Lets talk about KRS-One being the most overrated oldschool lyricist

Batter Up

Superstar
Daps
I'm a fan of KRS but this thread is the truth whether nostalgic hiphop purist geeks want to hear it or not.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Let's not talk about it, cus it's not true.

He's kind of outta touch now, but back then he was the shlt and spit with the best of them.

You must not have been around to put it in context.

Next.

Actually I was and I owned Criminal Minded & By All Means Necessary on tape. His classic material is still the shyt, but how does that change the facts?

Broccoli Rob

TTG LOL
Daps
Reppin
BX
Actually I was and I owned Criminal Minded & By All Means Necessary on tape. His classic material is still the shyt, but how does that change the facts?

What facts, dude was nice as hell on the mic...?

Just cus he wasn't on the multisyllabic G Rap and Kane shyt doesn't mean they were nicer. KRS came off every time. You ask me Rakim is the most overrated.

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
lol i fukks with KRS cuz he seem like a humble nikka

but dog aint nobody in life checkin for dat nikka

back then and most def now

da nikka is just old enough to speak on shyt that happened back then so thats why he still get interviews n shyt lolol

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
What facts, dude was nice as hell on the mic...?

Just cus he wasn't on the multisyllabic G Rap and Kane shyt doesn't mean they were nicer. KRS came off every time. You ask me Rakim is the most overrated.

They were nicer rhymers than him yes, doesn't mean they made better music, which ultimately is more important. I could post tracks that Too Short killed, but I bet nobody would take offense if I said Too Short was a simple rhymer.

As far as Rakim, he's not overrated lyrically. But I agree that his discography no longer warrants a Top 5 placement.

the rhyme king

truth.com
Daps
Reppin
i refuse to conform
They were nicer rhymers than him yes, doesn't mean they made better music, which ultimately is more important. I could post tracks that Too Short killed, but I bet nobody would take offense if I said Too Short was a simple rhymer.

As far as Rakim, he's not overrated lyrically. But I agree that his discography no longer warrants a Top 5 placement.

dude u fukking up your own arguement how u compare too short and krs-one when they were two different type of rapeprs lmao and besides your opinion is just that a opinion not a fact.

Broccoli Rob

TTG LOL
Daps
Reppin
BX

See, I respectfully disagree that KRS was a simplistic rhymer a la Too $hort or Erik Sermon or something. I thought he kinda went it. I guess I'll have to disagree to disagree.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Now hold on there:whoa:Shammago. I promise you this aint no diss thread.

KRS-One was alot of things:
Dope Artist
Great Music
Elite Mic Presence
Dropped mad knowledge

But dude was also a very simple rhymer(which is fine) who always got credit for being an elite or complex rhymer on the level of his comtemporaries.

Rakim
Kool G. Rap
Big Daddy Kane
etc...

Dude wasn't no where near seeing those cats in that category of rhyming.

I bet most would put dude over the likes of Ice Cube or LL Cool J in that category simply based on reputation & subject matter. But I just don't hear it and never have.

G rap rakim and kane could not compare to what KRS brought to the table conceptually. KRS got his message across by delivering hot lines without complex rhyme patterns. KRS ones music was mroe thought provoking then all of the artists you mentioned. KRS is great because he was in the middle. Not to simple and not to complex. He gave you what you needed to know without dumbing it down or making it to difficult to understand.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
See, I respectfully disagree that KRS was a simplistic rhymer a la Too $hort or Erik Sermon or something. I thought he kinda went it. I guess I'll have to disagree to disagree.

I'm not saying he was as basic as Too Short, my point was only that saying that he killed a track don't mean that he didn't kill it while being basic at the same time.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I grow up on G Rap, Rakim, KRS and Kane's best work. Thing was, KRS had joints for me for mad years. He was around before them, and had a career that lasted longer than theirs, and still dropped heat and classics. So I kinda always had KRS ahead of those three we mentioned earlier. That's my dude!

I just don't think many embody what Hip Hop or being an MC is, more than he does. He was the complete MC. The dude had no weaknesses. The same can't be said for the other three, as great as they are.

Main problem I had with KRS was he fell to the quanity over quailty. After his 2nd solo album he put out a lot of :ehh: to :scusthov: albums.

He became hella simple on the mic with his ABC rhyme schemes after his 2 solo albums(in which had improved immensely with the rhyme schemes).

As for classics Rakim has just as many if not more classics than KRS. Rakim has no weakness on the mic.

As for stage performance Kane is the best out the group, G Rap is the weakest, Rakim the most underrated and KRS the most overrrated. I've seen KRS perform many times and jumping around stage is cool and fits his persona but it ain't funkin with Kane's overall performance. Rakim's performances have always been cool because they fit his persona and I get to take in the rhymes in a live setting w/out all the extra histrionics. I've only seen G Rap once and it was not memorable.

As for what the OP said I agree...never saw KRS on Rakim/Kane/G Rap/Moe D level when it came to straight spittin/complex rhyme schemes. He just made great songs and albums like they did. He was on LL/Slick Rick/Cube level of spittin until LL proved he could fuc with Ra and them on the Walking With A Panther album.

There are a lot of people over 30 who have KRS as the GOAT EMCEE and lyricist.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Again Quality over quanity. Rakim arguably has the best discography

Paid In Full - Classic
Follow The Leader - Classic
Let The Rhythm Hit Em - Classic
Don't Sweat The Technique - Near Classic
The 18th Letter - Near Classic

Countless Classic songs. Rakim sticks to what makes him great and masters instead of being of jack of trades a master of none...which can equate to a lot of sh!tty albums and good albums with filler.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
G rap rakim and kane could not compare to what KRS brought to the table conceptually. KRS got his message across by delivering hot lines without complex rhyme patterns. KRS ones music was mroe thought provoking then all of the artists you mentioned. KRS is great because he was in the middle. Not to simple and not to complex. He gave you what you needed to know without dumbing it down or making it to difficult to understand.

And KRS couldn't do what Rakim/Kane/G Rap did conceptually.

Have you heard that train wreck Spiritually Minded...he should of stayed out that lane and left that to Rakim.

KRS was the Scottie Pippen of Hip Hop...Jack of all Trades Master of One. He was Master Hip Hop Historian. Rakim/G Rap/Kane couldn't come close to funkin with KRS on that level and they were smart of enough to realize that and left that lane to KRS.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Main problem I had with KRS was he fell to the quanity over quailty. After his 2nd solo album he put out a lot of :ehh: to :scusthov: albums.

He became hella simple on the mic with his ABC rhyme schemes after his 2 solo albums(in which had improved immensely with the rhyme schemes).

As for classics Rakim has just as many if not more classics than KRS. Rakim has no weakness on the mic.

As for stage performance Kane is the best out the group, G Rap is the weakest, Rakim the most underrated and KRS the most overrrated. I've seen KRS perform many times and jumping around stage is cool and fits his persona but it ain't funkin with Kane's overall performance. Rakim's performances have always been cool because they fit his persona and I get to take in the rhymes in a live setting w/out all the extra histrionics. I've only seen G Rap once and it was not memorable.

As for what the OP said I agree...never saw KRS on Rakim/Kane/G Rap/Moe D level when it came to straight spittin/complex rhyme schemes. He just made great songs and albums like they did. He was on LL/Slick Rick/Cube level of spittin until LL proved he could fuc with Ra and them on the Walking With A Panther album.

There are a lot of people over 30 who have KRS as the GOAT EMCEE and lyricist.
Agreed with the bolded.

Though Blueprint, Edutainment, Return Of The Boom Bap, KRS-One, & I Got Next were all dope albums. Everything after I Got Next was :trash: though

And IMO G Rap >>> the rest. Best lyricist and best catalogue. All his 1st 5 albums are classics.