KOD is among the most important albums of this generation

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
You know you can’t praise Cole without nikkas bringing up Kendrick:francis:
I used to be one of those people. I learned it's best to just appreciate artists while they're still making music. Debating about who's better can be fun and enlightening at times but it's good to find a balance with it. I've been a fan of Cole since The Warm Up came out in 09. Once I heard Section 80, Kendrick leapfrogged Cole on my list. GKMC dropped and that was all she wrote

Cole started to get alot of love in the mainstream after 2014 Forest Hills Drive dropped. That's when you saw his fanbase grow larger to where it is now. Being reactionary to Cole getting more love than Kendrick even after TPAB came out, I'd play that "Kendrick > Cole" game

I used to debate my friends all the time about who was better. One of them didn't even start listening to him until FHD came out and would still debate with his whole heart that Cole was better. shyt used to piss me off because I was a bigger fan of Cole than he was and I still had the sense to know that Kendrick was better
:pachaha:

Even back when I was in middle school I would debate nikkas on how Nas was better than Jay. I learned that it doesn't even really matter at the end of the day. When it's all said and done, Kendrick and Cole will go down as two of the greatest rappers of the 2010s era. I may like one more than the other but I don't let that get in the way of my appreciation for what they both bring to the game anymore

Mag Wheel

All Star
Daps
I want to like J Cole more than I do but he doesn’t give me a reason to. Sometimes he will come out the blue with a crazy verse that makes me think I might be missing something but over all, I don’t rock with him. Too many wack or mediocre beats too.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
Wow....

Man I love this album....didn’t realize it got so much hate.

it didn’t..

It’s probably his most acclaimed work outside of FHD

The Coli largely doesn’t like J. Cole bro.. he’s just one of those artists. I don’t even bother with arguing with nikkas.. just let them get their hot takes off in peace breh

:yeshrug:

If you’re not Nas or Griselda, coli not fukking with it

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
I used to be one of those people. I learned it's best to just appreciate artists while they're still making music. Debating about who's better can be fun and enlightening at times but it's good to find a balance with it. I've been a fan of Cole since The Warm Up came out in 09. Once I heard Section 80, Kendrick leapfrogged Cole on my list. GKMC dropped and that was all she wrote

Cole started to get alot of love in the mainstream after 2014 Forest Hills Drive dropped. That's when you saw his fanbase grow larger to where it is now. Being reactionary to Cole getting more love than Kendrick even after TPAB came out, I'd play that "Kendrick > Cole" game

I used to debate my friends all the time about who was better. One of them didn't even start listening to him until FHD came out and would still debate with his whole heart that Cole was better. shyt used to piss me off because I was a bigger fan of Cole than he was and I still had the sense to know that Kendrick was better
:pachaha:

Even back when I was in middle school I would debate nikkas on how Nas was better than Jay. I learned that it doesn't even really matter at the end of the day. When it's all said and done, Kendrick and Cole will go down as two of the greatest rappers of the 2010s era. I may like one more than the other but I don't let that get in the way of my appreciation for what they both bring to the game anymore
I hear you.

It’s cool to personally prefer one over the other, me for example, I’ve fell more in with Cole after FHD and 4YEO because he was rapping and talking about shyt that heavily resonated with me on a personal level. Doesn’t mean I also don’t love Kendrick as well but Cole shyt hits with me more.

With that said GKMC and S80 are two of my favorite albums of all time.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I hear you.

It’s cool to personally prefer one over the other, me for example, I’ve fell more in with Cole after FHD and 4YEO because he was rapping and talking about shyt that heavily resonated with me on a personal level. Doesn’t mean I also don’t love Kendrick as well but Cole shyt hits with me more.

With that said GKMC and S80 are two of my favorite albums of all time.
Section 80 and GKMC are classic material. I’m not hating on Kendrick. I just don’t like how nikkas shyt on Cole for certain shyt and praise Kendrick for the same shyt. If Kendrick made KOD it wouldn’t be getting as much hate and that’s a fact.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Section 80 and GKMC are classic material. I’m not hating on Kendrick. I just don’t like how nikkas shyt on Cole for certain shyt and praise Kendrick for the same shyt. If Kendrick made KOD it wouldn’t be getting as much hate and that’s a fact.
Exactly bro

Daps
Love The Album!! Dark sounding album but went greatly with the message!

peace

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
I think the biggest difference between Cole and Kendrick on these issues is that Cole presents himself as having answers, and Kendrick doesn't. Likewise Cole presents himself in a largely linear, straight forward way while Kendrick embraces contradiction. The reason nobody thinks Pac was preachy is because he presented both sides. Cole is the opposite of that and it turns people off, even when he’s being genuine.

So I don’t think Cole bit anything. I think they both influence each other but end of the day they’re different types of writers. In terms of KOD’s message I’m sure it reached some young kids. I used to fukk around with a young chick who loved Cole, lived that fast life, and said she liked the message but it was too preachy. Flip side I’m sure that album saved someone’s life.

To truly reach those kids you need someone like XXX. He understood that balance because he was fighting his own demons. Ironically Cole used to talk to him a lot apparently and was trying to steer him to the right path but inner turmoil is no joke.
Putting his personal life aside, XXX could've potentially gone down as one of the greats of his era. He was so talented. Just didn't get a chance to mold that raw talent into timeless bodies of work

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
This is actually the only album of his that I can play from front to back, and I actually like the nikkas music. FNL wasn't even anything noteworthy to me, with the exception of a few tracks. FHD was pretty mediocre, and Born Sinner was pretty "okay."

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just cuz people you know aren't taking heed to the messages don't mean it didn't reach them. Mercy Me is one of Marvin Gaye's greatest and more well known songs. Don't mean nikkas didn't stop littering. I didn't like the direction of KOD initially, but after a couple of listens, it grew on me and became one of my favorite albums of the decade.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I always liked the album and what he was trying to do. Did he nail the execution? Mostly IMO. I dug that he used his platform to actually say something without being too preachy. I just found some of the beats to be lacking

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
Gtfoh, that weed plate wasn't even one of the most important albums from the weekend it dropped :mjlol: