KOD is among the most important albums of this generation

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I thought this was Cole's attempt at a Kendrick-style project. That's not an insult, but I feel like Cole definitely was influenced by DAMN when he made this.

It's been a while since I've heard it, but I enjoyed it when it came out and I thought it was a return to form for Cole after 4 Your Eyez Only.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I thought this was Cole's attempt at a Kendrick-style project. That's not an insult, but I feel like Cole definitely was influenced by DAMN when he made this.

It's been a while since I've heard it, but I enjoyed it when it came out and I thought it was a return to form for Cole after 4 Your Eyez Only.
Well Kendrick made TPAB based on a conversation he had with Cole. So all is fair.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Cole is one of my favorite rappers but this album showed us the ‘OG’ is dead. None of these young boys cared to even listen to Cole. Even Pump, Cole told him exactly what’s going to happen when his fans grow up and he doesn’t.

Should be one of the most important albums but unfortunately it’s not

Cole didn’t say anything enlightening.

Pump was only screaming “fukk J Cole” to troll for attention

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Cole didn’t say anything enlightening.

Pump was only screaming “fukk J Cole” to troll for attention
Cole was a 30+ year old college educated man with a family who had been in the industry for a decade telling a 20 year old drug addict with no real musical skills what was going to happen

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
He did but the music was booty. And this is coming from a stan
I can accept this even if I disagree. However at the time and to this day I found it very concerning that many review outlets trashed the album as preachy or bitter old man raps. The opioid crisis is real and hasn’t gotten any better. And in an era where most urban music is blatantly advocating drug use, Cole’s message should have been given more respect.

J. Cole: KOD
The reviewer calls it “moral panic” as if this isn’t one of the most important issues of our time. Do I think Cole is self righteous and way too literal, which hurts his art? Of course. But it’s really interesting what issues we as a society seem to be of utmost importance/value (like say...LGBTQ expression and freedom), and those we dismiss or ignore or hide in the shadows like drug addiction. BTW I’m not belittling LGBTQ. Just saying identity politics shouldn’t be the only thing we take seriously.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
This is the only album I agree with the trolls.

The only songs that stuck out were ATM and the record about his mother.

He didn't land the concept and prolly needed a producer to help him put a vision together

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
You spelled DAMN incorrectly....

K.Dot did it all with better tracks.
DAMN was an album about Kendrick's values, morality, and the human condition as a whole. LUST touched on the topic of vices that KOD did in a different way

DAMN, GKMC, Section .80 and TPAB are all essential albums in their own right and all are better albums than KOD. I'd argue TPAB and GKMC were the two most important of this generation. I'm just saying KOD is in the conversation just off the strength of it's message

NasirJr

★CAROLINAS FINEST★
Daps
Reppin
The NCarolina
I listened to that shyt once and the only thing that caught me was window pain. You can keep it