Legendary Dragon ball (Z and Super) creator Akira Toriyama has passed away

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
I grew up in the 90's in STL. It wasn't for your generation because it wasn't imported yet.
right, so "Ain't a mothafukka from [ages] 30-50 who hasn't seen and/or enjoyed some form of Dragonball and all it's knockoffs and children" is cap.
and that was my post "🧢"
This is like someone saying G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Thundercats wasn't that influencial because they grew up with Super Friends, Birdman & Space Ghost.
so like i said [ages] 20-40 is more appropriate. and to be clear, i never said dude didn't have influence. i said it wasn't influential FOR ME and my region/generation. i also said, to each their own.
Comparing Akira Toriyama to MJ is appropriate.
respectfully disagree. but again, if you weren't around/fully aware in the 80s, maybe you don't understand mj's full impact.
it's like lebron stans watching jordan youtube clips and having an opinion.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Goku screaming "WILL YOU STOP ATTACKING YOURSELF" while Gohan is holding off the most powerful villain in the universe WITH ONE ARM hit different. :wow:

Sometimes when you're faced with overwhelming odds, it's hard to see what you already have in your favor. :wow:
Gohan beat a freshly revived PERFECT CELL with a ONE HANDED KAMEHAMEHA

Cell...who had Saiyan DNA, meaning that he was even more powerful than he was BEFORE he self destructed and regenerated back into his Perfect form.

As a kid I'm sitting there STRESSED after Cell came back to life because we were all rooting for Gohan...like WHAT ELSE IS THERE??? LET MY nikka WIN! :damn:

DBZ taught you life lessons the way Star Wars did for the generation before us.

Thank you Toriyama-sama...you helped shape my childhood, you gave me an appreciation of other cultures and ways of life :wow:

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Gohan beat a freshly revived PERFECT CELL with a ONE HANDED KAMEHAMEHA

Cell...who had Saiyan DNA, meaning that he was even more powerful than he was BEFORE he self destructed and regenerated back into his Perfect form.

As a kid I'm sitting there STRESSED after Cell came back to life because we were all rooting for Gohan...like WHAT ELSE IS THERE??? LET MY nikka WIN! :damn:

DBZ taught you life lessons the way Star Wars did for the generation before us
Crazy thing is even with the power up Cell wasn’t stronger than Gohan.
Gohan could’ve whooped his ass easier if it wasn’t for Vegeta going full out crash dummy(which I get cuz Cell murked his kid) at least he made up for it at the end
When his ki blast hits and his SSJ theme song hits :banderas: leading up to Gohan to take us home
:wow:
fukk it im working out to that tomorrow for my cardio
Gon push new fukking limits
Time to go lift with my Dragon Ball Z and Super soundtrack playlist

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Akira Toriyama laid the bedrock of modern action storytelling​

His legacy and impact will be fully realized, properly, after death. He's gonna go down as one of the all time greats. Point blank.
The only thing that comes close to Toriyama's influence is Fist of the North Star, which inspired Dragon Ball itself.

In Pro Wrestling...The New Day came out at WrestleMania in FULL SAIYAN ARMOR just to pay homage to the GOAT manga/anime series.

Bro my mind races at the thought of how much this mans work influenced all the things we enjoy today.

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
Yep. The two anime that opened the door for the rest. Most dudes I know watched both. That's how impactful they were. Dragon Ball Z basically created Shonen and Sailor Moon's aesthetic still persists with e-girls and cosplay. They are imo the mother and father series of modern manga/anime. T

They both came on early as hell in the morning in the US until Turner/Cartoon Network bought the rights from Warner Bros. I believe.

Toonami might have been the hardest cartoon block of all time at one point it was Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Gundam Wing, Beast Wars, Robotech, Powerpuff Girls, Tenchi Muyo, ReBoot and Ronin Warriors.

Like :whew: I pity Gen Z for not being able to experience what it was like when the anime wave hit. Going online and "discovering" who Trunks was because the anime hadn't reached past Ginyu Force yet :russ:
I remember a stretch where every afternoon Toonami was G Gundam, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin

That is an absolutely mad lineup :wow: