KOD is among the most important albums of this generation

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
5 years later. Lil Pump. The rapper Cole tried to give game to. The rapper who was a prominent face of the perky zanny rap

Where is he now?

5 years later? Is Lil Pump still getting millions of views?

Cole tried to tell him
:yeshrug:

But I love to see a Black man get paid
And plus, you havin' fun and I respect that
But have you ever thought about your impact?
These white kids love that you don't give a fukk
'Cause that's exactly what's expected when your skin black
They wanna see you dab, they wanna see you pop a pill
They wanna see you tatted from your face to your heels
And somewhere deep down, fukk it, I gotta keep it real
They wanna be black and think your song is how it feels
So when you turn up, you see them turnin' up too
You hit the next city, collect your money when it's due
You gettin' that paper, swimmin' in bytches, I don't blame you
You ain't thinkin' 'bout the people that's lookin' like me and you
True, you got better shyt to do
You coulda bought a crib with all that bread that you done blew
I know you think this type of revenue is never endin'
But I wanna take a minute just to tell you that ain't true
One day, them kids that's listening gon' grow up
And get too old for that shyt that made you blow up
Now your show's lookin' light cause they don't show up
Which unfortunately means the money slow up
Now you scramblin' and hopin' to get hot again
But you forgot you only popped 'cause you was ridin' trends
Now you old news and you goin' through regrets
'Cause you never bought that house, but you got a Benz
And a bunch of jewels and a bunch of shoes
And a bunch of fake friends, I ain't judgin' you
I'm just tellin' you what's probably gon' happen when you rappin'
'Bout the type of shyt you rappin' 'bout
It's a faster route to the bottom
I wish you good luck

Thats the difference between the Lil Pumps and the Coles. The IMPACT. Cole's art will live forever

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
I like this album, and I like J. Cole…

But this shyt wasn’t even important to his discography let alone music itself. Stop
If you were blessed enough to talk to people in certain circles, you'd see the importance. Your listening satisfaction doesn't determine it's importance. Stop

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Agreed. Hell, seeing that clip of him playing the intro music to ATM while crying on stage at one of his concerts after learning that Mac Miller OD’d and died still gives me the chills to this day :wow:
That Be Free performance was legendary too.

Kendrick ain’t fukking with Cole man dude is propped up.

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
Cole artistically laid drug addiction, addiction to social media, alcohol, sex, and money

These vices are rampant in our society today and have been glorified in hip hop for years. Decades. He showed the reality of using these vices to cope and the better ways we can cope with the struggles life brings us

He gave the listener a look inside the mindset of an addict addicted to each of these vices. The most gripping and in depth was the song Once An Addict where he paints the picture of his mother being addicted to alcohol

He gives you her perspective and his perspective as he's caught in between wanting to help and wanting to escape the guilt of watching her fall to her vices. This leads to him smoking weed to cope and eventually "running" away from her problems. Leaving for college

FRIENDS is the penultimate track where he speaks to those struggling to cope with their demons and resorting to vices. The "meditate don't medicate" is seen as preachy but it's so important. Instead of coping through unhealthy vices, cope through meditation. As hard as that may be for alot of people, it's one of the best ways to battle your demons and truly find peace

That message is what needs to be broadcasted in hip hop today. On the last song Window Pain he shows you an in depth real life example of how falling to your vices can not only lead to your demise but to others as well. Permanently affecting those not even related to you

At the end the little girl gives her reason for why bad things like this happen in the world

Cole ends the album with her explanation and a voice saying "KOD, Choose Wisely"

Religion is controversial. He gave you this little girl's way of coping with the trauma of her cousin being shot. Meditation, therapy, and religion are three of the most healthy and positive ways to "kill our demons"

These three aren't the easiest to replace unhealthy coping mechanisms with. Especially for someone who's addicted to them. This is why throughout the album, there's a voice that says "Choose Wisely".

Instead of preaching about how drugs are bad and finding inner peace is good on the whole album, he displayed the addictions, why we use them, what happens when we fall into the cycle of relying on them, how we can affect other people through these vices, and how we can be better people and find happiness in spite of them

We all have our ways in coping with our trauma and hardships we face in life. He showed you the bad ways to cope and the good ways to cope

Choose Wisely

Honest music like this needs to be celebrated in hip hop especially since we've seen so many rappers themselves fall victim to their vices. I feel like alot of people heard the album after it came out but didn't really listen to what he was saying on it. In the years to come, KOD will eventually gets the appreciation it deserves

Edit: 2023
it only starting getting good for me towards the end.

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ONLY CASUALS THINK TECH IS A CAC RAPPER

TECH CAME OUT IN 96 AS A GANGSTA RAPPER

HIS FIRST ALBUM IS A CLASSIC

IF U NOT A HEAD LIKE THAT U PROLLY JUST KNOW HIM FOR THE COMMERCIAL SHIIT
Make a tech 9 thread then breh, that’s why you and ol boy came in here trying to prop up his album that wouldn’t get 1 page on here :mjlol:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES