KOD is among the most important albums of this generation

detroit devil 3

All Star
Daps
Out of all his albums, this probs has the least replay value personally.

I mean from an actual music perspective he kinda lost me after FHD so it’s whatever

but I’ve fw a couple loosies like ‘snow on the bluff’ and the more recent ones and ik rotd 2 was definitely legit so all hope isn’t lost, just need another classic, that’s all, to make it 3

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
This song just reaffirms the title of this thread

We all have demons and that inner struggle is a battle we will fight for the rest of our lives. Some come out victorious and find peace within themselves. And some fall victim and succumb to their pitfalls

Cole has told this story in different ways throughout his career

Two early examples

It's not easy to make it out the projects. Being Black in America in general is among the hardest life experiences in the history of humanity. This is where KOD's power lies and why Cole is one of the greats

Not only has he told the stories of black men and women in the hood masterfully through his music for 11 plus years. But he made KOD, an album that acknowledges how vices reinforce the deadly cycle in every environment. In Fayetteville, Baltimore, Mississippi, Atlanta, everywhere. He made an album that speaks to the traumas and coping mechanisms while giving gems on how to overcome and find inner peace

This is an album that doesnt preach about doing the right thing. It lays out all the ways to cope and simply tells the listener to choose wisely. Music like this goes way beyond internet criticism. It goes beyond the stereotypes of conscious hip hop. This is the music that changes lives in the real world and lives forever in history

Like I said before once time passes, this album and Cole's discography as a whole will be widely regarded as monumental music in the history of the genre

In the era of Percocets, Mollys and Zannys, Cole shined a light without being preachy. He told stories of his own addictions as well as those of his family and friends on this record

He showed the reality of these unhealthy vices without glorification. Displayed the feeling you get when you cope with them and the downfall of overreliance

Meditation and prayer are two healthy coping skills he touched on. And like I said before, he wasn't preachy while doing so. Throughout the album he shows empathy instead of scolding. He isn't on that "don't do drugs be a good person" shyt. I feel like many of the listeners who called it pretentious and preachy simply just didn't want to hear the message

KOD's importance and power will be seen and acknowledged on a grand scale in time. But that's how everything is. We often don't appreciate things in the moment. It isn't until time passes when we start giving flowers and realize the value of things

Whether it's soon after Cole retires or further in time, KOD will eventually be viewed widely as one of the most important albums of this generation. History will remember this album and the rest of his music fondly

Last edited:

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I liked it, rappers don't strp out their comfort zone enough and that felt like what J. Cole was doing. Its like people kind of forgot therr was a theme and concept to thus album. Not his best album but I enjoyed it better than Sideline Story and 4 your eyes only. Brackets and Window Pain are probably my favorites but I like quite a few songs on it

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Best produced album
Best conceptual album

Top to bottom I'd probably only see FNL/TWU as it's equal and with his latest shyt right under those

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
You’re right OP, that album is forgettable just like this entire generation.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I revisited this album it's actually pretty good the concept was executed masterfully dude is talking about real shyt top to bottom

Still don't like ATM, Motiv8, or the Kill Edward thing

It is a very important album because it really touches on substance abuse especially as it pertains around urban black communities especially in a generation of the opioid epidemic