Kids On The Internet Are Wishing They Were Born In The '90s

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
Kids today will never know this pain....

source.gif

:mjcry:

They'll never know the pain of having your favorite mixtape getting eaten up in the tape deck.:mjcry:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
This.

Id even say til 1997.

1998 and 1999 were culturally the WORST years of the 90s. Even though they were memorable as hell because I was a teenager then.

97 was a bad year, breh.

It was a super weird time in our culture.

The money started flowing into hip hop like crazy, but the art form began to suffer greatly for the 1st time.

Big and Pac had both just passed, the "shiny suit" era started, Jay and Wu both dropped subpar albums compared to their 1st projects..

Life After Death introduced the "make an album with a song for every subgenre in hip hop" phase, instead of staying true to your artistry and fans.

It's when hip hop first separated into "mainstream" and "underground."

This was the beginning of the time where the 90s started becoming almost a parody of itself.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
If you were born in the 90s you missed the 90s.

00s was trash.

00s was dope but again I think we have two different kinds of generational biases...

I came of age in the 00s, whereas you were already a grown man in the 00s. 00s shaped me and I loved it so I'm partial to it...

Lotta people flex on the 00s, and by 00s I specifically mean 2000-2009------>00s is the only era where cats try to lump that decade with another one (nikkas lump 00s and 10s together), even though we can go from music to fashion to literally anything to point out the differences in the eras...

nikkas shyt on the 00s, but the 00s really the last generation that grew up without social media, if you were a teenager or in high school before '05 particularly...

The iPhone didn't come out until '07. It wasn't until very late in the decade that cats had phones with the ability to act like computers. Because I "grew up" in the 00s, I may have a different perspective than brothers like yourself who are older than me...

I remember when people didn't have cell phones or computers at home. I remember the first kid I ever knew who even had a cell phone was my 8th grade year, the 2002-03 school year, and she was the only kid in school with one. My last year in school was my junior year, 2005-06. I knew maybe 15-20 kids with cell phones, they wasn't like everybody had em. That was the first year (2005) I heard of MySpace and Facebook, and knew probably 15 kids with accounts, they were all girls--->not to mention in 05/06 MySpace and Facebook were primitive compared to what they are today, don't even function the same way...

YouTube didn't really take off into becoming a thing until the late 00s...

So just using this example, keep in mind I was 16 when I first even heard of social media and at 16 I knew maybe 20 kids my age with cell phones---->using this example illustrates how people of my age grew up before social media. Now we were the first generation really influenced by it too, but if you were born before '92 or earlier, you didn't grow up with social media and computers everywhere...

I could get into all the music and movements, 00s wasn't trash if you were growing up in it, particularly the early decade (2004-05 though are GOAT-level years). But I can certainly understand how someone who was already a full grown adult thinks it was trash!

And yes, there are young kids now who specifically cite the 00s and trends and movements, its legacy is rising now that we are almost a full decade removed from the last day, of the last year, of that decade (2009)...

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Being born in the 90s would mean they were only 10 when it ended. The way they be
talking they wanted to be around for the music, movies, tv shows etc most of which would be to young
to remember as a 5 year old (example)
That's easy as hell...

Hell I can easily remember being 3 playing Street Fighter 2 on SNES....

Yall got some shytty ass memory if you can't remember shyt from 5-10

:picard:

90s childhood was like no other

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Kids on the internet are stupid.

In order to have enjoyed the 90's, they would have had to have been born in the 80's or 70's.

why do they wish they were BORN in the 90s?

i was born just before the 90s and i don't remember much of the decade :yeshrug:maybe 2-3 years.

the one dude wishing he was born mid 90s would have pretty much no memories :beli:

they should be wishing they were born 1970-1985. those people got to enjoy the 90s in their youth

i think people just wish for a time that wasn't so connected to the web constantly, but they are on the web to be able to post this stuff. they could just log off.

Thanks for keeping it 100, sister...

Even the cats in this thread who were born in the 90s, and have memories of the 90s, even them identifying as 90s babies is awkward lmao. Like okay, so in the 90s you were single digits in age, couldn't dress yourself or take care of yourself, wasn't having sex and most likely not doing anything of significance, consensually, with learning how to relate with the opposite gender, couldn't drive, on and on and on...

This shyt is an LOL Show. There's a difference between being born in a decade, and being OF a decade...

nikkas are NOT 90s babies if they were born in the 90s, you are just someone born in the 90s....however you can speak on memories...

I was born June '89. On 12/31/1999, I remember staying up late to see if the world would end, but on the last day of the 90s, I was 10 years old lol...

I'm not a 90s baby hahaha...

To keep it all the way funky, one of the main reasons the 90s, at least 90-96, had such a cool vibe was due to the fact that we looked at the 70s the same way that youngins look at the 90s today.

The 20-30 year olds running the music/fashion scene in the 90s all was kids in the 70s and they bought that vibe to our music/culture.

We idolized the characters in all the 70s movies, The Mack, Superfly, Foxy Brown, Dolemite, Chinese Flicks, etc.

Most of the dope hip hop/R&B music on all coasts sampled 70s music, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Bob James, Ohio Players, Roy Ayers, etc.

The Dead Presidents movie/soundtrack....

shyt, there was even a short time where chicks wearing bell bottoms came back in style for a minute.

I remember the bell bottoms thing in the late 90s!

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Another thing to remember is that shyt was in heavy rotation...

For example All those 90-92 nick kids shows stayed in rotation for a long ass time....You could be a 4 year old in 1997 and still be seeing those classic Doug episodes airing on nick cause their rotation was long as hell....you didn't have to be at the exact year shyt came out to experience the freshness, just the relative time frame. That would be like saying a nikka who listening to To Pimp a Butterfly missed it if he hearing it now compared to 4-5 years ago...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I was 5 in 1989.
:yeshrug:
I dont remember the 80s. But i enjoy the aesthetics in retrospect and the music.

Thanks for keeping it 100, g!

I obviously have no recollection of the 80s, being born in '89...

Even the 90s, bro my earliest couple memories are from '93, when I was 4. And there's only a handful from 4-5, so the entire early part of the decade, 1990-92, I don't remember shyt...

How can I call myself a 90s baby lol..

My memory doesn't take off in a big way, to having more than just a handful of memories, until the late 90s. But I'm a 90s baby?

Get this too, I was in LA in the mid/late 90s, and I don't remember anything about 2Pac. Like his face and his name are memorable, but I don't actually remember when he died, and this was a kid at the time growing up in LA. The only videos I can remember seeing while he was alive are Keep Ya Head Up and To Live & Die In LA, but you know memory is an interesting thing----->I can remember seeing those videos around the time i was 5 or 6, but they didn't register to me or have any significance to me, know what i mean? Mostly because at 5-6 I was concerned with more child-centered things than superstar rappers, so I remember his name and his face vaguely, but he was a nobody to me at that age...

I remember the hype around Bad Boys vaguely, but I didn't get to go see it, so it's not something I actually watched or experienced until I was older...

I'm getting long-winded but in a nutshell I agree with you. I don't remember a day in the 80s, most of my 90s memory is late 90s, and at any rate it's not like I could care for myself in the 90s, I was a kid...

I seem to be the only person my age group unafraid to claim the 2000s. Bit I loved it, grew up in it and it shaped me and i have no problem saying it. I really don't understand why so many people in my age group belittle the 00s and try to align with an era they hardly remember, and/or were only functional to experience as children....life's education after your prepubescent years is when life truly begins...

That girl Is a 90's baby.
She is also a 00's Kid.

You are an "80" s Baby and a "90"'s kid.

Nah!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
That's easy as hell...

Hell I can easily remember being 3 playing Street Fighter 2 on SNES....

Yall got some shytty ass memory if you can't remember shyt from 5-10

:picard:

90s childhood was like no other

Probably others like myself, just a guess, had something of a traumatic childhood. Scientifically trauma leads to memory blocks, this has been proven in studies...

So just for myself, I ain't responsible for my memory lol...

But what I can remember, to me the 90s are overrated, but again you have to consider my age at the time. Best things of the 90s, for me, was watching Ppwer Rangers and those Saturday cartoon blocks, watching Family Matters and those other TGIF shows, watching reruns of The Wonder Years and Growing Pains...

Listening to TLC and the Waterfalls video, Coolio, Aaliyah, Will Smith (the Gettin Jiggy Wit It and Willenium albums as well as Fresh Prince, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, etc)...

All the black shows like In The House and Mr. Cooper...

Sega Genesis...

Bit I have parallel experiences for all these things in the 00s, and I was OLDER when experiencing these parallels in the 00s so I could enjoy and appreciate then more...

90s was cool. Definitely overrated especially by people my age who were also kids in the 90s...

The 80s is the era I really wish I could go and be old enough to really live it (teenage/young adult). Besides hip hop, damn near everything else about the 80s is GOAT status!

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
This thread is retarded for the simple fact that everyone is trying to discredit the people who were born in the 90s. Someone in this thread said people born in the 90s wasn't watching family matters like bytch what :deadmanny: 90s and early 2000s was prime rerun era for television before the internet took over. I can vividly remember being like 9 years old watching family matters, living single, fresh Prince, the Parkers, girlfriends
Wayne brothers, Martin, etc. Like I know all of these series had their own run at different years but they were all essential to that era where regular t.v. was watched a lot

Like if you were born in the 90s and your parents exposed you to the shyt they liked than you were experiencing the moments. I don't know this goofy ass rules you guys coming up with... this shyt reminds me of how the coli was tryna say no black person rocked with Eminem back in the day.. like no mother fukkers my little 6 year old self remember that Eminem cd on the shelf. I remember a lot of black people fukking with him :ufdup:

And yeah I was born after Tupac death but the thing is everyone still bumped every Pac album faithfully in the 90s so even If you were born after his death u still grew up in your child and teenager years listening to his music and watching movies like juice.

We are the same as all of u.. we are the last of you before this idk shyt generation was born. This generation has access to every album, movie, and video game that we could ever imagine and yet they don't care or know about anything before them :bryan::huhldup:

The only upper hand you old heads have on us is sports tbh. Like most children don't really give a fukk about sports like that.. like I say 13 or 14 is when you really get into watching NBA or NFL faithfully and you and all your friends talk shyt at the lunch table :whew::ohlawd:.... in that case I did miss :mjpls: run..

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
And I can argue being born in the 90s is the best era. We enjoyed your culture and experienced our own while growing up with technology watching it what it's become today