Kwame Brown Sues Financial Advisor For Allegedly Stealing $17.4 Million

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
These advisors be playing chess:snoop:
:francis:

I'll put up a more detailed post later.

But for now, I just want to say - the vast majority of athletes should not need any sort of financial advisor.

Given the extraordinary losses suffered by so many players due to poorly thought out private equity investments, shytty real estate deals, single-name securities investments (rather than indices), bizarre loan structures and tax minimization "strategies", their best bet would be to do the following:

1) Go to the biggest-name bank in their city (BoA, Chase, Citi).

2) Set up all game checks, sponsorship checks, etc. to direct deposit to their fukking checking account.

3) Don't "invest" a fukking penny until they're done playing. Literally allow it to pile up in their checking account earning bullshyt interest.

4) At some point, maybe move some money into a linked savings account (usually these get opened automatically when you set up a checking account).

The Feds, their home state, and states in which they play away games will automatically withhold whatever taxes they owe on their game checks. There won't be much, if any of a tax refund for them.

Filing their taxes should be a simple as going to a fukking storefront H&R Block. Larger dollar amounts don't make taxes any more complicated than smaller ones. Income is income is income.

Will they miss out on 10 or even 15 years of investment returns? Yes.

But it means there isn't the possibility of losing their entire fortune to some fukking crook.

When they're done playing, they can turn their focus to properly investing all the cash they've amassed. They'll have the time and energy necessary to vet advisors, and learn as much as possible about how to preserve and grow their wealth. Trying to do that while also focusing on being an extraordinary athlete is too much for the vast majority of people.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
He won't get anywhere suing BoA or ML. They didn't do shyt. This financial adviser on the other hand....high way robbery. You CAN'T hire someone to handle your money and not watch them at all. Breh fukked up.
She forged his signature.
Read the article.
And yes BoA and ML will get in trouble because they didn't even verify the documents submitted in his supposed name. He was a victim of fraud and that is on them for the assets he entrusted to them.

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Being rich gotta be stressful man. I know it sounds like paradise but when you got tens of millions it's hard to watch all that money by yourself....that means u gotta trust SOMEBODY.

And to be rich and then lose it all has to be a top 5 worst life experience. I'd rather be broke forever than to fall from multimillion dollar grace :wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah it’s how I handle my 7 figure settlement I received 3 years ago.. I’m living off the interest as I should..

Anymore questions?

Nah, just observations....

7 figures aint 60 million... not even close....

and also

shyt is simple yet these dumb ass nikkas always getting got I don’t understand,

that bolded mighty extra, when Kwame actually did nothing wrong, and on top of that, plenty of crackers get got by financial advisors too..... its lot of so called nikkas that's supposedly in the community but also happen to be 7 figure, 75k vehicle driving, 600k house owning ballers when its convenient to push a narrative.....

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
One thing i don't understand is that these cats making millions. Diversify that shyt and live off the interest. But maybe that's just me. No need for someone to have access to your loot. Maybe it's more complicated than that though. They need to SERIOUSLY educate themselves on taking care of their money

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Being rich gotta be stressful man. I know it sounds like paradise but when you got tens of millions it's hard to watch all that money by yourself....that means u gotta trust SOMEBODY.

And to be rich and then lose it all has to be a top 5 worst life experience. I'd rather be broke forever than to fall from multimillion dollar grace :wow:

Being rich and famous... Take the fame out and your just any ole joe with money so long as you live the way a regular ole joe lives..

Pops told me always look for the cheapest house in the rich neighborhood..

Don’t telegraph your moves to anymore. live modest and watch your money grow..

My pops was cheap as fukk and I never understood why the guy never bought a decent pair of shoes.. now I understand..

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Nah, just observations....

7 figures aint 60 million... not even close....

and also

that bolded mighty extra, when Kwame actually did nothing wrong, and on top of that, plenty of crackers get got by financial advisors too..... its lot of so called nikkas that's supposedly in the community but also happen to be 7 figure, 75k vehicle driving, 600k house owning ballers when its convenient to push a narrative.....

7 figures is still a lot of money wether you want to down play it or not. I won’t even pose the same question to you..

As for the bolded yeah it applies because you’re signing power of attorney to someone who has no connection to you..

And for 1. I don’t drive a 75k vehicle I drive a 35k vehicle

2. Have you managed 60 mill?

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
Honestly speaking if you are not financially sound at minimum you should be able to control your own money and not be duped into signing over power of attorney to anyone..

1. Open a money market account
2. Open a couple savings and checking accounts at various banks and credit unions.
3. When you sign your professional sports contract have the lions share directly deposited into your money market account
4. Have the remaking money’s direct deposited into the savings and checkings.
5. Use one of the check accounts strictly as your bill account where you pay all your bills monthly and have the bill balances on auto pay so that way you don’t have to worry about unpaid bills

shyt is simple yet these dumb ass nikkas always getting got I don’t understand, it’s like bank all your bread and don’t invest shyt with anyone or have mofos handling your money only you should.. When you retire you would be better equipped to do small investing etc but at least you have every last dollar you made playing professional
My bad breh, I didn't read through the other posts before I posted.

What you're doing is exactly what the vast majority of NBA nikkas should be doing. :salute::myman:

Not a fukking soul gets to touch your money, for any reason. :birdman:

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
For anyone with questions, I have said it before, my brother deals with athletes and entertainers in a legal capacity and he routinely says that by and large, the athletes are just plain dumb.

He said they could literally just take the money and put it in the bank and be fine. But they're so dumb they don't even think to do that, so the sharks come in and bleed them dry.

He bills at $500/hour to deal with them and he has had potential clients turn him down because they thought that the rate was too low so he was a scam artist, only to use another legal representative who charges double or even triple that, and they end up actually getting scammed in the long run.
:snoop:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Being rich and famous... Take the fame out and your just any ole joe with money so long as you live the way a regular ole joe lives..

Pops told me always look for the cheapest house in the rich neighborhood..

Don’t telegraph your moves to anymore. live modest and watch your money grow..

My pops was cheap as fukk and I never understood why the guy never bought a decent pair of shoes.. now I understand..
Look broke stay rich.

A lot of people look rich but end up broke or are broke.

To me it's like weight and being in shape. A lot of people can loose weight, maybe even get into great shape, but very few people have what it takes to maintain that lifestyle over the years.

Same with money. I believe many people can make good / great money 100k+ but then they get caught up with the insecurities associated with keeping up with everyone else. So instead of saving / investing money. People ultimately blow money fast. Which I don't blame because unless they're unselfishly thinking about the next generation(giving money to their offspring) it makes no sense to hoard money, because you cant take it with you when you die.

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
Athletes have to pay taxes to the states that they play in, because they are considered contractors.

Your entire income is not taxed at 45%.
Are you familiar with how income taxes work?

Players already do this.

They have the option to ask for a share of thier money up front, or to receive a direct deposit, or paper check bi-weekly. The problem is they sign a power of attorney and allow an advisor to come in and have full control over those bank accounts once they have ALREADY EARNED THE MONEY. To write checks to pay thier bills and cover certain expenses and make "smart investments" while they are on the road. When you sign a Power of Attorney someone has complete control over all of your money, they are YOU as far as the bank is concerned.

With a Power of Attorney, an advisor could go buy a car and use player money to do it, and the only way the player would know it happened is if he looked at his bank statement and saw a $250,000 withdrawal was made. Then the player would have to ask the advisor to show what the money was for. That's when they cook up these phony companies to try and show diligence, when they're really just stealing the money and spending it.

If someone is smart enough and diligent enough to look at their own bank statements and file their own income taxes, they wouldn't need an advisor in the first place. Your point is 100% right, and you're asking how they keep getting got I'm telling you, unfortunately players are just not that bright, they never took education seriously. :francis:

So people like my oldest brother get to charge them $500 an hour to tell them things they could find out if they took a few minutes in the offseason to read about, but they're too busy partying and in the clubs to notice.

I'll never forget when he just broke down and told me they were "just plain dumb", with that beaten look on his face. I was hurt for them. So many young black men with the ability to change entire communities, but so unintelligent. :mjcry:
The whole shyt makes me so
giphy.gif