Larenz Tate: "Hollywood Finds More Value In Black British Actors; Theres a Decline In Black American Actors Getting Work!"

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's nasty

"Yall benefited"

Meanwhile, Black Americans are doing the worst across the board in America

And I'm not saying British actors shouldn't come over here and try to get work

I blame us for being so accepting

But don't tell US it's yall fault because yall ain't go to school, when, like someone said, American schools are getting gutted and the arts aren't valued

And if, Black ppl were to wake up and say what about us, then it's xenophobic

Some ppl want it both ways

What power do we have to "not accept".

Yeah we can reject it when its movies that are targeting a primarily black audience. But for the most part,are those the types of shows and movies Brits are going for?

And we do have platforms like Tubi, are alot of these people even going to acting class? Nevermind acting school:mjlol:?

I honestly dont know the answer to this. Seems like its alot of oppurtunity for black actors to show and prove. But maybe appearing in some low budget Tubi movie with a cliche plot. Is something you wouldnt do if you are truly talented. Maybe its bad for your brand,or great actors would just feel its beneath them. I really dont know how great black american actors feel about that sort of thing. Or what agents would tell them etc.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Hollywood has a hard on for foreign actors in general though, I just found out Keanu Reeves is Canadian and British

Ted (Alex Winter) is part british too breh ... Born in england

giphy.gif

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Ok. Show me the receipts

We've discussed it already. The top black British actors are classically trained and have extensive theater experience. From Idris Elba to Damson Idris and everyone in between. Many American actors came from New York acting schools at one point but television has opened the door to less trained, less "professional actor" actors over the last couple decades. For every Jonathan Majors, who is classically trained, there are handsome men and attractive women who can't really act but get hired because they fit whatever Instagram image the show wants.

You can scroll through the casts of BMF, Power, most MCU shows, etc and see a lot of American actors who didn't go to school for it. That's not to say non-classically trained actors can't act. Joaquin Phoenix is arguably the best actor right now and didn't go to acting school. But when you're auditioning against classically trained actors who are used to doing Shakespeare you're gonna lose that audition unless you're really fukking good. And a lot of these young American actors today aren't...that good. You see it in the acting you see in shows and films they're in.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
We've discussed it already. The top black British actors are classically trained and have extensive theater experience. From Idris Elba to Damson Idris and everyone in between. Many American actors came from New York acting schools at one point but television has opened the door to less trained, less "professional actor" actors over the last couple decades. For every Jonathan Majors, who is classically trained, there are handsome men and attractive women who can't really act but get hired because they fit whatever Instagram image the show wants.

You can scroll through the casts of BMF, Power, most MCU shows, etc and see a lot of American actors who didn't go to school for it. That's not to say non-classically trained actors can't act. Joaquin Phoenix is arguably the best actor right now and didn't go to acting school. But when you're auditioning against classically trained actors who are used to doing Shakespeare you're gonna lose that audition unless you're really fukking good. And a lot of these young American actors today aren't...that good. You see it in the acting you see in shows and films they're in.

Ok. I understand where you’re coming from, but when I say receipts, I’m referring to critically acclaimed, or internationally successful movies or TV that had British black leads from the last 50 years? Since they’re obviously more superior in talent and what not

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH

Honestly it’s a reflection of the entertainment industry as whole from actors to musicians to visual artists, they took away funding from public schools and it’s been a shyt show every since

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here is what I want our overseas brethren to do. Name your favorite black movies, or movies that had a black lead or co star that put the movie over the top.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you do research most of the popular black actors and actress typically went to a preforming arts school. They have training they get passed over based on stereotypes

What American black actors are getting passed over?

Mahershala
Lakieth
JDW
Majors
MBJ
Tyree Henry
Cheadle
Denzel
Hodge
Glover
Yaya
Mackie
Chadwick

All of them are, were, or becoming Hollywood regulars, Oscar nominees/winners, Golden Globe nominees/winners, etc.

There's only a handful of black Brits compared to this list and I left off older guys like Denzel, Lawrence, Sam, Morgan, and Forest.

As for Larenz's point about Hollywood taking them because they have an audience overseas that's not really a big factor. Daniel Kaluuya isn't going to bring in a British audience. Get Out did 170 domestic, 30 overseas. A lot of times it's not even political or economic they just beat everyone in the audition or a director wanted them. Peele handpicked Kaluuya after he saw him in a Black Mirror episode. Sometimes it's just merit.

If you watched an actor give a great performance and later find out he's not American how can you turn around and say they shouldn't have been cast? Who watched The Wire and said Idris was the wrong actor?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Ok. I understand where you’re coming from, but when I say receipts, I’m referring to critically acclaimed, or internationally successful movies or TV that had British black leads from the last 50 years? Since they’re obviously more superior in talent and what not
Get Out, Nope, and The Wire all come to mind first. I'm not sure what box office success has to do with my point about talent. Are people going to see the most popular films (superhero movies, blockbuster sequels, etc) because the acting is good? No. And those aren't really the type of film roles these British actors are getting. I'd say white British actors are getting way more of those type of main roles (Spider-Man, Batman, Doctor Strange, etc)

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
The american tv shows are not helmed by good/great actors who went to school
They are helmed by low to mid range actors like omari hardwick or lil meech

Omari hardwick went to school on a football scholarship and minored in theater
Idris Elba went to National youth music theater on a grant
Lil meech is riding on clout from his dad

You can see the levels and quality on that front alone. The material that requires good acting for black leads is usually not going to someone who hasn't gone to theater school or can win an audition.

I mean right now in the US in terms of acting we only have john david washington and Zendaya holding it down right now. neither got respect until they actually showed some talent behind the clout

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Get Out, Nope, and The Wire all come to mind first. I'm not sure what box office success has to do with my point about talent. Are people going to see the most popular films (superhero movies, blockbuster sequels, etc) because the acting is good? No. And those aren't really the type of film roles these British actors are getting. I'd say white British actors are getting way more of those type of main roles (Spider-Man, Batman, Doctor Strange, etc)

Look. Y’all getting jobs in America but historically speaking, God tier talent can’t be denied and it’s a capitalists dream to come across that, and black Americans raised the bar globally since the 1930s. All I’m saying is, if the black Brit’s are so more talented, y’all can easily pull up the projects demonstrating such. I mean, half a century of cinema and y’all got is Stringer Bell? shyt look funny in the light. Do you want to compare Black American talent and the projects that came forth from that talent that influenced, movies, music, and pop culture because the talent was that strong?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The american tv shows are not helmed by good/great actors who went to school
They are helmed by low to mid range actors like omari hardwick or lil meech

Why are you failing to mention that those shows are not written to really display someone’s acting prowess according to ivory tower standards? And I see how you reduced Omari Hardwick to some dumb black jock. Y’all ain’t slick.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What American black actors are getting passed over?

Mahershala
Lakieth
JDW
Majors
MBJ
Tyree Henry
Cheadle
Denzel
Hodge
Glover
Yaya
Mackie
Chadwick

All of them are, were, or becoming Hollywood regulars, Oscar nominees/winners, Golden Globe nominees/winners, etc.

There's only a handful of black Brits compared to this list and I left off older guys like Denzel, Lawrence, Sam, Morgan, and Forest.

As for Larenz's point about Hollywood taking them because they have an audience overseas that's not really a big factor. Daniel Kaluuya isn't going to bring in a British audience. Get Out did 170 domestic, 30 overseas. A lot of times it's not even political or economic they just beat everyone in the audition or a director wanted them. Peele handpicked Kaluuya after he saw him in a Black Mirror episode. Sometimes it's just merit.

If you watched an actor give a great performance and later find out he's not American how can you turn around and say they shouldn't have been cast? Who watched The Wire and said Idris was the wrong actor?

:dwillhuh:

You’re saying just because established American black actors with box office or streaming success are still getting work, makes it ok to replace up and coming young black American talent with British actors?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
You guy are being dishonest, like another poster said some of the biggest American roles like Batman and Spider-Man were given to British actors you can’t make it about race atp. What’s a known fact is that UK economy has a hard cap ceiling regardless once you reach your next step will be trying to step into the American market.
I said they should get their money, that's what their supposed to do

But WE, as in American Black ppl should be speaking out

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Look. Y’all getting jobs in America but historically speaking, God tier talent can’t be denied and it’s a capitalists dream to come across that, and black Americans raised the bar globally since the 1930s. All I’m saying is, if the black Brit’s are so more talented, y’all can easily pull up the projects demonstrating such. I mean, half a century of cinema and y’all got is Stringer Bell? shyt look funny in the light. Do you want to compare Black American talent and the projects that came forth from that talent that influenced, movies, music, and pop culture because the talent was that strong?
This ain’t a black thing it’s a UK vs US thing, UKs pop culture relevance is dead across the board as a whole. Outside of Austin powers or 007 I couldn’t name you a popular white UK cinema too