This thread makes no sense, you are criticizing him for something that wasn't even his goal (complex rhymes). If you don't like his style that doesn't make him overrated, it means you don't appreciate him for what he is: original. Anyway, I don't understand who prefers constant rhyming or multi syllable rhymes to deep poetic meaningful lyrics. Any kid can rhyme, it takes knowledge to make meaningful music, and that's what separates KRS, hes overall just a brighter, more knowledgeable and down to earth guy than any other emcee.He took Hip Hop beyond just a musical fad and made it a culture that's recognized world wide. He lasted about four times as long as any old school cat and is STILL making some of the best, if not the best, rap today.

No emcee can touch this discography... http://www.sputnikmusic.com/list.php?memberid=1035697&listid=131145#1 ... most have about 5 classic songs, KRS has about 50.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
as much of a KRS hater as i am..i still hate when people say someone like he or Pac isnt lyrical...is he not spitting lyrics about complex or relatable subjects? thats lyrical to me..you dont have to rhyme every syllable to have lyrics

half the cats matching up every bar got nothing to say anyway

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Im one of those nikkaz that be like "so....this is who everybody dikkrides?" When listening to KRS One

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet

Hell naw...I never peeped that was Heather B in that video.

Its hard to have a conversation about music from the past w/ people who werent there. Younger cats are comparing KRS to todays standards, not really knowing what it felt like to be around in those days.
The reason the OP easily puts BDK, Rakim etc... ahead of KRS is because those rappers mentioned have a flow similar to today's artist, so its much easier to digest/understand them.
That doesnt mean KRS shouldnt be mentioned w/ them though. He personified that time period.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
First, me personally I would have put LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and Rakim in front of him anyway...

But I never looked at KRS one as this lyrically juggernaut, he was the teacher and alot times his shyt was simple, but I thought it was effective cause he was usually trying to get a message across and you don't people trying to decipher your lyrics if you trying to inform them...

I don't really think he is that Overrated cause I just don't know that many people that rate him that highly. I never really listen to to his and BDP albums a whole lot, but there wre always 2-3 songs that i felt... This one is probably my favorite KRS one

This is one of the greatest hip hop songs of all time. This song is 100% real Hip hop.:wow:
Everything about it justified our artform as the last great lyrical musical creation :obama:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
The resolute truth is that Krs One is even better than Rakim, Kane & Slick Rick. He's also better than LL. Krs One is truly cut from a sacred cloth. I would follow him into battle.