Kobe and Gigi Bryant Memorial Thread (RIP)

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really hate that it takes something as tragic as the passing of Kobe, his daughter, and everyone on the helicopter to come together. It took something like this for people to finally realize how petty these Stan Wars are. I really wish this didn't happen. It still doesn't feel real.
Stan wars I think have their place but it shouldn’t be the only discourse

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know it's been echoed multiple times in this thread, but I can't believe this happened. We all got to witness him in his prime in basketball. He gave so much to the game and to people in general, whether it be inspiration, an example of how to keep pushin', etc. No celebrity death has hit me like this one. I was looking forward to seein' him in about 6 yrs, in the crowd at the final four, watching Gigi win the national championship. What about when his daughters eventually wanna get married? He's not here to give them away. Just so much about this that makes me feel terrible.

This. Imagine if Kobe became a grandfather and one of his daughter get to have a son that Kobe always wanted but at least he got "grandson".

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

DUDE YOU NEED TO GET BACK ON TOPIC.

:devil:
:evil:

This is part of the topic. How long have I said you had a responsibility in here to tame the crap? Do you know how many heads didn't really appreciate Kobe or any of these athletes because of the dumb ass stan wars? And the second a dude criticizes it, you get all aggy and think it's an attack on basketball itself and bush stuff. We want better. Kobe's death is an eye opener to the mess that's always been there.

Clean it up instead of adding to it.

NYC Rebel

Daps
There's too much hate surrounding NBA players. Can't appreciate greatness because of "back in my day" warriors blaming today's players because how the game is legislated.

Enjoy what you're watching. Don't be some @god shamgod ass figga shrugging off Damon's 61. Yall are blessed watching these athletes man. NBA fan culture needs an overhaul.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This.

And this is why Nick Wright is fake as fukk. He's saying sorry about not appreciating Kobe, but doing the same shyt to Kawhi.
For Nick Wright to apologize now, he’s essentially saying that his takes weren’t authentic or genuine. That he had got so caught up in the battle that his side became more important than the facts. That’s trash.

It will always be unreal to me that these dudes get paid money for the same uneducated or ignorant takes that people are dropping here for free.

If you aren’t a fan of a player or if you think one player is better than another, that’s totally acceptable. That’s part of all of this and tragedy doesn’t change that. The people who booed Kobe and wanted him to lose when he played their home team don’t need to feel bad about it. He was the enemy on the other side. As long as you didn’t wish personal harm upon him, the debates and the battles were in bounds.

NYC Rebel

Daps
NBA is my favorite sport and the one I'm most knowledgeable about. But it's my least favorite sport to discuss on this forum. Most folks are too obsessed with being right or promoting an agenda. NFL and Baseball fans on here have more respect for their greats and legends. There isn't the obsession with the cross generational comparisons

NFL Fans will never make a topic like "Ryan Tannelhill is Better Than Terry Bradshaw" and let it go on for thousands of posts. But that started become the norm for NBA discussions, so I tapped out.
:to:

We lose good posters as a result of this dumb ass toxic nature.

smh

Legalese

Banned
Daps
this what I been saying! we off that hatin train in the 2020

Im done with it completely and mods need to ensure that posters stay in line on this site

make comments about a play, make comments about the game, but not about someone as a person. and like I said, I been guilty of it in the past with Lebron, but I'm done with it.
You right but its not realistic, 3-4 years from now fans will be tearing down KD as a person to prop up Kawhi, Giannis or whoever.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Even as someone who always had venom for Kobe stans dudes like Nick Wright and the Wages of Wins were always funny style to me. Nick Wright was doing Kobe exactly how Skip does LeBron but with an air of fake sincerity.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Kobe wasn’t my favorite player. I still have Bron over him. But I NEVER drew some line in the sand, standing on one side where I couldn’t appreciate him for who and what he doing in real time . I have VOLUMES In here calling him the most focused and hard working athlete I have EVER seen .

NBA culture is to not even give to “the other side.” Just trash. Outright trash. Plain garbage.

breh you've had a beef with the NBA for a minute now so it's clouding your judgement, but stanning goes on in all sports and across all avenues. Media coverage of the NBA isn't unique and people talk trash about players and teams across all sports. I'd actually say the NBA has the most cordial fanbase and discussions. Soccer has hooligans and people will get killed over their love for soccer. I remember the story from a couple years ago of the Dodger fan being killed in San Fran. I see videos regularly of fights breaking out in stands at football games. It's a problem everywhere, not just the NBA.

As for the way the NBA is discussed by the media, 10 - 15 years ago, MLB got the same treatment. Off season came around, and it was all about the big free agents, I mean there's a reason Scott Boras' name is even known. In soccer, you see the same heated debates about Messi & Ronaldo over the past 10 years. It's human nature to compare and contrast and Kobe's death won't stop that...it's apart of being a fan and caring about a player and team, you defend them like you personally know them.

In a couple of months, we'll be back to MJ vs Bron, Sony vs Microsoft, Nas vs Hov, Ali vs Tyson,and etc. :yeshrug:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
He was never hated like his biggest stans thought he was. He has been getting this treatment.

Pre-Colorado, the media was amazing to him but the players didn’t really seem to fukk with him.

From 2003-2008, he got his first hate from the media for the fallout with Shaq, Colorado, losing the 3-1 lead, demanding a trade etc., but his individual scoring peaked during that time and he was regularly celebrated for all of that. That was the only time when he was really polarizing.

From 2008-now, the players have been on his side and the media has treated him like a king.
Most of this is facts, but I don’t think it’s that the players didn’t fukk with him, but Kobe would isolate himself because he wanted to be great. T-Mac even said how he stayed at Kobe’s house and they would workout, but as Kobe started to ascend, he distanced himself from T-Mac because he knew McGrady would be his competition. In the beginning, I think it had more to do with his age hence why the vets didn’t really hang with him.

After Colorado when the media turned on him, thats when I truly started to respect Kobe more. He was no longer the media’s new MJ. He was creating his own legacy on the court with no Shaq. His interviews became better as well. He earned back his spot and became the face of the league, and really was the most popular
player until he retired.

NYC Rebel

Daps
breh you've had a beef with the NBA for a minute

See what I mean about DUMB shyt. You can spell it out and clowns like you will justify shytty NBA fan and media culture.

the second a dude criticizes it, you get all aggy and think it's an attack on basketball itself
YoU hAve bEeF wItH tHe NbA”
:camby:

fukk outta here.