Kids On The Internet Are Wishing They Were Born In The '90s

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
90s is the best decade. I don't know of anyone born in the 90s who wishes they were born in the 80s or 70s :scusthov:

You crazy. Everybody know the 70s-90s were the GOAT years and I wasn't born till 1990.:dahell:

So many GOATs during that era. Ali, Tyson, Eddie Murphy, MJ, Hakeem, Richard Pryor, Prince, etc. Etc.

If you were born 1960-1990 you were born during the GOAT Era.

ShenJingPoQi

All Star
Daps
There was definitely more characters and unique indivudals in the 90s as compared to today. People, Tv, Movies and music were more creative, colourful and awe inspiring than the trash produced today,

Imagine those summer nights in Long Beach or Harlem in the 90s, :banderas:

Sly Cooper

dem bilaa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ET/ER
80s babies yall still in here :mjtf:

These are 00s babies who grew up hearing 90s babies brag about having the best of both worlds (which is facts)
Yall birdboxing it in here, but they didn't say the 80s for a reason :flabbynsick:
And for the love of God if you were born in the 80s, you're an 80s baby/90s kid, stop claiming us :birdman:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This thread is retarded for the simple fact that everyone is trying to discredit the people who were born in the 90s. Someone in this thread said people born in the 90s wasn't watching family matters like bytch what :deadmanny: 90s and early 2000s was prime rerun era for television before the internet took over. I can vividly remember being like 9 years old watching family matters, living single, fresh Prince, the Parkers, girlfriends
Wayne brothers, Martin, etc. Like I know all of these series had their own run at different years but they were all essential to that era where regular t.v. was watched a lot

Like if you were born in the 90s and your parents exposed you to the shyt they liked than you were experiencing the moments. I don't know this goofy ass rules you guys coming up with... this shyt reminds me of how the coli was tryna say no black person rocked with Eminem back in the day.. like no mother fukkers my little 6 year old self remember that Eminem cd on the shelf. I remember a lot of black people fukking with him :ufdup:

And yeah I was born after Tupac death but the thing is everyone still bumped every Pac album faithfully in the 90s so even If you were born after his death u still grew up in your child and teenager years listening to his music and watching movies like juice.

We are the same as all of u.. we are the last of you before this idk shyt generation was born. This generation has access to every album, movie, and video game that we could ever imagine and yet they don't care or know about anything before them :bryan::huhldup:

The only upper hand you old heads have on us is sports tbh. Like most children don't really give a fukk about sports like that.. like I say 13 or 14 is when you really get into watching NBA or NFL faithfully and you and all your friends talk shyt at the lunch table :whew::ohlawd:.... in that case I did miss :mjpls: run..

You wasn't watching no Girlfriends in the 90s; it wasnt around lmao...

You really wasn't watching The Parkers either, it barely made the 90s and the era it really belongs to is early-00s TV. Nobody old enough to remember considers The Parkers a 90s show...

But then you said you were born after Pac died, so honestly bro, that disqualifies everything else you had to say. Like you were born AFTER September '96, which means at the OLDEST you were 3 and change on the last day of the 90s...

You trying to spin doctor yourself as a 90s kid but the shoe doesn't fit, playa...

Only thing you said that means something is your relatives can expose you to shyt they like, which is true of any era. My mom exposed me to Michael Jackson, and I'm talking the realest era of Mike, which is Off The Wall-Thriller-Bad versions of Mike that I wasn't around for, but I'm not an 80s baby even being born in the 80s...

At the oldest you were 13 on the last day of the 00s lol, you a '10s kid. Yall nikkas need to claim yall era, because there IS a generational gap, and in 4-5 years its gonna be all the nikkas YOUR age wishing it was 2017 again lmao...

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
A lot of 90’s nostalgia is in retrospect, shyt wasn’t appreciate till later. Back then there was a lot of 70’s nostalgia, hell a whole music genre (Neo-Soul) sprouted out of that. Will forever be my favorite era tho.

Now what throws me off is 00’s nostalgia lol. Those were my coming of age years(graduated high school, running the streets, first child was born, joined the military, etc), and I can tell you a lot of that shyt wasn’t nothing to rave about.

Fashion wise one of the WOAT eras, if not the WOAT.

Two major negative events (9/11 and the recession) and 2 simultaneous wars.

Gentrification started turning up.

10’s babies got better cartoons IMO.

Music was in a weird place, honestly don’t know what to make of it in retrospect lol.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
80s babies yall still in here :mjtf:

These are 00s babies who grew up hearing 90s babies brag about having the best of both worlds (which is facts)
Yall birdboxing it in here, but they didn't say the 80s for a reason :flabbynsick:
And for the love of God if you were born in the 80s, you're an 80s baby/90s kid, stop claiming us :birdman:
:mjlol:

Being a kid in the 90's probably was pretty cool, but you know what was better than being a kid in the 90's? Being a young teen in the 90's, literally everything you got to do as a kid we got to do as a teen we got to experience along with the freedom of being like a few years older.

Being around and being active in the 90's is a whole different experience than being born in 1992 and being 10 in 2002, being 10 in 2002 compared to being like 17 in 2002 is a completely different experience. Yall got to experience somethings but for the most part its still second hand stories from 80's babies and even some late 70's babies that had a great time.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of 90’s nostalgia is in retrospect, shyt wasn’t appreciate till later. Back then there was a lot of 70’s nostalgia, hell a whole music genre (Neo-Soul) sprouted out of that. Will forever be my favorite era tho.

Now what throws me off is 00’s nostalgia lol. Those were my coming of age years(graduated high school, running the streets, first child was born, joined the military, etc), and I can tell you a lot of that shyt wasn’t nothing to rave about.

Music was in a weird place, honestly don’t know what to make of it in retrospect lol.

I don't recall any 70's nostalgia, out side of people saying how much cheaper things were, and a couple artist, no body really big up the 70's infact most of my family complained about how racist things were then. My older family and there friends still randomly talk about the 90's.

It makes sense though because the 90's was a rally big shift in human culture over all.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

I'll take that argument for the 2000s lol...

You'll remember, at that time we didn't view that fashion as WOAT. I agree completely, in retrospect, I can't think of an era with worse fashion---->10s/90s/80s/70s/60s etc, every era had better fashion, but nobody thought this at the time...

Getting belt buckles with your name on it was a status symbol. So was airbrushed tees and sneakers. The baggy clothing, shyt we clowned cats with clothes that wasn't baggy...

So while I'd never dress like that again, I have an appreciation for growing up in the midst where everyone dressed like that...

I also agree that during the era, I wasn't feeling like it was some legendary era, but on retrospect, the music was underrated. The biggest flaw about 00s hip hop is ringtone rap, but that only lasted maybe 06-08, and when southern rap completely took over but wasn't matured to what it is now, everybody spammed that sound and the quality of music hit a low bar...

But again we're talking late 00s here...

When you think of the peak of a number of legendary artists from Beyonce to Kanye, Common dropped his best album in the 00s, we saw Wayne turn from a mascot into a bonafide legend, the rise of Fif, Alicia Keys greatness...

We had 106&Park, the OG 106 with AJ and Free that was must watch for anybody black, the OG TRL with LaLa Vasquez before she was LaLa Anthony, we still had BET when it was really promoting black music and causes instead of reality shows and movies....

We still played outside, video games were popping but not the thing they are today. We didn't have music on phones and before the late 00s most of us didn't have phones at all, still had CD players and stereos...

Think of the seminal black shows like Girlfriends, The Parkers, One On One, Bernie Mac Show, etc. That was our era...

The movies like Bad Boys II, Training Day, etc...

And the overall vibe of remembering when we still didn't communicate like this. Remembering how unplugged we were...

I could go on but 00s gets underrated, probably especially by guys and girls our age, who shyt on that era in retrospect, but the tides are turning. We're a decade removed from it, and more than a decade removed from the best parts if it, and I HAVE noticed appreciation for that era going up as time removed us from it...

So nah, it wasn't the best thing living in the moment, but I miss plenty of shyt about it. 2004 and 2005 were amazing years too, but pretty much like older cats in here says the 90s was really 90-96, the 00s was mostly 00-05. 06-08 you had that WOAT ringtone phase and BET transitioned into something worse, and '09 was better and transitioning into this decade...

About the 90s too, I agree with you, nobody back then was running around claiming how awesome the 90s were lol. That started retroactively, around the early 00s and was in full force by 05-06, all the 90s appreciation...but it's like that with every era...

To reference my stepmom again, she says she understands why so many people appreciate the 80s now, and in retrospect she can appreciate being part of it. But actually living in the 80s was different, old heads called their music trash, AIDS exploded and everyone was afraid everyone had it, the 80s is the All-Time most violent and dangerous era in the US in the 20th century (followed by the 20s), and living around and/or hearing just the crazy amount of killings and drugs was a different reality at the time....

So all these appreciations get applied moreso retroactively. And I do put the 00s behind the 90s and 80s, but it is underrated and cats will start appreciating it more very soon...

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
97 was a bad year, breh.

It was a super weird time in our culture.

The money started flowing into hip hop like crazy, but the art form began to suffer greatly for the 1st time.

Big and Pac had both just passed, the "shiny suit" era started, Jay and Wu both dropped subpar albums compared to their 1st projects..

Life After Death introduced the "make an album with a song for every subgenre in hip hop" phase, instead of staying true to your artistry and fans.

It's when hip hop first separated into "mainstream" and "underground."

This was the beginning of the time where the 90s started becoming almost a parody of itself.

Your way off breh, even though "some" of what your saying had validity.

But 97 was the changing of the guard of everything before then

From 90-96
You had the rise of death row
The rise of bad boy
The rise of east coast rap
The peak of westcoasr gangsta rap

With r&b you saw the end of luther
Peak of swv
Rise of Mary j
The start of toni Braxton
Rise of mariah carey
The peak of whitney Houston
Peak boys to men
Peak en vogue

Fashion wise
Tommy hill
Gap
Cross colors
Jordan

97 was the year that switched ALL that

Biggie delivered a GOAT album right after he died
Then Puff daddy the family album drop
And then Mase dropped a landmark album with Harlem world. Diddy along with lik kim put badboy on their back and established themselves as a force

We also started to see a shift from west coast rap to east coast dominated since pac's death triggered the fall of death row

BUT ALSO master P's ghetto dope made everyone take notice of the south, which had a major impact of hiphop.

Dont forget the birth of cannabis an big pun golden the age of lyricist was just kicking off

97 was the start of the party/floss/big willie style era when we all just wanted to have a good time

R&b wise
The passing of the torch from boys to men to dru hill
The rise of usher
The start of erica badu and neo soul
The rise of 112
The rise of missy
The birth of destiny's child
Mariah ditching the girl next door image to sex symbol
New edition reunion album after almost ten years
The reign of toni braxton

This is what 97 gave us

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'll take that argument for the 2000s lol...

You'll remember, at that time we didn't view that fashion as WOAT. I agree completely, in retrospect, I can't think of an era with worse fashion---->10s/90s/80s/70s/60s etc, every era had better fashion, but nobody thought this at the time...

Getting belt buckles with your name on it was a status symbol. So was airbrushed tees and sneakers. The baggy clothing, shyt we clowned cats with clothes that wasn't baggy...

So while I'd never dress like that again, I have an appreciation for growing up in the midst where everyone dressed like that...

I also agree that during the era, I wasn't feeling like it was some legendary era, but on retrospect, the music was underrated. The biggest flaw about 00s hip hop is ringtone rap, but that only lasted maybe 06-08, and when southern rap completely took over but wasn't matured to what it is now, everybody spammed that sound and the quality of music hit a low bar...

But again we're talking late 00s here...

When you think of the peak of a number of legendary artists from Beyonce to Kanye, Common dropped his best album in the 00s, we saw Wayne turn from a mascot into a bonafide legend, the rise of Fif, Alicia Keys greatness...

We had 106&Park, the OG 106 with AJ and Free that was must watch for anybody black, the OG TRL with LaLa Vasquez before she was LaLa Anthony, we still had BET when it was really promoting black music and causes instead of reality shows and movies....

We still played outside, video games were popping but not the thing they are today. We didn't have music on phones and before the late 00s most of us didn't have phones at all, still had CD players and stereos...

Think of the seminal black shows like Girlfriends, The Parkers, One On One, Bernie Mac Show, etc. That was our era...

The movies like Bad Boys II, Training Day, etc...

And the overall vibe of remembering when we still didn't communicate like this. Remembering how unplugged we were...

I could go on but 00s gets underrated, probably especially by guys and girls our age, who shyt on that era in retrospect, but the tides are turning. We're a decade removed from it, and more than a decade removed from the best parts if it, and I HAVE noticed appreciation for that era going up as time removed us from it...

So nah, it wasn't the best thing living in the moment, but I miss plenty of shyt about it. 2004 and 2005 were amazing years too, but pretty much like older cats in here says the 90s was really 90-96, the 00s was mostly 00-05. 06-08 you had that WOAT ringtone phase and BET transitioned into something worse, and '09 was better and transitioning into this decade...

About the 90s too, I agree with you, nobody back then was running around claiming how awesome the 90s were lol. That started retroactively, around the early 00s and was in full force by 05-06, all the 90s appreciation...but it's like that with every era...

To reference my stepmom again, she says she understands why so many people appreciate the 80s now, and in retrospect she can appreciate being part of it. But actually living in the 80s was different, old heads called their music trash, AIDS exploded and everyone was afraid everyone had it, the 80s is the All-Time most violent and dangerous era in the US in the 20th century (followed by the 20s), and living around and/or hearing just the crazy amount of killings and drugs was a different reality at the time....

So all these appreciations get applied moreso retroactively. And I do put the 00s behind the 90s and 80s, but it is underrated and cats will start appreciating it more very soon...

I also think that from 2000-2004 was goat times I low-key kind of lump it with the 90's.

It was a hard fall off after that though

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
:mjlol:

Being a kid in the 90's probably was pretty cool, but you know what was better than being a kid in the 90's? Being a young teen in the 90's, literally everything you got to do as a kid we got to do as a teen we got to experience along with the freedom of being like a few years older.

Being around and being active in the 90's is a whole different experience than being born in 1992 and being 10 in 2002, being 10 in 2002 compared to being like 17 in 2002 is a completely different experience. Yall got to experience somethings but for the most part its still second hand stories from 80's babies and even some late 70's babies that had a great time.

This 100 and cats are so brainwashed to pump fake they don't even realize it...

Like come on g, nikkas were literal children in the 90s and talking about how great it was. Bro it was cool, but if I was 16 in '95 instead of 6, that entire era would feel different to me...

And there's nikkas in here younger than me talking about how awesome it was to be a kid lol....I don't know about these guys, but life got better and more exciting when I learned how to drive, started fukking, and could venture out and create my own experiences rather than living in experiences mostly created for me, which is what parents/guardians are supposed to do for they kids...

I don't know what kinda alternate reality nikkas living in, other than nikkas been brainwashed to put down everything after the 90s even though they grew up after the 90s hahahahaha...

Just to further go on your example, I turned 10 in '99, turned 17 in '06. The experience factor is night and day...granted, I got locked up 3 days after my 17th birthday (6/7/06), so I missed my entire late teens due to incarceration, so age 17 wasn't that great for me, but just living life before that and the EXPERIENCE of living as a 16-17 year old compared to a 10 year old? It's only better if you shirk responsibility and wish you still had people taking care if you like you did when you were 10 lmao...

I don't recall any 70's nostalgia, out side of people saying how much cheaper things were, and a couple artist, no body really big up the 70's infact most of my family complained about how racist things were then. My older family and there friends still randomly talk about the 90's.

It makes sense though because the 90's was a rally big shift in human culture over all.

I don't agree with this, people old enough to remember the 70s generally speak really highly of it! The problem is just like in this thread, like we have nikkas born in the 90s tryna speak for the 90s, you have nikkas born in the 70s doing most of the talking about the 70s, but when I've been around people who were adults in the 70s, they tend to have positive remembrances if that era ..

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I also think that from 2000-2004 was goat times I low-key kind of lump it with the 90's.

It was a hard fall off after that though

I agree except I don't lump the early 00s with the 90s, cats use that as a cop out to shyt on the 00s lol...

2000-2004 was the 2000s, I ain't letting nobody take that from us in this imaginary war lmao...

I will say this, though. To your point, life is never linear, there is a transition phase from one era to the next, there always is. You can blur the lines and find parallels between the late 70s and early 80s, late 80s and early 90s, etc...

Life doesnt completely flip upside down when it turns January 1st of a new decade...

So to that point, I 100% would agree there are parallels between the late 90s and early 00s. '99 and '00 aren't all that different, same as '09 and '10, same will be true of '19 and '20, always been true...

Eras aren't really defined by the transition years, though. If cats really want to know the atmosphere and essence of an era, go to the middle years...

It's all of the era, all ten years, but the mid-80s is when the 80s was really the 80s, not 70s-lite, not almost 90s...the mid-2010s is what really defines this era, not the early years that were 00s lite or this year which is gonna be largely indistinguishable from 2020 and 2021...

So to that extent, you get no disagreement from me...

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps

Depends on experiences I guess.
:yeshrug:

I just remember hearing a helluva a lot more complaints about the 80’s than the 70’s. Music, life, everything.

And on the topic of music, coming out of the heavily synthesized 80’s damn near every early 90’s group were trying to prove that their generation could actually sing, doing acapella’s, harmonies, etc. like the 60’s/70’s groups. Someone touched on how much hip hop sampling drew from 60’s and 70’s music back then. Like I mentioned before, Neo-Soul came about on the premise that it was time to bring Soul back...sampling/beat machines vs. musicians/bands.

Lauren Hill rocking the fro with the Fugees. Lady of Rage’s whole look was a throwback. Camp Lo’s whole image and content. Snoop stayed with the 70’s nostalgia and references. En Vogue’s whole sound and image was a 60’s/70’s throwback. Crooklyn and Dead Presidents came out the same year if I remember right. I could go on.

I’m not saying everybody was on it but it was definitely there

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
The 90's we were explorers, adventure because
We didn't have
Cell phones
Fast internet
Face time
Uber or lyft

So when we wanted to so do something we really had to get out there and make it happen

We were less sensitive
The passive aggressive sh#t was dead

We were more engage with our surrounding but less global