Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@IllmaticDelta props!

@Kanika by the late '80's, dancehall did influence some rap, at least in NYC, I can't deny that, but dancehall's creation was influenced by rap. Dancehall came about around 1982, rap was already big NYC by then, and Jamaicans would have came into contact with it, so that is how dancehall chatting was created. Before dancehall you didn't hear people rapping like that. If rapping started in Jamaica or the other islands, we would have heard it being done before dancehall came out, which happened after rap became big with the sugar hill gangs "rappers delight".

What do Jamaicans have to do with Latinos, hip hop and Empire anyway? Jamaicans are English-speaking ignorant black folk.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do Jamaicans have to do with Latinos, hip hop and Empire anyway? Jamaicans are English-speaking ignorant black folk.
Nah, they aren't all ignorant, that's fukked up. A lot of Jamaicans are hard working, intelligent, good people. Just because I don't agree with some of them saying they created hip hop, it doesn't mean I dislike them. I grew up with a lot of them, and still cool with them, and their families. I can't cosign you on that.

I was just replying to what someone asked me.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
@IllmaticDelta props!

@Kanika by the late '80's, dancehall did influence some rap, at least in NYC, I can't deny that, but dancehall's creation was influenced by rap. Dancehall came about around 1982, rap was already big NYC by then, and Jamaicans would have came into contact with it, so that is how dancehall chatting was created. Before dancehall you didn't hear people rapping like that. If rapping started in Jamaica or the other islands, we would have heard it being done before dancehall came out, which happened after rap became big with the sugar hill gangs "rappers delight".
Hip hop is the best-selling music genre worldwide and Hip hop is the most influential genre in popular music. I'm just tired of non-black Americans claiming black American culture and music as their own. I love Caribbeans and I acknowledge their contributions to hip hop but they need to understand that hip hop music is a Black American art form.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
True! The African American Toast Tradition is different from the Jamaican Toast Tradition in terms of language/dialect. Hip Hop primary language is African American Vernacular English (AAVE). Not Jamaican patios/patwah. The lie that Dj Kool Herc took the practice of toasting from Jamaica to New York City. Although West Indians contributed to hip hop music it's still a black American Art form. Funk, Soul, Disco, R&B, and Jazz influence hip hop music more than Reggae, Soca, Ska, Mento, dancehall, and other forms of Caribbean music. A person on Twitter said that Jamaican (Dancehall) influence the creation of hip hop music. Yet I don't hear dancehall influences on 80s and 90s hip hop records.

The Jamaican toast tradition is an imitation of what Afram dj's were doing on the radio in the 1940's.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
The Jamaican toast tradition is an imitation of what Afram dj's were doing on the radio in the 1940's.
Exactly. African American men who influenced the toasting style of the Jamaican dancehall producer Coxson Dodd, Dodd took rapping to Jamaica. Did you know the term "Hip Hop" dates back to the 1940s when African Americans would say they were "hip-hopping" when they went out on the town? I think most hip hop pioneers and artists are African Americans with southern roots. Grand Wizard Theodore, Jazzy Jay, Coke La Rock, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Kool Moe Dee, MC Lyte, MC Sha-Rock, etc... Are all African Americans with southern roots. Its sad that Dj Hollywood doesn't get recognition for his contributions to hip hop music. I've seen a lot of Jamaicans claim they created hip hop because Dj Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa are Jamaican. Yet hip hop musically doesn't sound Jamaican. Funk artists such as George Clintion, James Brown, and Sly & Family Stone are big influence on Afrika Bambaataa. Some people say that hip hop has its roots in reggae. What are your thoughts?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. African American men who influenced the toasting style of the Jamaican dancehall producer Coxson Dodd, Dodd took rapping to Jamaica. Did you know the term "Hip Hop" dates back to the 1940s when African Americans would say they were "hip-hopping" when they went out on the town? I think most hip hop pioneers and artists are African Americans with southern roots. Grand Wizard Theodore, Jazzy Jay, Coke La Rock, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Kool Moe Dee, MC Lyte, MC Sha-Rock, etc... Are all African Americans with southern roots. Its sad that Dj Hollywood doesn't get recognition for his contributions to hip hop music. I've seen a lot of Jamaicans claim they created hip hop because Dj Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa are Jamaican. Yet hip hop musically doesn't sound Jamaican. Funk artists such as George Clintion, James Brown, and Sly & Family Stone are big influence on Afrika Bambaataa. Some people say that hip hop has its roots in reggae. What are your thoughts?

When they say reggae they mean dancehall because alot of people use those terms interchangeably. As I already laid out, what we think of as Dancehall today, came after Rap was born. The stuff Jamaican's did at the dancehall (again, not the genre that goes by that name) was all influenced by Afram oral traditions and music. Even the Dub concept was in Afram music.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta props!

Exactly

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Sure. There have been Latinos in hip hop.
But that piece looks like Latinos trying to muscle in and take credit for the cultural explosion of hip hop. And frankly that's bullshyt.
Latinos gonna latino:lolbron:

I couldn't help it.:troll: