Leave The World Behind (Movie) - Netflix (Denzel & Julia Roberts/Sam Esmail Directing)

Daps
The thing is, this is from the authors convos about the movie he helped write,

Ali's character is only saying that based on his biases and his life experiences, not that it isn't a good theory, but the Hawke character and everyone would have entirely different theories, biased on their own filter and view.

The movie adaptation lost a lot of the books subtlety for sure, because anyone who read the book would not really be arguing about what the disaster was, that would miss the point almost entirely.

I may have to cop the book cause I enjoyed the movie a lot. There is quite a bit of social commentary that I think a giod chunk of people are oblivious to. I get it though. It takes awhile to be able to develop a mind to think critically and parse out these things..Plus you do have to do a fair amount of reading which isn't as common now.

Daps
That's the only thing. It wasn't bad, but they needed something immediate to show the contrast. Even if they all just met back up on the road just outside the neighbor's house, and someone says "what next?", THEN cut to the girl chillin with her food and Friends DVD, not worried about the extra ish, it would've made it better.
I like the ending. It leaves with you not having a "final resolution" and making things feel conclusive. The whole movie you are on egg shells not knowing what is coming next... in a sense in chaos. With that ending you still have that uncomfortable feeling uncertainty: are the Throne's gonna pop out from nowhere? The mushroom cloud just went up ovet New York what now?, etc. We are just as confused and helpless as the characters.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I like the ending. It leaves with you not having a "final resolution" and making things feel conclusive. The whole movie you are on egg shells not knowing what is coming next... in a sense in chaos. With that ending you still have that uncomfortable feeling uncertainty: are the Throne's gonna pop out from nowhere? The mushroom cloud just went up ovet New York what now?, etc. We are just as confused and helpless as the characters.
Yeah. My only problem with it is that a lot of views got lost, so it would've been better had they all met up on the road to the neighbor's like "what's next?" or even with no dialog still showed them meeting up, THEN, show the daughter press play.

As you said, it wasn't supposed to have a final resolution, but I think viewers didn't realize that we're not supposed to know what's next, as the main characters don't have a clue. However, the daughter has it all figured out.

Daps
Yeah. My only problem with it is that a lot of views got lost, so it would've been better had they all met up on the road to the neighbor's like "what's next?" or even with no dialog still showed them meeting up, THEN, show the daughter press play.

As you said, it wasn't supposed to have a final resolution, but I think viewers didn't realize that we're not supposed to know what's next, as the main characters don't have a clue. However, the daughter has it all figured out.
I commented elsewhere in this thread that to be able to reconcile this ending and the underlying nuances in the messages of the film requires a certain level of developed critical thinking. You have to be a person that reads a lot because to be able to be aware of how the ending makes yiu feel and detach from that to understand why it would be done that way. Developing that awareness is not straightforward.

What you mentioned about showing them "meetimg up" or something of the ilk reminded me of another underlying notion in the movie. Notice how all the adults all revert to in a few of theit monolgues to "in the end everything will be fine", "it will work itself out we just need to wait" or something similar. That ending again plays on our "expectancy" of getting a nice conclusive ending that "works out" for us... . well in reality we see that may not be the case.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I commented elsewhere in this thread that to be able to reconcile this ending and the underlying nuances in the messages of the film requires a certain level of developed critical thinking. You have to be a person that reads a lot because to be able to be aware of how the ending makes yiu feel and detach from that to understand why it would be done that way. Developing that awareness is not straightforward.

What you mentioned about showing them "meetimg up" or something of the ilk reminded me of another underlying notion in the movie. Notice how all the adults all revert to in a few of theit monolgues to "in the end everything will be fine", "it will work itself out we just need to wait" or something similar. That ending again plays on our "expectancy" of getting a nice conclusive ending that "works out" for us... . well in reality we see that may not be the case.
You don't need developed critical thinking to "get" the ending. What that shows is that the script and writing itself is extremely underdeveloped and missed the mark. This is coming from someone who reads a lot and is an Esmail fan:russ:

Daps
You don't need developed critical thinking to "get" the ending. What that shows is that the script and writing itself is extremely underdeveloped and missed the mark. This is coming from someone who reads a lot and is an Esmail fan:russ:
You prove my point then....You read a lot. I'm not a cinema buff and don't know the ins and outs, language, or what is "considered" good script writing vs not good script writing excpet for maybe the most blatant of blatant scenarios. The fact that you do have a level of knowledge on these things and are able to dissect it didn't come from osmosis. You're well read and that helps.

I disagree on the miss the mark, but that will never get a resoulution because it is subjective.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The book more effectively hits that point, absolutely, that it is a very human nature type of thing to make people want and seek, and speak from a place of reassurance. That's a huge part of the book, and several of the main characters, as events more and more indicate that things will not be fine.

The scenes with Danny in the book played a lot more into that, in a more even handed way. It was more about expectations, and the idea that someone will save them, themes like that, it wasn't as heavy handed as that standoff. It was more like GH quiet realization that he was never really friends with, and never really knew Danny, and that he had put his hopes in someone to kind of reassure himself.

A very human situation that all of us have experienced, where you realized your parents aren't superhuman. That kind of moment.

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I had to check the director a few times, cause there was A LOT more R&B than I was expecting

And this scene

next.jpg

For my Esmail peeps - was there this much speechifying in Mr. Robot?

Ethan, Julia, Julia's Daughter, M. Ali's daughter?