Legendary Dragon ball (Z and Super) creator Akira Toriyama has passed away

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
My top 3 Dragon Ball Z moments.

1. Vegeta's final flash on Perfect Cell.
2. Father/son Kamehameha on Super Perfect Cell.
3. Future Trunks pulling up on Mecha Frieza and King Cold and making light work out of them 2 jabronis.

Both of the creators of my favorite 2 anime franchises are now gone. Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) and Kazuki Takahashi (Yugioh). May both of them make great works in the heavens for us to enjoy in the afterlife. Maybe even do a collaboration.

:ohhh:I didn't even know this...RIP

giphy.gif

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
The struggle was real back then:wow:

I felt like an old man telling my boys (who are just as obsessed as I was) about those days.
:russ:

I eventually lucked out tho because I found out this cable channel we had called the international channel showed reruns of the original version so I was straight even though I ain’t know a lick of Japanese outside of nani and baka lol.
The problem with International Channel was that it wasn't subtitled. I have no idea why they played it raw when they played The Slayers subtitled. Man, them good ol days. :wow:

You on that old school tip.

I started to become too impatient. They were taking too long to dub DBZ. My friends and I decided to watch that shyt straight English subtitled on terrible quality Real Player video shyt.

We were passing around subtitled DBZ movies with awful quality around like it was candy. These were crude subtitled shyt. They added curse words and everything. This was 2000 and we were aghast at Broly. :wow:

I was over my DBZ phase in 2001 by the time the final ep aired. They just took fukking forever.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Not gonna lie this one got me fukked up

Dragonball Z went Diamond in every hood when I was a teenager. That shyt brought the nerds and popular kids together for a hot minute.

Toriyama wasn’t famed as a deep writer but there were always profound moments of plot and writing throughout the series. Goku setting aside his pride and his lifelong goal of being the best to admit that Gohan was stronger than him and believe that he could defeat Cell is one of the best father-son moments in fiction

I’m legit crying like a bytch watching Gohan walk down Cell with a one handed Kamehameha nursing a BROKEN ARM while Goku cheers him on. One of the most gangsta moments in all of entertainment

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
i don't wanna argue in a thread honoring a person.
but the n!gga said mj. fukk that. mj isn't one of anything. he is 1 of 1.
i grew up in the 80s in st. louis. i never watched any of this sh1t, and didn't know anybody that did.
maybe it's a regional thing, or better yet a generational thing.
"30-50" is absolutely cap. maybe 20-40.
we were not watching this. i didn't know it existed. so it wasn't influential for me at all.
and from what i've seen of it, it shouldn't be as influential to "us" as it is :mjpls:. but to each their own.
Shut the fukk up. Akira Toriyama was the MJ of manga/anime. Everyone around the world loved his shyt and is mourning his passing. I don't understand how anyone with common sense could be deterred by Akira being compared to MJ in terms of his influence or stature.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I watched DBZ with my dad. My dad probably loved it more than me. He adored it. When they got new eps out and they put them on tape, he bought ALL of them so we could watch them early. :wow: We taped ALL the episodes so we didn't miss a damn thing. My dad is gone but damn this really feels like killing my childhood by shooting it right in the dome.

I haven't even gotten to my absolute love for Dragon Quest.

Good Lord.

Dragon Ball was something me, a black nerd and my black jock father bonded over. We were so different in our interests and yet this was a part of the glue that helped us bond despite those differences. I can't write about this shyt without tears.

Bro my father fukked with Dragonball too. Not to the extent yours did but my pops would watch both dragonball and DBZ with us every evening on Toonami back when they would show them back to back.

So many great memories.

I’m emotional as fukk right now

Last edited:

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
Shut the fukk up. Akira Toriyama was the MJ of manga/anime. Everyone around the world loved his shyt and is mourning his passing. I don't understand how anyone with common sense could be deterred by Akira being compared to MJ in terms of his influence or stature.
fukk you and suck my dikk fakkit. thread ain't even stickied, talkin bout some mj.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
It used to come on at like 6am on network TV. I would watch it before school
For real? I watched at 6 AM on Saturday. One Saturday in fall 1997, and I had just started middle school, I just randomly got up at 6 am probably because that's what time I was waking up during the week. I turn on the tv and see this crazy ass show that's an hour block. I'm hooked. I. had never seen anything like that before. Weeks later my dad is watching it. "You watching that too?" and we started watching it together every Saturday morning at 6. I never knew it was on network tv during weekdays.

Daps
Not gonna lie this one got me fukked up

Dragonball Z went Diamond in every hood when I was a teenager. That shyt brought the nerds and popular kids together for a hot minute.

Toriyama wasn’t famed as a deep writer but there were always profound moments of plot and writing throughout the series. Goku setting aside his pride and his lifelong goal of being the best to admit that Gohan was stronger than him and believe that he could defeat Cell is one of the best father-son moments in fiction

I’m legit crying like a bytch watching Gohan walk down Cell with a one handed Kamehameha nursing a BROKEN ARM while Goku cheers him on. One of the most gangsta moments in all of entertainment

I think his writing is underrated. When Goku became an adult he managed to retcon why he had a monkey tail when he was a kid, and made up the existence of sayians. Knowing that and that the Namek saga with aliens and space travels followed this shyt blew my mind. Same thing for all of Freezer’s transformations and Goku super sayian’s form it wasn’t planned. He also made extremely compelling secondary characters like Vegeta, Krilin, Gohan, Bulma, charismatic villains etc. This man even managed to insert time travel and parallel timelines.

And all that stems from being inspired by Journey to the West, the most important chinese mythological story.

None of this shyt should make sense… but somehow it all fits. The Dragon Ball universe is so unique.

Last edited:

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Been in a Dragon Ball mood for last two weeks before this. Had an impulse buy to buy some crystal Dragon Balls and some tank tops to work out in with kanji symbols on them.

shyt had me wanna work out when I was a husky lil breh.

Already said RIP, but RIP again. He's certified forever