Kids On The Internet Are Wishing They Were Born In The '90s

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
If you were born in the 90's then your childhood is really in the 2000's. At best your were in kindergarten when PAC died. At worst you were 2 during 9/11. 50cent and lil Wayne were running hip-hop during your adolescence.

Born in ‘92. Half of my childhood was spent in the 90’s (‘96 to ‘99), while the other half was spent in the 00’s (‘00 to ‘04). I officially became a teen (13 y/o) in ‘05 and came of age (17 y/o) in ‘09. Pac died literally a few weeks before I turned 4 and I was in 4th grade when 9/11 went down and wouldn’t turn 9 years old til later that month. I have vague memories of 9/11 itself but it’s plenty of people my age who remember that day as clear as day. I do remember the very immediate aftermath tho with me being able to stay home from school for a few days without knowing what was really going on, hardly any planes in the sky, American flags all over the place, and I do remember the anthrax attacks a lil bit as well.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
They would hate it. No Internet, no smartphones. No IG and no p*hub
I didn't even get my first cellphone until I was 17 and had a job.

Sometimes I forget that we lived a while without that shyt and I'm glad I did. Even though I'm indulgent in my phone, these kids can't even live without the shyt.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Also, another thing about the 90s, I remember being 14/15 and being able to get into places I really shouldn't of been with friends like raves filled with drugs and clubs with alcohol and drugs...also parties in high school back then was crazy. Like WTF? I remember being at a crazy Y2k party...lol.

I was collecting records in the 90s to, well, started to anyways. And I was beginning to learn how to DJ. shyt was fun. I loved it. I spent my late teens and early to mid 20s in the 2000s. And my late 20s to early to mid 30s in this decade.

The thing thats the most cool about being born in 84 is that we lived through and remembered the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st. That's pretty damn neat.

ManxOfxThexYear

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My muthafukkin self
Also, another thing about the 90s, I remember being 14/15 and being able to get into places I really shouldn't of been with friends like raves filled with drugs and clubs with alcohol and drugs...also parties in high school back then was crazy. Like WTF? I remember being at a crazy Y2k party...lol.

I was collecting records in the 90s to, well, started to anyways. And I was beginning to learn how to DJ. shyt was fun. I loved it. I spent my late teens and early to mid 20s in the 2000s. And my late 20s to early to mid 30s in this decade.

The thing thats the most cool about being born in 84 is that we lived through and remembered the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st. That's pretty damn neat.

Breh I was in bars as a kid. I was getting hooked up with sprite and hella cherries while my parents were getting drunk every weekend.

:russ:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Funny and ironic...

Last week was at work and got sucked into a round table when a girl told me she was a '90s baby, and I asked her what year she was born in...

She was born in 1998....................................

I told her she wasn't a '90s baby, and a bunch of people came to her defense. She was offended and kept saying "I'm a baby who was born in the 90s". So I tried to reason with her first, by telling her that since I was born in '89, does that make me a '80s baby?

She said yes...................

I disagreed and gave her several reasons why, but the most important one being I don't have a memory of anything in the 80s. So I was a baby born in the 80s, but I'm not an 80s baby, because I didn't actually experience the 80s; I have other reasons to support myself...

She says I'm an 80s baby, got mad I told her she ain't a 90s baby, and told me to call myself whatever. She said "im a 90s baby, I watched Hey Arnold"....I told her Hey Arnold is older than her and people started laughing, but my point to her was she wasn't old enough to remember watching Hey Arnold in the 90s to claim that as a W for herself (Hey Arnold ended in '04, but she wasn't even two when the '00s started so she can't remember watching it in the 90s, and she admitted that)...

I even went so far as to say I admire everything about the 80s but everything I've learned about the 80s, I've learned retroactively, not because I actually experienced it...

Funny thing is I shared this with my stepmom yesterday, and in a nutshell, this was what she said (she was born in '67):

"I remember when the '80s Baby' phrase was coined and marketed, around 82-83. It had everything to do with pop culture at the time (music, TV, fashion,etc), and was specifically marketed to the teenage/young adult demographic. Nobody in the 80s was actually calling the babies who were born in the 80s, '80s babies'. 80s babies was the younger demographic my age being influenced by pop culture"...

So she agreed with me that this girl isn't a 90s baby, she's just a kid born in the 90s lol...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I look at it this way:

Some people at work called me a 90s baby, and I won't disagree much on that. I have a working memory of the 90s, but a late start; my first memory is when I was 4 (so '93)...

I don't have multiple memories until '95, that was a fun year, but my memory doesn't really take off, I don't have a grip of memories until the late-90s (97/98/99). So its funny, I technically experienced every day, the entire 90s, but I only really remember about half of it, the back half...

To go along with that, when Y2K hit, I was only 10 (turned 11 in summer '00). So even the part of the 90s I did experience, I was a child. That experience counts, but it didn't groom me the same...

The '00s (2000-2009) is the era that groomed me. I became a teenager in the '00s, started having sex ('03) and experiencing other "coming of age" moments in the '00s. I'm partial to '00s music because it's the music I truly grew up on----->I remember a LOT about music in the 90s, and I also remember in the 00s, they romanticized the fukk out the 90s so you heard 90s music all the time, all throughout the decade...

The 00s shaped me also from the standpoint I didn't live a criminal existence in the 90s, but in the 00s ('04) I "jumped off the porch", as they say in those circles. I can tell you what I've heard about the 90s, but being that so much of the person I became was shaped thru the lens of taking part in criminal activity, the era those activities took place was the '00s...

So I consider myself a 00s baby. I was 10 when the decade started, 20 when the decade ended...

And I respect everyone's right to call themselves what they want, but your "coming of age" years, whether you define it as just teenage, or 10-20, or college years (18-22), whatever decade you experienced that in, is the decade that shaped you most. We are all shaped to an extent by our prepubescent years, but if we're keeping it 100, universally the education you get after 10 compared to before is night and day...

So in homegirl case, she was born September '98. She didn't turn 10 until September 2008, didn't become a teenager until September 2011, that's this decade, and she's 21 now. Overwhelmingly the person she is and is becoming was influenced more by the 2010s than any other decade...

She wasn't dating and having consensual sex in the the 00s, let alone the 90s, nor was she likely dressing herself and creating her own experiences...

She's a 2010s baby. She doesnt wanna claim this era but you know the funny thing? In five years (around '24 when she's going on 25/26 years old), everybody her age is gonna be talking about how wack the '20s are and how "weird" the new generation is and they all gonna be nostalgic and clamoring for the 2010s (2010-2019). Its gonna happen lmao...

Cats born in the 90s may have some memories of the 90s, particularly if they were born earlier in the decade, but you not a 90s baby when you weren't even double digits in the 90s, still getting dressed by your mom, etc. You're just kids who were born in the 90s...

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
damn, I turning 30 next year
late 90/early 00 Disney and Nickelodeon are goat

Disney channel original movie every other month, Hey Arnold, Late All That>early All That,

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
People actually liked the 2000’s? Man I hated the music and a lot of the styles for the most part lol. Also, people are saying these kids want to experience the 2000’s more based on the tweets. I don’t see them wearing Vokal and oversized t shirts and shyt like that... kids are out here straight repping the 90’s with their box fades, old school 90’s era sneakers, champion gear, Tommy Hil, etc. I haven’t seen anything showing that kids want to experience the 2000’s(yet) I mean they try so hard to act like they don’t know shyt from 10 to 15 years ago and want to call people old and shyt.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Born in '92. I remember '96 - '99 vividly. Hell, this track

Is the most nostalgic song in my life because I remember it playing from the boom box one night at a god damn fish fry with my family in the mid 90s, and I had probably just learned how to tie a shoe. :dead: Waking up early so I could watch 'Goof Troop' and 'Inspector Gadget.' 'Spider-Man', 'Garfield,' & 'Beetleborgs' after school. 'X-Men' with a bowl of Fruit Loops on Saturdays mornings and even the short lived 'Mortal Kombat' cartoon. :russ: NBA Jam on SEGA ("He's On Fire") Loading up 'Street Fighter.' :wow:

41n.gif

Hell, SEGA period. I have the AOL dial up tone engrained in my brain. I remember being set up on a 'Kids Only' account with parental controls. :beli: Hearing Keith Sweat on the radio daily and the 'Twisted' video. Aaliyah on BET around the time she dropped that Doctor Dolittle track 'Are You That Somebody.' TLC 'Waterfalls.' The Missy Elliot video used to scare the shyt out of me. :dead:

Mom dukes bumping Usher. Erykah Badu's cassette in the whip with "On & On" on repeat. No Limit cassette #112 being brought to school by classmates. WCW's C show "WCW Saturday Night," when they had the blue and yellow ring with The Flock sitting ringside. :heh:

WCW vs WWF. nikkas drawing battle lines and rising with NWO or DX. Being :merchant: at 5 o'clock Saturday when Nickelodeon ran "Are You Afraid Of The Dark."

CN at night with "What A Cartoon"

:mjcry: Hell, I went with my family to see "Nutty Professor" and "The Fifth Element" in the theatre. "Mortal Kombat" was watched on VHS literally daily. Reptile beat the breaks off Liu. :laff:

NBA on NBC.

The presentation has yet to be matched. I'd grab a cushion and "shoot" into one our chairs during the games. I experienced all of that and then for better or worse, the CRUNK era :krs: :mjlol:

main-.jpg

Young enough to look fondly on the simpler times, but old enough to appreciate the technological leaps we've made. Loved the period of the 90s I distinctly remember and I love the early 00's. Wouldn't change a thing. :manny:

Last edited: