Kinect: from integral part of the Xbox One experience to $40 clearance item

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The day VR takes over games I'm out.

Motion controls had Wii Sports. What is the definitive application that will convince the masses they need to be using VR? The tech has many useful applications but I just don't see gaming as one of them. I've never really pined to be inside a video game now. I prefer to experience them as I do now.
Act like Resident Evil 7 doesn't exist, brehs.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
You can't really do complex gameplay with a device like that. It was cool as a tech demo and novelty item for casual party games and the voice recognition / controls they strapped to it as well as the IR blaster were great but it always seemed like if they wanted that stuff could have been just added to the console with a mic instead of requiring a camera for voice commands

this pretty much. they could've put an inexpensive mic and ir blaster into the system and retained majority of their initial features they were touting
they had some interesting ideas for the Kinect but completely dropped the ball with the execution

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
VR likely will be the future of electronics, but I cant see it ever being the future of gaming, at least not in the near future. The games arent enjoyable and they arent close to being appealing to the masses.

VR has to overcome its own declining interest in gaming and then after jumping that, jump normal actual gaming to be what dude is saying.

Like PSVR is certainly on its way to being a flop, and as a Sony stan, it doesnt hurt me to say that. Sony makes its name in trying out new things per generation, and typically, they're gimmicks that dont ever truly hurt the brand. Disc-less portable gaming, 3D gaming, motion gaming, making smartphones portable consoles, et cetera et cetera. Its GOOD being experimental, it doesnt hurt to try shyt out unless it ends up backfiring like the Kincect.

If PSVR doesnt end up in the same recycling bins as PS Camera, I'd be SHOCKED

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
If it was ANYBODY other than Sony, this almost overall ignorance to the existence of PSVR might not immediately sink them, but much like the Vita, it doesnt matter if games is coming out for them now, you can tell you're going to be running into a brick wall sooner rather than later.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
People saying sony will abandon VR, but refuse to look at what is really going on.

1. This is not just some stand alone effort by Sony, like their previous products i.e. PS Vita

2. VR is comprised of Several companies pushing it and virtually all of them are using Dev Engine "unity" or UE4" and since the PS4 is x86 and nothing exotic, makes for easy ports(which is happening) since there have been a flurry of games in May/June/July and will continue to the end of the year.

3. If Sony was in this all by itself I would likely agree that the shelf life is questionable, but that is not the case.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
If it was ANYBODY other than Sony, this almost overall ignorance to the existence of PSVR might not immediately sink them, but much like the Vita, it doesnt matter if games is coming out for them now, you can tell you're going to be running into a brick wall sooner rather than later.

People saying sony will abandon VR, but refuse to look at what is really going on.

1. This is not just some stand alone effort by Sony, like their previous products i.e. PS Vita

2. VR is comprised of Several companies pushing it and virtually all of them are using Dev Engine "unity" or UE4" and since the PS4 is x86 and nothing exotic, makes for easy ports(which is happening) since there have been a flurry of games in May/June/July and will continue to the end of the year.

3. If Sony was in this all by itself I would likely agree that the shelf life is questionable, but that is not the case.

Sony abandons all gaming peripherals and anything thats not the Home Console.

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-One...29717651971360446795&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

It is insane the amount of damage this thing ultimately did to the Xbox brand. Now they're practically giving them away. Hell people without the first revision of the console can't even use the device without buying the AC power cable because they dropped the port from the consoles.

If we're being honest here the damn thing was always trash. You can't really do complex gameplay with a device like that. It was cool as a tech demo and novelty item for casual party games and the voice recognition / controls they strapped to it as well as the IR blaster were great but it always seemed like if they wanted that stuff could have been just added to the console with a mic instead of requiring a camera for voice commands.

This has to be one of the highest profile failures in gaming. The Kinect doomed the Xbox One to a distant second place finish and the price they paid was meaningless. They traded market share for nothing and in the end they abandoned it. It made their hardware weaker and drove up the price, created this inferior narrative. Later they cut the price of the console aggressively and gave away games left and right to try and right the ship. The amount of money (especially potential profits) they lost on the Kinect has to be pretty large.

Meanwhile the PlayStation Camera did zero damage to the PS4.
How often did you use your Kinect or are you basing its effectiveness on internet forum replies?

To the people who want advanced technology, we been loving Kinect. I use it daily, til this day.

The technology has been adopted by other mediums to so Kinect was a success. What Kinect brought to the table, future products will include the tech. This is fact, and these advances will assist mankind. It's already used in hospitals worldwide, in the pc space they are going full retard with it.

Lets not forget how it enhances other technologies like AR/VR when combined.

Now if you're bummed that more games didn't come from Kinect? Blame yourselves. They was ready to give it to us, you acted like you couldn't be bothered. And you been a Kinect hater since the days of the Wii so you will miss the bigger picture anyway. You don't use Cortana either, you'd be surprised at What you can do TODAY with Kinect.

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
Xbox really thought they were going to ride that Wii wave and forced everyone to buy a piece of shyt peripheral

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Sony abandons all gaming peripherals and anything thats not the Home Console.
Let's see if your statement holds weight.

Gaming Peripherals? How many gaming peripherals have they produced.

PSP is a Portable Gaming Device 82 million units, launched in 2005, out of production 2014
PSVita is a Portable Gaming Device 12 million units, launched in 2011 still in production.

Peripheral
Playstation Eye Toy October 2003 for the PS2 games made for it til 2008 over 100 games
Playstation Eye October 2007 for the PS3 games made for it til 2012 over 80 games
Playstation MOVE Sept. 2010 to 2013 for the PS3 games made for it on the PS3 over 125 games
Playstation MOVE now a PSVR peripheral and seeing even more support.

So which Peripheral did sony abandon? This is a internet talking point, that I'm trying to understand.

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
VR is here to stay and the possibilities are endless. VR is a niche product but that's to be expected as it's a costly separate purchase and it's not meant to replace TV and isn't remotely comparable.

Go try a Rift with the touch controllers and come back and tell me that's not a big deal. It's still a way off from total mainstream but yeah. I've been using my VR headset a lot lately as there's been a lot of games coming out this past few months.

This is the only reason vr isnt going to take off...ive played it also and the shyt is fiya but not 400 fiya...i hope in the future they can get it doen to about 150 and i dont see why it wouldnt blow through the roof