LA breh's, what are the differences between Compton, South Central, Inglewood and Watts.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
They gotta be there cause there are Jamaican restaurants, but I only knew one Jamaican family the whole time I lived there. Didn't know any Belizeans at all, no Haitians or Trinidadians. Knew a couple Black Cubans. Like I said all of them were in the better-off areas. I could just be forgetting people though if they were assimilated.

Ah damn, now that I remember I was rolling through South Central once and there was a whole Jamaican party going on. Like off of Figueroa maybe in the 50s, South Park area. I remember cause the accents took me by surprise, wasn't used to that at all.
Yea and there was one Haitian spot there but the owner recently reitired and moved to South Florida.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
It completely depends on where in those areas you live. Some parts of Inglewood are quiet as hell and others are hopping. South Central is a big area, shyt changes depending on where you are. There are spots (the Bottoms in Inglewood, the Jungle in South LA) where I feel uncomfortable if I ain't with someone from there I know, but there really aren't places where I'd expect to get jumped just walking around or shyt like that. We'd have about a shooting at year at our spot but every time it happened it felt like a crazy break from the norm, it wasn't like shooters were rolling around looking for trouble on the regular.

:blessed:

King Poetic

The D.O.G. (Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Never saw this thread

One thing we all have in common, is a lot of black history is no more.....

People moved to places like Palmdale and Lancaster, both are trash cities... a lot of blacks went back south, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Georgia

Some more move to Vegas or Midwest states

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
watch his videos :manny:

He goes to all of the hood spots/streets

That hood look like The Wood in Iraq where the VHP brothers be:

Google Maps

And like the Plazas on the North where the Plaza Rats be:

Google Maps

Me and my brother last year were talking about making a documentary on Sac street history one day, I really need to figure out how to get that started...

There ain't any place without Mexicans anymore - Watts and Compton are majority latino now and Inglewood feels like it's going to get that way. There are still plenty of neighborhoods that are mostly black though like around Crenshaw from the Bottoms to about Manchester, or up in Ladera Heights. A few of the schools are 70-80% Black but most of them now are at least half latino, even in Inglewood. There are a few Tongans around too mostly around the 100s/110s.

This is what I love about LA, there are still majority black areas, Hyde Park is still majority black as well as the other areas around the Jungles you mentioned. There ain't a majority black hood left in Sacramento. LA and Oakland still got those turfs...

Even still though I think what OTers not really able to grasp is even in heavy Cholo areas, the black culture is still strong in some!

They gotta be there cause there are Jamaican restaurants, but I only knew one Jamaican family the whole time I lived there. Didn't know any Belizeans at all, no Haitians or Trinidadians. Knew a couple Black Cubans. Like I said all of them were in the better-off areas. I could just be forgetting people though if they were assimilated.

Ah damn, now that I remember I was rolling through South Central once and there was a whole Jamaican party going on. Like off of Figueroa maybe in the 50s, South Park area. I remember cause the accents took me by surprise, wasn't used to that at all.

I went to elementary school for a few years in University/Expo area, and still got people in that area. There are Belizeans up around that way, the Fruits and the 30s got Belizean affiliates...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Never saw this thread

One thing we all have in common, is a lot of black history is no more.....

People moved to places like Palmdale and Lancaster, both are trash cities... a lot of blacks went back south, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Georgia

Some more move to Vegas or Midwest states

This is true...

None of my Sac family ever went back to Arkansas; I had a great aunt (grandma sister) leave and go to Colorado for 15 years or so but came back. And my mom sister left and relocated her fam to San San Antonio probably 20 years ago now...

I got an aunt and cousins from Van Nuys/Pacoima who moved back to Arkansas in 2011-2012...

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
My wife and I almost bought a place in Compton in 2007, but she was too afraid that her parents weren't going to approve so we ended up buying in Gardena instead and had to pay $50,000 more. I was kinda pissed about that but when your father-in-law throwing down a down payment as a wedding gift. :yeshrug:

Everything crashed after that and then rebounded again, it's not "affordable" if you're used to anything other than LA prices but there's definitely plenty of real estate for sale still. Probably gonna crash again at some point soon though.
Not to live, to rent out. I’d never live in Cali

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
:pacspit:

People like you are what make living in LA so unaffordable for working class folks.

To be honest, I'm interested in investing in Upstate NY (Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse) and NC (Fayetteville) this way. Spots I'm all familiar with where the housing is so cheap and affordable....

But I get your sentiment though, in Cali specifically it has been uncontrolled. Itll reset once it busts, though. It'll take the bubble bursting to once again drive blacks back into California...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Outta nerdy curiosity, I looked up the Census tracts to see the demographics in the Wilmington Arms area. shyt confirmed what I already thought...

Wilmington Arms area is still 39% black (60% Latino). By contrast I don't think there's a single hood in Sac even 40% black anymore, 30% maybe, but all the historically black areas been pushed. In comparison to the hoods I posted, the Plazas area is in the DPH area and is a traditionally black area but is only about 18% black now (33% Latino, 18% white and 24% Asian)...

Valley Hi isn't a historic black community but has a large black population, but even the area around The Wood is only 24% black now (29% Latino, 19% Asian, 17% white)...

Part of it I know is because Sacramento neighborhoods were always more integrated than damn near anywhere else, even when Sac had a handful of mostly black areas, at they blackest they probably were never over 70% black back in the days. And to be fair if you in those areas even today, they feel blacker than they actually are, because there are areas with similar or higher black populations surrounding them, and the black culture is strong still...

But it does sadden me a little that there is no majority black hood in Sac anymore. Integration comes with both benefits and consequences...

King Poetic

The D.O.G. (Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
It started out with San Bernardino and Riverside, which were bad enough, but Palmdale and Lancaster. :scust:

I can't completely blame them though, a lot of the ones that moved were mamas trying to get their kids away from the gangs. Those neighborhoods changed a lot, it wasn't like those friendly out-on-the-street Black neighborhoods anymore, after the gang violence and crack epidemic picked up in the 1980s/1990s it got to the point where everyone got scary and was staying inside a lot of the time, not letting their kids out. Even after things calmed down you'd go to a place like Darby Park at night and it would be dead quiet, when back in the day it used to stay hopping. So I get why they left and the ugly desert cities were the only affordable place to go to. Still, you wish it coulda been another way.

Yup

Also after the riots black businesses took that insurance money and bounce to cheaper states

I can’t blame them either