Lets keep it 100....does "Get Out" deserve any Oscars?

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
When she let the monster smash...I knew the movie was bullshyt

I just saw the movie! :russ: I'm kinda glad you gave me the heads up but I wonder what it would've been like if I had no idea. The funny thing is that I don't remember any gasps from the audience.

Daps
It will win something, but probably not best pic.

Oscars are weird because half of the award winners, you're like :ehh:, but the other half it's like :stopitslime:. Sometimes, a movie wins that no one has even heard of and we're all like :ohhh:. When a good black movie has a shot though, and everyone hypes it up, we're thinking :comeon: at the chances of winning.

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Some of y'all need to stay watching Simple Jack and avoid films that attempt to provoke your brains to actually form a cogent thought.

Get Out is a cultural touchstone that's introduced phrases and concepts into the cultural zeitgeist and lexicon for the next 10+ years. It's one of the best reviewed films in history, with it's lone detractor among the highest tiers of film critique being, gasp, a black man who fukking hates everything (I love that he always voices himself but Armond White lives and gets paid off being the contrarian). It's a fantastic film, with excellent use of lighting, set design, superb editing (the guy who cut the sunken place scenes deserves a nod) and excellent pacing. It's efficient with it's money and aims to be a simple story about an outlandish concept that's allegory for, well, whatever you want it to be. Whether that's the envy of the old of the young, the debasement of black youth as nothing more than cattle, police brutality, small town insulation and what that does to people and on and on and on.

It's a movie with depth that's mean to be viewed repeatedly to understand it's nuances, it's not Friday the 13th cept with black folks, clearly that concept is beyond some of you. :yeshrug:

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
And comparing it to Mask of Zorro :mjlol:

Mask of Zorro was a fukking popcorn turn off your brain and watch Antonio Banderas be Antonio Banderas for 2 hours film. It was certainly very good at that :ehh:, but it's a schlocky action movie replete with setpieces, it's an action movie, a blockbuster :gucci: The story is literally just the heroes journey mixed with a revenge fantasy. I mean shyt it was a Robert Rodriguez film until the last moment. :mjlol:

Some of y'all, swear.

Edit: LOL the nikka claiming Zorro is a fukking screenwriter? God damn, what narrative depth and nuances of thought and cultural relativity did fukking Mask of Zorro inspire? A crappy sequel a decade later?

Man I'd hate to read some of your script treatments. They have to be replete with awful tropes, meandering dialogue, and gratuitous insertions of "charm" and "charisma" to make the lead feel like he's suave and charming with wit but end up failing unless you get lucky and land an RDJ or a Banderas who can pull those things off without feeling schlocky.

Mask of Zorro wasn't even the best blockbuster the year it came out dog.

This place really does kill me sometimes.

Last edited: