Kyler Murray thread

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
Dunno if any of you guys knew this but

Murray was an ELITE baseball prospect as well with both the bat and glove. Could've gone top 10 or so in this June's draft pretty easily if he had decided to quit football. Couldve had a 3-4 million signing bonus right off the bat and already been playing professionally in the minors if he wanted to

Kid is a special athlete, will be very interesting to see what he does in college
Murray is basically a Russell Wilson clone

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Murray is basically a Russell Wilson clone

Maybe on the football field but he was a far far far far far superior baseball player then Wilson. Wilson wouldn't be able to really hack it in the minors that well. Murray had very real very serious baseball potential. Wilson showed some skills and was a 4th rounder (a long shot) while Murray was an elite prospect who everyone stopped scouting seriously once he knew he was going to A&M

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Maybe on the football field but he was a far far far far far superior baseball player then Wilson. Wilson wouldn't be able to really hack it in the minors that well. Murray had very real very serious baseball potential. Wilson showed some skills and was a 4th rounder (a long shot) while Murray was an elite prospect who everyone stopped scouting seriously once he knew he was going to A&M

They didn't stop scouting him, dude likely would have been drafted in the 1st round. He opted out of the MLB draft.

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They didn't stop scouting him, dude likely would have been drafted in the 1st round. He opted out of the MLB draft.

Even then I think he would of slid because of the strength of his commitment to football. I know he opted out but nobody was going to take that risk in the first regardless of what bonus pool money they had

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Dunno if any of you guys knew this but

Murray was an ELITE baseball prospect as well with both the bat and glove. Could've gone top 10 or so in this June's draft pretty easily if he had decided to quit football. Couldve had a 3-4 million signing bonus right off the bat and already been playing professionally in the minors if he wanted to

Kid is a special athlete, will be very interesting to see what he does in college

Dual sport baseball players are almost always overrated by non baseball guys. Murray is a great baseball prospect but all of that potential top 10 pick nonsense was over the top. Y'all can't possibly believe he just pulled out of the draft for no reason. He pulled out because he has a shoulder issue (not "serious" from what I understand) and his senior year wasn't as expected. Dude was/is a fringe 1st Rd guy at best which is amazing in itself so I don't understand the extra hype other than the usual over rating of football players in the baseball draft. Hell Daz Cameron fall really far in the draft and still got a nice signing bonus because of his value. Y'all can't believe Murray willingly turned down several million (I mean if you really believe he was a top 10 talent) to be a backup in college station:pachaha:. One last baseball note, if I remember correctly Murray was an alternate and late addition to the baseball under Armour all American game when someone was injured. Top 10 talents aren't alternates...

As for the "he should've went ___" that others are making, maybe but that's close to impossible for any of us to know. The "recruit x should've gone to school y" is basically the sports equivalent to telling another man that he should be fukking a different women then the one he is currently with. Recruiting is all about relationships and we don't know what relationships these recruits have with different coaches. Even if a recruit might be a better system fit at one school over another who's to say the recruit is comfortable playing for that coaching staff?

Some of y'all sound like y'all would make your kid's decision for him rather than educating him and exposing him to everything he needs to know to make the best decision for himself. Reminds me of a kid that is currently rated a 4 star quarterback by all 4 major recruiting services. I know for a fact that the kid tried to commit to a certain school twice this summer but both times his step daddy (not even biological father! ) stepped in and nixed his decision. The kid has since committed to a school that fits more of what step daddy thinks his son needs. The funny thing is that he's pushed the kid to a program led by a known scumbag who has burned bridges at every school that he's left. Matter of fact just yesterday the coach's own son (who is/was on the same staff) had to leave the program in the middle of training camp. Early word is he was involved in some inappropriate shyt he shouldn't have been doing.

There are way more Whitney Lewis types (busts forced by their parents to attend a certain school) than Eric Winston types (wanted Texas, daddy wanted a&m, compromised on Miami, still made the league).

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dual sport baseball players are almost always overrated by non baseball guys. Murray is a great baseball prospect but all of that potential top 10 pick nonsense was over the top. Y'all can't possibly believe he just pulled out of the draft for no reason. He pulled out because he has a shoulder issue (not "serious" from what I understand) and his senior year wasn't as expected. Dude was/is a fringe 1st Rd guy at best which is amazing in itself so I don't understand the extra hype other than the usual over rating of football players in the baseball draft. Hell Daz Cameron fall really far in the draft and still got a nice signing bonus because of his value. Y'all can't believe Murray willingly turned down several million (I mean if you really believe he was a top 10 talent) to be a backup in college station:pachaha:. One last baseball note, if I remember correctly Murray was an alternate and late addition to the baseball under Armour all American game when someone was injured. Top 10 talents aren't alternates...

As for the "he should've went ___" that others are making, maybe but that's close to impossible for any of us to know. The "recruit x should've gone to school y" is basically the sports equivalent to telling another man that he should be fukking a different women then the one he is currently with. Recruiting is all about relationships and we don't know what relationships these recruits have with different coaches. Even if a recruit might be a better system fit at one school over another who's to say the recruit is comfortable playing for that coaching staff?

Some of y'all sound like y'all would make your kid's decision for him rather than educating him and exposing him to everything he needs to know to make the best decision for himself. Reminds me of a kid that is currently rated a 4 star quarterback by all 4 major recruiting services. I know for a fact that the kid tried to commit to a certain school twice this summer but both times his step daddy (not even biological father! ) stepped in and nixed his decision. The kid has since committed to a school that fits more of what step daddy thinks his son needs. The funny thing is that he's pushed the kid to a program led by a known scumbag who has burned bridges at every school that he's left. Matter of fact just yesterday the coach's own son (who is/was on the same staff) had to leave the program in the middle of training camp. Early word is he was involved in some inappropriate shyt he shouldn't have been doing.

There are way more Whitney Lewis types (busts forced by their parents to attend a certain school) than Eric Winston types (wanted Texas, daddy wanted a&m, compromised on Miami, still made the league).

Kyler Murray, star Allen quarterback and A&M pledge becomes first player picked for Under Armour All-America baseball, football games

first player picked for both Under Armour games

You're right that he was fringe top 30, but you're dismissing that like this is football or baseball.

Will MLB's new rules cost baseball Kyler Murray?

This is one you have wrong. Baseball was coveting this dude big time. He wasn't one of those potential guys. He was producing big time already.

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Kyler Murray, star Allen quarterback and A&M pledge becomes first player picked for Under Armour All-America baseball, football games

first player picked for both Under Armour games

You're right that he was fringe top 30, but you're dismissing that like this is football or baseball.

Will MLB's new rules cost baseball Kyler Murray?

This is one you have wrong. Baseball was coveting this dude big time. He wasn't one of those potential guys. He was producing big time already.

First of all here is an article that portrays the All American selection as a "recent" decision relative to the day of the game (and also the way I remember things):

Kyler Murray makes Under Armour history - MaxWire National Blog - MaxPreps

What's most likely is that he was selected by both, as you linked, pulled out due to his football schedule, and then was a last minute addition once he knew his schedule was open. That said if you know anything about these shoe company sponsored games then you know their selections are strategic. What better way to get Murray to lock himself into the UA football game? But hey if you believe he was worthy of being a top selection that's on you.

Idk what the hell that second article you linked is supposed to prove and you laid out a nice strawman with your football or baseball comment. No shyt it isn't football or baseball. No shyt he is a big time prospect. Calling someone a fringe 1st rd pick (which you agreed with) means I'm saying dude is highly coveted. The point is the hyperbole is unnecessary. If someone was going around this spring saying Shaq Thompson was a potential top 10 NFL draft pick I'd call them out too because while Thompson is nice, all of that extra shyt is unnecessary. He wasn't considered a top of the draft selection by baseball folks. Doesn't mean he isn't nice and it doesn't mean he can't work his way into one 3-4 years from now.

It's hilarious to me that there are people that really think he pulled out of the draft for no real reason, just because. :patrice:He could've stayed in the draft without the intent to sign just so he could leave himself with another option. Just like, yanno, every other dual sport guy.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know if you just don't understand the MLB draft or if you're just not understanding what you're reading. The MLB draft is 40 rounds. 40. It used to be more. If you are considered a top 30 prospect, you are elite elite. Like top 5 NFL draft. Like top 2 or 3 NBA draft. Murray's situation was not like Russell Wilson, who was drafted like in the 41st round out of high school. It was more like Jameis Winston or Kenny Hill, or even Cody Thomas. All of those dudes turned down big money. Murray was considered a better prospect than all of them. Elite, elite. Don't know Winston's family situation, but Murray, Hill and Thomas were all at least upper-middle class kids. Hill's dad was a career starting MLB pitcher, so his family is worth millions. You're from Houston, so you probably remember Kohl Stewart, who was supposed to go to A&M. Dude was the elite elite elite elite. Picked 4th in the draft. His signing bonus alone was $4.5 million.

Here's a good idea of what these kids turned down

2013 MLB Draft Signings Central - BaseballAmerica.com

Dude was 32nd pick and got $1.8 milly. Elite. You're calling it extra shyt, but it just is what it is. Dude turned down a big payday.

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I don't know if you just don't understand the MLB draft or if you're just not understanding what you're reading. The MLB draft is 40 rounds. 40. It used to be more. If you are considered a top 30 prospect, you are elite elite. Like top 5 NFL draft. Like top 2 or 3 NBA draft. Murray's situation was not like Russell Wilson, who was drafted like in the 41st round out of high school. It was more like Jameis Winston or Kenny Hill, or even Cody Thomas. All of those dudes turned down big money. Murray was considered a better prospect than all of them. Elite, elite. Don't know Winston's family situation, but Murray, Hill and Thomas were all at least upper-middle class kids. Hill's dad was a career starting MLB pitcher, so his family is worth millions. You're from Houston, so you probably remember Kohl Stewart, who was supposed to go to A&M. Dude was the elite elite elite elite. Picked 4th in the draft. His signing bonus alone was $4.5 million.

Here's a good idea of what these kids turned down

2013 MLB Draft Signings Central - BaseballAmerica.com

Dude was 32nd pick and got $1.8 milly. Elite. You're calling it extra shyt, but it just is what it is. Dude turned down a big payday.

It's funny to me that you can be so consistently condescending and yet you're always completely off the mark. You come off as the epitome of a smart dumb mfer that pretends to know more about sports than he really does. I'm not sure why you're even addressing me since you seem incapable of comprehending my actual words. You literally haven't said shyt I don't already know.

None of those dual sport guys that you named were considered cream of the crop baseball prospects other than Kohl so I want to thank your dumb ass for helping to make my point that I expressed in my first post in this thread. Then you wanna split hairs on words to describe Murray as a prospect like you're schooling me. Fool you already agreed with me on where his actual value was. Idgaf if you want to call him elite. Then you post a list of slot bonuses as if I didn't mention Daz Cameron in my first post. Are you stupid?

Look at my original post. Not only are you one disingenuous, goalpost moving mfer but as I said you're making my point for me. You already said Murray wasn't a top 10 pick this past draft. You have no point and you're arguing just to argue. I don't even recognize your username outside of the smu thread where you posted nothing but bullshyt inaccuracies and lies. I'm starting to see a pattern with you.:francis:

...o3

...eye see messages in music
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
dallas, tx
is this really about to turn into a "meet me in tumecula thread"?

PopcornGus-2.gif

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Ain't no Temecula shyt happening breh :martin:

Dude's just being a troll finding shyt to nitpick. Breh already agreed that lil buddy wasn't considered a top 10ish guy, which means he agrees that he wasn't gonna be one of the dozen or so guys that got "several million" for a bonus whether they went top 10 or fell to the supplemental or 2nd like Daz Cameron.

I probably could've eased up on the insults though:lolbron:

I'd edit it a bit but that'd seem bytchmade :manny:

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's funny to me that you can be so consistently condescending and yet you're always completely off the mark. You come off as the epitome of a smart dumb mfer that pretends to know more about sports than he really does. I'm not sure why you're even addressing me since you seem incapable of comprehending my actual words. You literally haven't said shyt I don't already know.

None of those dual sport guys that you named were considered cream of the crop baseball prospects other than Kohl so I want to thank your dumb ass for helping to make my point that I expressed in my first post in this thread. Then you wanna split hairs on words to describe Murray as a prospect like you're schooling me. Fool you already agreed with me on where his actual value was. Idgaf if you want to call him elite. Then you post a list of slot bonuses as if I didn't mention Daz Cameron in my first post. Are you stupid?

Look at my original post. Not only are you one disingenuous, goalpost moving mfer but as I said you're making my point for me. You already said Murray wasn't a top 10 pick this past draft. You have no point and you're arguing just to argue. I don't even recognize your username outside of the smu thread where you posted nothing but bullshyt inaccuracies and lies. I'm starting to see a pattern with you.:francis:

good lord man. Same shyt you did on the SMU thread. I can't even. Don't even know how this got emotional. Point was, dude was a first rounder and many thought he wasn't going to A&M because he had a big payday coming. You don't have to be a top ten pick to be elite in baseball. I don't know how that's goal post moving. Don't know why that means cussing, bad words or that I'm a dumbass. Every article indicates he was a first round talent. Good God.

based on the info, you're the troll, trying to diminish the young man as a baseball talent. Don't know how that's condescending when every damn article mentioned about dude says so. Also you did say he was a late pick to the Under Armour game. The link said otherwise, but you STILL tried to say otherwise.

Last edited: