Let's be real, Christian Bale's Batman sucked

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Agreed. I thought he was a good Bruce Wayne though.

Hated the fact Bruce Wayne didnt really showcase his detective skills in those Nolan movies.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
It just occurred to me, does batman have any classic lines throughout the entire trilogy?

Feels like the only time people quote batman in those movies is when they're making fun of his voice. (Whereshatriggurrr!!!) (awmnawtwearimhockeypadzzz!!!)

all of the big dialogue, all of the classic lines...belong to other characters. joker, alfred, dent, gordon, etc.

only thing I could think of really is "does it come in black"

I'd say "it's not who we are underneath..." but that's him just repeating Rachel.

Not tucking with Keaton :wow:

His Batman didnt say much :yeshrug:..... but still:ehh:

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
I've been said this. I said in the thread for the last movie that bale was the worst Batman and dudes went crazy. Batman wasn't even remotely anything like the Batman we know and love. Batman is obsessive about crime fighting, bale was so nonchalant that he seemed to be borderline autistic in the movies. He literally sat there and watched his world crumble around him 3 times. Dude didn't have one memorable dialogue scene in 3 movies.

Nolan made the best Batman movies but made Batman damn near unlikable in his own movies.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It just occurred to me, does batman have any classic lines throughout the entire trilogy?

Feels like the only time people quote batman in those movies is when they're making fun of his voice. (Whereshatriggurrr!!!) (awmnawtwearimhockeypadzzz!!!)

all of the big dialogue, all of the classic lines...belong to other characters. joker, alfred, dent, gordon, etc.

only thing I could think of really is "does it come in black"

I'd say "it's not who we are underneath..." but that's him just repeating Rachel.
Only line I can think of is
Joker (to rachel) - "a little fight in you, I like that"
Batman- "then you are going to love me"

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I dont think he was that bad but his performances certainly got more disappointing as time went on.

He and Kevin Spacey as Lex are probably the two greatest examples of where massive fan-service didn't exactly go well and get the results people wanted . Anyone who used to be on messageboards in the late 90s/early 00's knows everyone wanted Christian Bale as Batman and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor before we even knew anything else about when Batman and Superman were gonna have movies (00-03 that was the convo and Bale Dammitt was a meme) and they finally got their fan-service dreams.

That's probably why you see a lot of stubborness from people online to say he was wack. In his defense though, I feel like good or bad acting is entirely predicated on good or bad writing and the choices the director on set guides you through as an actor (Plus unlike theatre its a different medium where you can give 10 takes of the same performance and its up to someone else to decide which one works for their movie) . Goyer and Johnathan's writing in the trilogy always yielded varying results and some good stuff but plotholes. And Chris Nolan was probably at times so big on visuals with dense storylines that sometimes he forgets to co-sign things like Bale's voice (Which is a shame because he has gotten good performances out of unlikely sources like Hathaway and Ledger)
I actually didnt think it was a problem in Batman Begins and I barely noticed (Also the voice he used when he was in Gordon's office with the ski mask should have just been his voice) and he gave a strong performance. The gravely shyt became an issue in Dark Knight and rather than adjusting it for TDKR he kinda kept it and this was after people online had already made fun with it lightly for the last film and they just went to town on the second one as it was a noticeable.

I still think he's the most solid live action Batman. People will always say Keaton as a counter and to be nostalgic but you could probably find just as many problems with his performance if you wanted that where either his fault of Tim Burton's. Essentially at times, it felt like he was playing himself letting his eyebrows do the work. Sometimes the suit would consume and he looked uncomfortable in it that it felt like affected his performance. And I never brought the whole "YOU WANNA GET NUTS?!" scene he did in the first one as something Bruce Wayne would actually do. And I dont want people think I'm shytting on Keaton cause that is one of my favorite actors who is diverse as hell, but if we're gonna nitpick Bale, you could probably nitpick Keaton just as much.

Its tough because Batman isnt always the center of his movies and thats always going to happen because the Rogues, the city, the cops, the supporting cast are just as important in Batman mythology. So actors playing are gonna feel overshadowed and cut for time and sometimes the best stuff doesnt pull through. Still I think Bale gave the best Batman/Bruce Wayne performance in the one movie that focused on Batman the most which was Begins.
I remember when I was on :hamster: and people were discussing it when it dropped. The scene with Flass and he got him hanged up...in 2015 that probably gets laughed out the building but at the time when he said the "SWEAR TO ME and DO I LOOK LIKE A COP" line people were wanting a Dark Knight kinda Batman and people dug that and were like :blessed:.

But I bet if you advocating for Keaton in this thread...you might wanna go back and look and those movies as well with 2015 eyes as well and see if its really all good :patrice:

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Yeah all the best dialogue belonged to the villains. I always cringed at Alfreds lectures and deep prophetic speeches, shyt was so forced. Bane was the best. Makes TDKR a good watch when u don't think about the gaping plot holes and terrible script.

I'm surprised people hated Bane as much as they did in reviews I've read and listened to. All of his dialogue was nothing but quotables. That made that movie enjoyable for me.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The one issue I have with his batman is his lack of detective skills and he's not always that smart. The voice was a choice that Bale made and its the same choice any other modern batman as made sans Clooney. It's not a choice that stood up for three movies but it worked fine in the 1st movie and for most of the 2nd until he was winded and out of breath and it just sounded too damn silly and clearly forced. I think he understood the character more than the other cats who've played him though, at least in live action

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
Liked Bale as Bruce Wayne. Did the billionaire playboy act perfectly. His Batman could've been better, but Bale's not all to blame for that.

I wonder how the third movie would've been like if Heath was still alive. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Nolan said he had big plans for Joker's part in the third film.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Well i hope in this new upcoming batman flick that drops next year(yes new batman flick, fukk superman) we will see bats break a nikkas arm, then tear that shyt off

Daps
Reppin
St louis
agreed.....
wat6rr.jpg