Lets keep it 100....does "Get Out" deserve any Oscars?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I liked get Out, and I think that it deserves its nomination and to win.

I'm just saying that its completely possible for them to do what they do.

and for the record, I couldn't give any less fukks about who wins or doesn't cuz all that shyt is BS and politics. The facade that they are so genuine and really care about the arts and all that other nonsense is a joke.

but, I wasn't a huge fan of the Shape of water for some reason. I usually love Del toro's work, but The shape of water was just average to me

Of course it’s possible for it not to win. But our senses are so high we won’t allow for the fact that a governing body of a lot of different artists, including plenty of minorities if anyone bothered to look, preferred another movie over it. So if The Shape Of Water does win then I fully expect cats to say they’re racists and it was too real etc etc. and that’s the shyt that confuses me.

We have dissenting opinions here. I loved The Shape Of Water. You thought it was meh and we both love del toro. We have comic book threads filling up this place all with pissing fights about whether a movie is bad or good. So eventually we have to allow for the fact that we all don’t think alike and have different opinions.

Of course it’s hard to separate that from a perceived history of bias and racial ignorance. It’s toufh to divorce the history of race in this country from a movie that jama that history in the face of its viewers and say “yeah well that’s why it didn’t win” and it’s tough to ignore the history of Oscar voters being old white men. I get it. I get all that. But the fact of the matter is we can’t always go to our base instincts.

I’d love for the movie to win. I truly believe it’s the best movie of last year. But I’m also cool with the idea of someone saying “nah it wasn’t” and giving props and merit to something else. It’s no different than any other year when movies I loved are nominated and they don’t win because of something else.

Last edited:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I am doing nothing of the sort, just saying that it is completely possible for the academy to nominate something to fend off any backlash.

Bringing this up pointlessly muddies the waters. It's just as possible that those who nominated "Get Out" genuinely thought the film was Oscar-worthy, not to placate black audiences.

Why bring up this suggestion without any supporting evidence that this is the case?

This is baseless speculation that gives the illusion of a credible thought.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bringing this up pointlessly muddies the waters. It's just as possible that those who nominated "Get Out" genuinely thought the film was Oscar-worthy, not to placate black audiences.

Why bring up this suggestion without any supporting evidence that this is the case?

Very similar to what the president and congress does right now but :hubie:

Also how is that any worse than a white person looking at a black person at a really good college and saying or inferring they got in due to affirmative action? If you feel like Jordan Peele earned that spot then give the man his props and keep it moving. Don’t drag your people down

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Also how is that any worse than a white person looking at a black person at a really good college and saying or inferring they got in due to affirmative action? If you feel like Jordan Peele earned that spot then give the man his props and keep it moving. Don’t drag your people down

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps

First off...before you continue with your diatribe....my original comment was based off of this...and only this. I didn't initiatie anything just made a reply on this....

Get Out cannot be both unimportant to whites in the Academy and also mainly nominated by whites in the Academy at the same time.

and I said it is completely possible for a movie to be nominated and still be unimportant to ppl in the Academy.

The politics and BS of the Academy is what muddies the water not my personal opinion.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps

we have to separate our own personal feelings and opinions from what we have seen (historically) with the Academy.

they have a proven track record of allowing politics and BS to sway the outcomes of nominations and results.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Homie what movies have you seen in 10 years?

instead of asking me a stupid question (word to the dude who dapped you), why don't you tell me 5 movies in the last 10 years that are on the level of Mask of Zorro?

Go ahead. I'll wait :salute:

edit: that means going from 2008 forward. And please don't mention any 2008-2010 movies on this list. I'm very familiar with them and 'nah'.

TOP 10 MOVIES EACH YEAR SINCE 2000 - IMDb

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
we have to separate our own personal feelings and opinions from what we have seen (historically) with the Academy.

they have a proven track record of allowing politics and BS to sway the outcomes of nominations and results.

Homie...every institution on this planet has a history of politics and BS to sway the outcomes of everything. Nothing is in a vacuum. But every once in a while those politics and BS we bytch about are often the difference between winning and losing for important matters. shyt Jason Blum and Jordan Peele had to attend a lot of parties they didn’t want to, shake a lot of hands, smile for a lot of faces just to get nominated. Just like everyone else not named Meryl Streep. Especially for a movie released in February. Is it perfect? No. But it’s the game and you learn how to play it or you get beat. And when you amass enough knowledge and power maybe maybe maybe one day you can change the game

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
First off...before you continue with your diatribe....my original comment was based off of this...and only this. I didn't initiatie anything just made a reply on this....

and I said it is completely possible for a movie to be nominated and still be unimportant to ppl in the Academy.

The politics and BS of the Academy is what muddies the water not my personal opinion.
Exactly.:myman: Have't seen so many Juelz gif posts in one thread before and I refuse to go through them all cause I said my opinon on the cac oscar nom process.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Well, I'm not a casual. And if you can point to a movie that makes similar social commentary about race wrapped up in sci-fic or horror, I'd eat it up.

I will say though that after reading your rationale for your talking points, I appreciate that you're at least trying to be critical in how you're approaching what you think is Oscar worthy. I definitely think that The Disaster Artist was good but I'm not mad it wasn't nominated. I actually think The Florida Project got snubbed. I also really, really enjoyed My Friend Dahmer, but you know the Academy wasn't touching that movie with a ten foot pole because of the disturbing subject matter. For me that's the biggest crime of all when it comes to the Oscar, movies that truly disturb and rattle people usually don't get noms at all. Shape of the Water is really good but not Del Toro's best. I still think it belongs on the list. I really want to see I, Tonya but they still aren't playing it here. Looking forward to catching it on blu-ray though.

Yeah, you're right. I probably couldn't find one with the race angle...just man in general. The closest relation would be X-Men (comics), and I would always SMH whenever I would have to break down the parallels between Mutants & Black with non-comic readers especially as I got older. This was like 20-25 years ago, before it was really popular, and no one would be interested. I would have no problem if Get Out won, I just don't think that it's that special a movie, looking at it without the race angel. But it has been a while since I really enjoyed an Oscar flick, but I really enjoyed Get Out - but it's missing something to me. I think I've only felt like maybe 6 of the past 15 years were truly special movies.

I want to see black movies, actors, directors win, but my problem (and it is my problem) is that I want to see them win for everything but what I consider overpraise as a way of combating tolkenism. I don't want "it's a good enough movie with POC to just get there" and have this debate. I want to see greatness and there be no debate at all.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Homie...every institution on this planet has a history of politics and BS to sway the outcomes of everything. Nothing is in a vacuum. But every once in a while those politics and BS we bytch about are often the difference between winning and losing for important matters. shyt Jason Blum and Jordan Peele had to attend a lot of parties they didn’t want to, shake a lot of hands, smile for a lot of faces just to get nominated. Just like everyone else not named Meryl Streep. Especially for a movie released in February. Is it perfect? No. But it’s the game and you learn how to play it or you get beat. And when you amass enough knowledge and power maybe maybe maybe one day you can change the game
Thanks for agreeing with me....

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
instead of asking me a stupid question (word to the dude who dapped you), why don't you tell me 5 movies in the last 10 years that are on the level of Mask of Zorro?

Go ahead. I'll wait :salute:

Dark knight
Social network
Moonlight
Selma
John wick
Inception
Inglorious basterds
Zombieland
Star Trek
District 9
Logan
Get out
Fantastic mr Fox
Any Harry Potter movie released from 2008 till the end of the series
The strangers
It follows
It
The babadook
John wick 2
Baby driver
True grit
Wolf of Wall Street
Toy story 3
Kick ass
Zootopia
A team
Argo
The town
Buried
Easy A
Mission impossible ghost protocol
Mission impossible rogue nation
Winter soldier
Guardians of the galaxy 1 or 2. Pick one
Girl with the dragon tattoo
Moneyball
Any planet of the apes movie released since 2011

That’s just odd the top of my head

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps

It was alright, I thought it was overrated though. Think alot of people dug the concept of white people being the race villain, which was cool, but as far as the movie itsself, I wasn't overly impressed at the end of it. Thought it was just okay.....

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Thanks for agreeing with me....

Nah don’t do that :russ: I agree there is politics on everything. I don’t agree that that is the ONLY reason shyt gets done or shyt pops or shyt works. Is ther politics in the advent of affirmative action? Yes. Does that mean every black person who gets into an expensive university with a good reputation is only there because of it? No. Are there some? Of course. That’s the system at work. But to say that every single one of them isn’t there because of their merit or because they were simply better is a disservice to them and asinine.

It’s not binary. So was there a lot of politicking Jason and Jordan had to do? Of course. But is that the only reason they were nominated? No. A lot of films do that politicking. Logan did that same politicking and all it got was a screenwriting nod. Of the handful of movies selected there are many many many more that aren’t selected and they’re going through the same process everyone else does. They got there because they made one of the best movies of the year and it deserved its spot