Last Rites - AMC's Preacher thread

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
I liked last nights episode and i'm glad they aren't explaining things right away (major complaint i see about the show online). Not sure what the opening was about but that scene with Cassidy fighting the two Angels was sick :wow:
I think this has potential to be a great show, but I don't trust AMC at all with it. They already made a big mistake with not airing a new episode last week, which made the show lose a ton of momentum.

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
Yea im lost with the plot at this point. And wtf are those two guys who are chasing Cassidy? They got chopped up and then just appeared later like shyt didnt happen :dahell:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I posted the plot from the comics a few pages back. Here it is again. They're changing stuff already though, so it's loosely based on this:

Preacher (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer is accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis, the infant product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. The incident flattens Custer's church and kills his entire congregation.

Genesis has no sense of individual will, but since it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, its power might rival that of God Himself, making Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, potentially the most powerful being in the universe.

Driven by a strong sense of right and wrong, Custer journeys across the United States attempting to literally find God, who abandoned Heaven the moment Genesis was born. He also begins to discover the truth about his new powers. They allow him, when he wills it, to command the obedience of those who hear and comprehend his words. He is joined by his old girlfriend Tulip O'Hare, as well as a hard-drinking Irish vampire named Cassidy.

During the course of their journeys, the three encounter enemies and obstacles both sacred and profane, including: The Saint of Killers, an invincible, quick-drawing, perfect-aiming, come-lately Angel of Death answering only to "He who sits on the throne"; a disfigured suicide attempt survivor turned rock-star named Arseface; a serial-killer called the 'Reaver-Cleaver'; The Grail, a secret organization controlling the governments of the world and protecting the bloodline of Jesus; Herr Starr, ostensible Allfather of the Grail, a megalomaniac with a penchant for prostitutes, who wishes to use Custer for his own ends; several fallen angels; and Jesse's own redneck 'family' — particularly his nasty Cajun grandmother, her mighty bodyguard Jody, and the 'animal-loving' T.C.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So breh at that beginning in 1881 was The Saint of Killers? :ohhh:

I dunno I ain't watched the second ep yet.:whoa:

Bout to after this "Game Of Thrones".

Fred.

• Dap
Reactions: Hi!

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I liked the second ep more than the first.

The notable changes are fine. For instance, The Word doesn't work on animals, as @Ironman will attest to. Or. it's not supposed to. But I don't even care. Sometimes it's nice for me to not know whats going on with a comic property.

But I DO see how this could seem sort of scattered all over if someone isn't familiar with the books. It's okay to leave folks anxious to see who certain people are, but it's always good to at least leave hints or give expo in the same ep. I'm pretty sure a few people were wondering what was up with the random 1881 flashback. Or the whole thing with the little old man paying off the folks for their land. It's kinda not good to leave questions floating around like that without SOME kinda payoff... like the guys Cassidy killed showing back up.

I'm kinda hoping and dreading them turning that dude in Quincannon's truck into a substitute for Jody. But all of that is WAY too big of a story for them to mince.

The fight scenes were nicely done and bloody. The music and some scenes made it feel very neo-noir horror westerny.

I love Jesse and Cassidy's scenes together. Their chemistry is great.

I wanna light a cigarette by pressing it up against Tulip's cheek. She seems to be trying to take Elektra's "Crazy bytch of the Year" crown.

I kinda DONT like how they've made Jesse a troubled stranger with a dark past full of action, but I guess you have to string along casual non-read viewers somehow.

anyway, fukk it. 4/5 out of 5

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
@hex @Mr.Negative ok just watching now was that dude in the beginning
Saint of All Killers?? They changed his awakening if it was since it was then two Angles that woke him up originally :ohhh:. The word works on animals in this one:dwillhuh::patrice::gladbron:.
Who are these QMP people :patrice:Are they the
Grail??

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just watched the second episode, thought it was flat out dope. The first ep I liked but it was more weird-in-an-intriguing-way as opposed to good.

I think this has potential to be a great show, but I don't trust AMC at all with it. They already made a big mistake with not airing a new episode last week, which made the show lose a ton of momentum.

AMC has nothing going on right now, I seriously doubt they'll cancel this. Besides "The Walking Dead", "Fear The Walking Dead", and "Better Call Saul" they have zero hits. Most of their other shows get terrible ratings and are going on their 4th or 5th seasons.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@hex @Mr.Negative ok just watching now was that dude in the beginning
Saint of All Killers?? They changed his awakening if it was since it was then two Angles that woke him up originally :ohhh:. The word works on animals in this one:dwillhuh::patrice::gladbron:.
Who are these QMP people :patrice:Are they the
Grail??

Yeah that's the guy in the spoiler tag.

The second question, I assume but they seem to be mixing characters and arcs. Or flat out adding new things.

Fred.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Yeah that's the guy in the spoiler tag.

The second question, I assume but they seem to be mixing characters and arcs. Or flat out adding new things.

Fred.
It appears so:ehh:Them two dudes in the suit I assume are the
angels that were kicked out for losing Genesis and are trying to get Jessie now. Weird since they sent the Saints originally. Man this season is going to be a slow burn with the amount of shyt they're going to have to alter or slowly introduce