Kwame Brown Sues Financial Advisor For Allegedly Stealing $17.4 Million

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
power and having the right to do something are 2 different things... there are fiduciary obligations that are in place here

Yeah but why risk that if an athelet isn’t financially sound? Like I said at minimum they should just bank their money and not touch it and not have someone in complete control of your money except for the person who’s name is on the paycheck

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah but why risk that if an athelet isn’t financially sound? Like I said at minimum they should just bank their money and not touch it and not have someone in complete control of your money except for the person who’s name is on the paycheck

I don't disagree.... the overwhelming majority of people that earn like that don't sit on their money, when they probably should.... you're taking advantage of a young, naive, gullible 18 to 21 year old.... Older and whiter have been done the same way.... trust me

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Your brother has worked with every professional athlete? :lupe:
quit playing dumb. I personally know a few athletes who were in the league, and they went through the same shyt. They lost a lot of their money at the hands of financial advisors dipping into their funds. A lot of cats just aren't that financially savory. Not necessarily "stupid", but they just never built that financial skill set. Heck you give a lot of people a few million and a similar outcome would arise.

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
7 figures is still a lot of money wether you want to down play it or not. I won’t even pose the same question to you..

As for the bolded yeah it applies because you’re signing power of attorney to someone who has no connection to you..

And for 1. I don’t drive a 75k vehicle I drive a 35k vehicle

2. Have you managed 60 mill?
With any kind of discipline and basic planning, anyone can live a fantastic, upper-middle class standard of living off a 7 figure settlement for the rest of your life.

It doesn't even take real knowledge of investing. Municipal bond interest is tax-free. Purchase a Vanguard super-low expense ratio municipal bond mutual fund and live off the interest.

Problem solved. :win:

If you want to do more (and earn more) :blessed:, the options are limitless - but the important thing is that there are zero-thought-necessary options available that yield more than enough for someone to live a great lifestyle. :ahh:
You don't need to be a genius to invest in a Vanguard mutual fund - them nikkas will even take care of it over the phone if you don't know how to work a computer :dead:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
quit playing dumb. I personally know a few athletes who were in the league, and they went through the same shyt. They lost a lot of their money at the hands of financial advisors dipping into their funds. A lot of cats just aren't that financially savory. Not necessarily "stupid", but they just never built that financial skill set. Heck you give a lot of people a few million and a similar outcome would arise.

You know a few athletes? The posters brothers said athletes are dumb.... at least that's the way I read it....when a lot of times that's not the case at all.... ask the poster who posted that if his brother works with MLB players...... Jake Peavy and few other MLB players got referred to as victims of fraud when they got ganked out of 10 mil plus each...... none of them were referred to as stupid.... when Elway got milked for 15 million in a scam, they damn near wanted to call for an economic reform...... but they didn't dare label him stupid or irresponsible....... you see how this works?

Great Big

Rookie
Daps
I know I will sound like a racist here but real talk a financial advisor named Michelle Marquez? Sounds more like a female who sucked him dry in more ways than one :mjgrin: If you don't know what to do with your money take half and buy stabilized apartment buildings, take 20% and buy blue chip stocks, another 20% in US bonds, and keep 10% in an interest bearing account that you only withdraw the interest from for your day to day activities. I done seen firsthand how this happens in Miami, they get these hoes to s*ck and f*ck you, promoters to show you around town, these same hoes linked up with these CAC scammers that drain these NBA players for everything they got. I remember reading a story about how a lot of these chicks that NBA players f*ck on the side are linked to pimps controlled by the very owners of the team. Once you get signed up they try to get you to give up all the dollars you just got. How we still slaves in 2016 :scusthov:

You have a link for that?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
She forged his signature.
Read the article.
And yes BoA and ML will get in trouble because they didn't even verify the documents submitted in his supposed name. He was a victim of fraud and that is on them for the assets he entrusted to them.

I agree that she's in trouble, but I don't believe BoA or ML will get clapped. Given how hands off Kwame was with his accounts, I'd bet money that ML's lawyers will be able to argue they couldn't be expected to determine which decisions were his and which were forged. This happens often and banks don't lose in court a lot.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I agree that she's in trouble, but I don't believe BoA or ML will get clapped. Given how hands off Kwame was with his accounts, I'd bet money that ML's lawyers will be able to argue they couldn't be expected to determine which decisions were his and which were forged. This happens often and banks don't lose in court a lot.
They are going to have to show they practiced due diligence and due care.
If they never even contacted him to verify that is their ass

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
happens all the time. That's why brehs need to take the LBJ approach.

Trust is the hardest thing in this world to find
[

LBJ was rare, he was taught this at 17. Most never get this. The NBA also has decided that this is a critical area since Silver took leadership