Kyler Murray thread

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
I'm speaking from the recruiting perspective. A top receiver from Houston is announcing tomorrow out of left field b/c of this. Murray has a lot connections.

Siverand has been an aggy lean for sometime now. He wants to play in a spread offense and stay close to home. Murray or not he was likely going to a&m regardless. I don't see any connections UT should worry themselves over. Maybe Jefferson but I'm not sold on him anyway.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Siverand has been an aggy lean for sometime now. He wants to play in a spread offense and stay close to home. Murray or not he was likely going to a&m regardless. I don't see any connections UT should worry themselves over. Maybe Jefferson but I'm not sold on him anyway.
#1 player in the country is his teammate.

Gregory Little

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
#1 player in the country is his teammate.

Gregory Little

Breh Murray is a legacy. He was always going to A&M. The only thing that may change that is if Allen has a great year. Whatever fallout there maybe there was nothing Strong and Co could have done about it. He was never going to be a longhorn. Chill out the sky isn't falling and Mack is no longer or coach so getting guys on top of recruiting sites list isn't as important anymore.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Breh Murray is a legacy. He was always going to A&M. The only thing that may change that is if Allen has a great year. Whatever fallout there maybe there was nothing Strong and Co could have done about it. He was never going to be a longhorn. Chill out the sky isn't falling and Mack is no longer or coach so getting guys on top of recruiting sites list isn't as important anymore.
:manny:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, the thing is you still need players. A&M lucked out with Manziel and this SEC thing seems to be working for them. I don't like seeing them have all of this recruiting momentum b/c them taking all of the top talent is going to eventually start hurting us against elite teams outside our conference. I hope we have a good year to straighten some of this out b/c right now the perception of both programs has flipped.

I.V.

Keep this Fire
Supporter
Daps
What do you mean breh?

Why you wanna cut loose black excellence, and disown a great coach?

Just because he married a white girl...?

He's doing his part to spread brown people across the earth :ohlawd:

Every child he has with her, keeps a devil off the skreets. :whew:

Yogi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A&M going to the SEC was a game changer. Texas will regret talking to the PAC 10, which ultimately resulted in A&M leaving the Big 12. This also opened up the state of Texas to SEC recruiters.

HOUSTON -- Strake Jesuit coach James Clancy doesn't care what the numbers say. He ignores that only 36 of the 425 Texas high school football players who signed in 2014 picked SEC schools. Clancy, who played football at Tulsa, coached at Oklahoma State and has been a high school coach in Texas for eight years, knows the SEC's recruiting invasion of the Lone Star State is coming. He sees it every day with his own eyes walking through his locker room.

"When I first started, all you would see would be [University of Texas] sweatshirts on all the kids," Clancy said. "When you see high school football players wearing sweatshirts now, you see Alabama, you see LSU, you see Auburn and you especially see [Texas] A&M. You would never have seen a kid in Texas wearing an Alabama sweatshirt before A&M joined the SEC. When I was at OSU, Dallas and Houston were still Big 12 country. Now with all the success the SEC has had, those places are becoming more and more SEC territory."

SEC SCHOOLS INVADING TEXAS
sec.gif
Since 2002, current SEC schools have signed 555 recruits from Texas. Here's a look at how many Texas recruits each school has signed, plus a look at how many Texas recruits each school signed in the Class of 2014. - Information compiled by Jeremy Crabtree.

SchoolTexas recruits signed since 2002Texas recruits signed in 2014 class
Texas A&M25415
Missouri912
Arkansas742
LSU446
Vanderbilt192
Miss. State121
Ole Miss121
Alabama121
Tennessee112
Kentucky93
Florida91
Auburn50
Georgia20
South Carolina10
Much was written about how Texas A&M joining the SEC would open up the floodgates for conference schools to raid the deepest talent pool in the country. No state produces more Division I recruits year after year than Texas, and that talent fueled the success of Big 12 programs like Texas and Oklahoma for decades. Even Big 12 teams that have tasted success in the last 10 to 15 years like Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State were built on the foundation of Texas high school football players.

But many observers of Texas high school football agree the SEC's success on a national stage is starting to whittle away the Big 12's traditional stranglehold of the Lone Star State.

The Class of 2014 is a perfect example. The top three players in the state -- including five-starsMyles Garrett and Tony Brown and four-star Jamal Adams -- signed with Texas A&M, Alabama and LSU, respectively. It's carrying over to the 2015 class where of two of the state's top 10 players have picked Texas A&M and LSU, and the six uncommitted in the top 10 list have at least one SEC program among their top group.

"You see more and more SEC schools coming in," said Randy Rodgers, who has more than 35 years of experience with Texas high schools as a Division I recruiting coordinator and publisher of one of the state's most widely trusted scouting services.

"Kentucky hadn't recruited here since Hal Mumme was here, and they're back. Tennessee hadn't recruited here since Phil Fulmer, and now they're back. A&M is a given. Missouri has always recruited well in Texas when they were in the Big 12, Arkansas has recruited well in Dallas-Fort Worth, and LSU has done a lot of damage in Houston. You even see Mississippi and Mississippi State. We are definitely seeing SEC schools making more of an effort, and it's starting to pay off."

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin said it's paying off because the SEC brand is stronger in Texas than ever before, especially with television exposure and the fact the conference has played in eight straight national championship games. Sumlin also said the amount of players the SEC has sent to the NFL recently is a big selling point.

"The argument for whatever league is better from top to bottom is for everybody to debate, but when it comes to the talent level, I go by the employers," Sumlin said. "And the employers are the NFL, and clearly there have been a lot more players drafted out of the SEC of the course of the last seven, eight, nine, 10 years than any other league.

"I think particularly the elite athletes in Texas that we're trying to sign and get to come to Texas A&M pay attention to that. ... That's an awfully appealing pitch to prospects in Texas for any of the SEC schools that come into the state to recruit."

Rodgers, a number of Texas high school coaches and even several Big 12 assistants believe the uptick by SEC programs in Texas will make a dent with some Big 12 programs. Rodgers believes Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas and Tech Tech likely won't be dinged as much as the other conference schools because of their longstanding ties with the Lone Star State. But almost everybody agrees that Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and other out-of-state suitors from the region such as Nebraska are going to face tougher battles in the future.

[+] Enlarge
Scott Halleran/Getty ImagesTexas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin believes the number of SEC players in the NFL is a big factor for players picking a college.
"Over the years, we've always been able to come to Texas and find guys that are a little under recruited or weren't on Texas, OU and A&M's radar and get them," a Big 12 assistant coach said. "But we're already noticing more competition for those types of guys from schools like Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and even Tennessee. Recruiting in Texas is never easy, but it's about to become even more difficult."

Some SEC programs have a better chance at success in Texas than others. Rodgers believes A&M will continue to get the pick of the litter and Arkansas and LSU will still be factors. Alabama is on the minds more and more of top Texas prospects, especially after the Crimson Tide have signed seven Texans in the last five classes. But it's not going to be easy for all SEC programs.

"The rise of Baylor and the success that TCU has had will help them against some of these SEC teams," Rodgers said. "They're recruiting the kids that you would think escape to the Mississippi, Mississippi States and those types of places."

Make no mistake, though, the SEC invasion is happening and a number of high school and college coaches believe it will be especially felt in the classes of 2016-2020.

"We live in a society where it's all about what have you done for me lately," Clancy said. "Not even lately, but yesterday, and you magnify that by putting that in the minds of a young kids. All these seventh and eighth graders and freshmen, sophomores watching college football know for the last eight years is the SEC schools winning national titles, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Nick Saban, the game of the century and all that kind of stuff. That's all they know, and it's becoming ingrained on all the top players in Texas."

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
that was a very strategic move by stoops a few years ago. i don't agree with it b/c OU has always done well in North Texas and East Texas. that should be the lifeblood of their recruiting.

Cali really started a long time ago with players like Roy Williams then later Dontae nicholson, then Demarco Murray from Vegas up thru KEnny Stills, Tony Jefferson etc

Some of these kids from Texas don't have OU on their list, so :manny: Might as well take advantage of USC falling off a bit

I like the mix and branching out.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why you wanna cut loose black excellence, and disown a great coach?

Just because he married a white girl...?

He's doing his part to spread brown people across the earth :ohlawd:

Every child he has with her, keeps a devil off the skreets. :whew:

I'm not mad at him marrying a white woman, but I can't cosign guys talking about "players need to rock with the black coaches" when those coaches won't even rock with black women

I.V.

Keep this Fire
Supporter
Daps
I'm not mad at him marrying a white woman, but I can't cosign guys talking about "players need to rock with the black coaches" when those coaches won't even rock with black women

But those players gotta rock with white teammates? Sumlin is the ultimate teammate... he's setting a great example!

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
last week

Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer Aug 29
Texas A&M commit Kyler Murray had 499 yards of total offense and six touchdowns tonight. He’s a better HS QB than Kenny Hill FWIW.

today

Kyle Field ‏@Wtank92 25m
Kyler Murray late 4th quarter stats: completed 24 of 40 passes for 381 yards and 2 TDs, rushed for 185 yards and 5 TDs on 11 carries.

Johnny Football + Kenny Trill = Kyler Murray