Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly! I was arguing with a Jamaican guy on Twitter yesterday, he said that West Indians specifically Jamaicans created Hip Hop music and NOT Black Americans. I told him that Hip Hop is a Black American Art form. He's in denial about the Black American origins of Hip Hop. Dj Kool Herc didn't create Hip Hop musically, Kool Herc only contributed to the deejaying element of hip hop culture. Hip hop music started in the late 70s and early 80s. DJ Kool Herc is a record player, he only played Funk, Soul, and Disco records at his parties.
I agree with everything, BUT he did create the sound of hip hop music, because he was the first to just play breakbeats. That is basically what rap music was known for, the heavy drum sound. He didn't play reggae, and his sound system was based off of American sound systems, not Jamaican. He said this himself on the combat jack show.

But again, that wasn't because he was Jamaican, it was because he noticed the young people dancing when the break part of the record came on, so he realized playing the breaks was going to be his claim to fame, being that there were so many dj's in the city at the time, and you needed something to make you stand out.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Why didn't hip hop start in Chicago or Detroit or DC or any other cities then? Unless you are arguing that disco was only popular in NYC
Why didn't hip hop start in the Caribbean? Hip Hop started in the United States because of the Black American influence. Yet hip hop artists used a selection of classic soul, funk, rock, and jazz records from the 60s and 70s to create their sound. Not Caribbean music!

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why didn't hip hop start in the Caribbean? Hip Hop started in the United States because of the Black American influence. Yet hip hop artists used a selection of classic soul, funk, rock, and jazz records from the 60s and 70s to create their sound. Not Caribbean music!
Or Miami. There was a huge bahamaian population, and their culture can still be felt in the city, yet hip hop didn't go there until the mid '80's. That lets you know hip hop was a NYC thing.

Last edited:

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
I agree with everything, BUT he did create the sound of hip hop music, because he was the first to just play breakbeats. That is basically what rap music was known for, the heavy drum sound. He didn't play reggae, and his sound system was based off of American sound systems, not Jamaican. He said this himself on the combat jack show.

But again, that wasn't because he was Jamaican, it was because he noticed the young people dancing when the break part of the record came on, so he realized playing the breaks was going to be his claim to fame, being that there were so many dj's in the city at the time, and you needed something to make you stand out.
DJ Pete Jones: the man who pioneered he man who pioneered the idea of extending the same break on 2 turntables before DJ Kool Herc!

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pete Dj Jones @questlove: rip DJ Pete Jones: the man who pioneered the idea of extending the same break on 2 turntables before DJ Kool Herc!
Yeah, I know about him, but herc was the first to have a party where breakbeats was the main theme of the party.
Herc didn't even mix records, he just threw them on.

But hip hop was also the style of dress, and the way of dancing, that made it different. Herc didn't create the culture of hip hop, that was happening in NYC before him, but he did help create the sound.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Or Miami. There was a huge bahamaian population, and their culture can still be felt in the city, yet hip hop didn't go there until the mid '80's. That lets you know hip hop was an NYC thing.
Hip Hop
Yeah, I know about him, but herc was the first to have a party where breakbeats was the main theme of the party.
Herc didn't even mix records, he just threw them on.

But hip hop was also the style of dress, and the way of dancing, that made it different. Herc didn't create the culture of hip hop, that was happening in NYC before him, but he did help create the sound.
Do you think Jamaicans created hip hop music or Black Americans? Because many Jamaicans will say they created hip hop music because of Dj Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hip Hop

Do you think Jamaicans created hip hop music or Black Americans? Because many Jamaicans will say they created hip hop music because of Dj Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa.
Hip hop was created mainly from black Americans, but there were people who were either straight from the islands, or family was from there, who helped also.

Bottom line, it was a black American thing. If someone tries to claim it comes from the islands, just ask them who were the DJs, and rappers, before 1974? Toasting, and just having a sound system doesn't mean they created hip hop. Those things are done with people who dj'ed disco as well, so that would mean west Indians also created disco, but we know that isn't true.

I'm not trying to shyt on west Indians or trying to be funny, but the truth is the truth, and it can be proven. Kool herc said himself his sound system, and just being hip hop, came about when he moved to the states, not coming from Jamaica.

Made Myself A Boss

#Trolltruck
Daps
Reppin
dMv/ JA
Dont they have a gay dude on the show (Ive never watched it myself)

Its is a shame that they can cater to the LGBT and not the Latinos:manny:

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Hip hop was created mainly from black Americans, but there were people who were either straight from the islands, or family was from there, who helped also.

Bottom line, it was a black American thing. If someone tries to claim it comes from the islands, just ask them who were the DJs, and rappers, before 1974? Toasting, and just having a sound system doesn't mean they created hip hop. Those things are done with people who dj'ed disco as well, so that would mean west Indians also created disco, but we know that isn't true.

I'm not trying to shyt on west Indians or trying to be funny, but the truth is the truth, and it can be proven. Kool herc said himself his sound system, and just being hip hop, came about when he moved to the states, not coming from Jamaica.
True! Hip Hop artists used a selection of classic soul, funk, rock, and jazz records from the 60s and 70s to create their sound. James Brown, The Last Poets, Gil Scott-Heron, The Watts Prophets, Chuck Brown, Pigmeat Markham, The Hustlers Convention major influence on hip hop music. Learning about the history of Hip Hop it always mentions Jamaican toasting is the roots of MC'ing/Rapping. It doesn't make sense because Black Americans influence Jamaican toasting. And Black Americans have a long history of rapping In the United States.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True! Hip Hop artists used a selection of classic soul, funk, rock, and jazz records from the 60s and 70s to create their sound. James Brown, The Last Poets, Gil Scott-Heron, The Watts Prophets, Chuck Brown, Pigmeat Markham, The Hustlers Convention major influence on hip hop music. Learning about the history of Hip Hop it always mentions Jamaican toasting is the roots of MC'ing/Rapping. It doesn't make sense because Black Americans influence Jamaican toasting. And Black Americans have a long history of rapping In the United States.
@IllmaticDelta can hook you up with knowledge that will make you a hip hop historian.

Most people are just repeating the same shyt that they were told, and the only reason people came to the conclusion about west Indians creating hip hop was out of pure ignorance, and assuming that herc brought his knowledge from Jamaica, just because we associate Jamaicans with sound systems, but that isn't what hip hop is.

Hate for American blacks is another reason I believe some don't want to give credit. They can't t accept the fact that people who supposably have no culture, can create something that everyone in the world is doing.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
@IllmaticDelta can hook you up with knowledge that will make you a hip hop historian.

Most people are just repeating the same shyt that they were told, and the only reason people came to the conclusion about west Indians creating hip hop was out of pure ignorance, and assuming that herc brought his knowledge from Jamaica, just because we associate Jamaicans with sound systems, but that isn't what hip hop is.

Hate for American blacks is another reason I believe some don't want to give credit. They can't t accept the fact that people who supposably have no culture, can create something that everyone in the world is doing.
Yup. A Jamaican guy from the UK told me last month that Jamaican Soundsystem birth hip hop. I was like what!? I listen to a lot of old hip hop songs. I don't hear West Indian influences musically.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup. A Jamaican guy from the UK told me last month that Jamaican Soundsystem birth hip hop. I was like what!? I listen to a lot of old hip hop songs. I don't hear West Indian influences musically.
Tell him before hip hop, Disco DJs were all about the sound system.

The best sound systems in the world was built by Richard Long, and he was part of the Disco culture. Early Disco(the more funk, jazz, soul type) is what birthed hip hop, as far as the musical aspects.