Legendary Dragon ball (Z and Super) creator Akira Toriyama has passed away

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
I still have a book full of all the DBZ drawings I did in 4th-6th grade...dude's work awakened my creative side

I have a book of drawings just like this

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Anybody remember the OG dub of DBZ though? Vegeta sending nikkas to "the next dimension" :russ:

When I was in elementary/middle school in the 90s I used to wake up at like 6am on weekends to watch DBZ :wow: and there's not many things I'll wake up at 6am for :wow:

Was heated when Goku finally got to Namek after all those episodes and they went back to Episode 1 :mad: when Toonami dubbed the rest :blessed:
For us Canadians it was YTV
They had us in the torture rack with this shyt every time it went back
The animators even made pieces on it :dead:

Kids don’t know how good they have it these days.

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
One thing which i havent seen mantioned so far:

DBZ inspired many, many people (countless people) to get stronger. Weight lifting, self defense, martial arts and MMA. I can point to so many examples of formerly skinny nerds who started putting in work. So many mma fighers point to it as inspiration (or offshoots like Naruto, One Piece etc)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Kind of ironic what his cause of death was too considering he's known for a fighting manga.

They have it listed as "subdural hematoma" which I looked up, it's basically a head injury. I don't think we know exactly how he got the head injury (could've been a fall, car accident, fight, etc.) but damn. At a certain age I guess any random thing can get you.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
It was that and Sailor Moon

Yep. The two anime that opened the door for the rest. Most dudes I know watched both. That's how impactful they were. Dragon Ball Z basically created Shonen and Sailor Moon's aesthetic still persists with e-girls and cosplay. They are imo the mother and father series of modern manga/anime. T

They both came on early as hell in the morning in the US until Turner/Cartoon Network bought the rights from Warner Bros. I believe.

Toonami might have been the hardest cartoon block of all time at one point it was Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Gundam Wing, Beast Wars, Robotech, Powerpuff Girls, Tenchi Muyo, ReBoot and Ronin Warriors.

Like :whew: I pity Gen Z for not being able to experience what it was like when the anime wave hit. Going online and "discovering" who Trunks was because the anime hadn't reached past Ginyu Force yet :russ:

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
Kind of ironic what his cause of death was too considering he's known for a fighting manga.

They have it listed as "subdural hematoma" which I looked up, it's basically a head injury. I don't think we know exactly how he got the head injury (could've been a fall, car accident, fight, etc.) but damn. At a certain age I guess any random thing can get you.
He went out the same way Goku came in. Head injury. Crazy

main-qimg-26ecd8a9cc6caaf4b7c573f506a8fe80-pjlq

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
Yep. The two anime that opened the door for the rest. Most dudes I know watched both. That's how impactful they were. Dragon Ball Z basically created Shonen and Sailor Moon's aesthetic still persists with e-girls and cosplay. They are imo the mother and father series of modern manga/anime. T

They both came on early as hell in the morning in the US until Turner/Cartoon Network bought the rights from Warner Bros. I believe.

Toonami might have been the hardest cartoon block of all time at one point it was Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Gundam Wing, Beast Wars, Robotech, Powerpuff Girls, Tenchi Muyo, ReBoot and Ronin Warriors.

Like :whew: I pity Gen Z for not being able to experience what it was like when the anime wave hit. Going online and "discovering" who Trunks was because the anime hadn't reached past Ginyu Force yet :russ:
Breh the Trunks reveal might be one of the greatest across all mediums of entertainment. Breh comes through whoops Freiza in like 2 seconds and drops a bombshell that he's Vegeta's son :wow: