Kevin Garnett top 20 player of all time?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Dirk won an MVP in 2007 and his Mavs went out in the first round.

What's your point? There were other years where he got his team out of the first and last year he was the best player on a team that won a championship.

T-Mac played in a weak eastern conference and never got out of the first. Then he went to Houston, they had talent and the same result..

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agree. But I'd tie KG with McHale. KG is easily top 50. I'd have him in the late 20s early 30s

Sent From My Nexus S 4G nikka!

KG is definitely top 50. But I can't put him on McHale's level. McHale could get you points down the stretch all throughout his career. Only just recently is KG willing to shoot the ball late in games. Dude makes Lebron look like Westbrook earlier in his career. He was terrified of the ball late in games.

Also, McHales defense was underrated. Dud could have been "the man" if he didn't play with Bird. shyt, listen to Barkley, I swear he'll have McHale in his top 3 PF.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
FreedS[ohh]lave;350808 said:
You can point to single years but never getting out of the first round or taking 7 years to get out of the first round takes you out of the legendary category..
who called TMac a legend? :stopitslime:

All I said is that he was a better player than Pierce

What's your point? There were other years where he go his team out of the first and last year he was the best player on a team that won a championship.

T-Mac played in a weak eastern conference and never got out of the first. Then he went to Houston, they had talent and the same result..
right, so you are all about hindsight and team accomplishments judging who is the better player.

All Ive said is that Tmac was a better player than Paul Pierce for damn near a decade. The yearly media awards and rankings showed that. TMac never had a teammate as good as Antoine Walker in Orlando/ Probably why Pierce had more success in the postseason back then.

I acknowledge that Pierce had a better career, but in no year of their primes was Pierce a better player than Tmac.

and I used Dirk winning the MVP because you used that BS KG won the MVP in 2004 analogy. Before those playoffs, Minnesota never made it out the first round of the postseason either.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
who called TMac a legend? :stopitslime:

All I said is that he was a better player than Pierce

right, so you are all about hindsight and team accomplishments judging who is the better player.

All Ive said is that Tmac was a better player than Paul Pierce for damn near a decade. The yearly media awards and rankings showed that. TMac never had a teammate as good as Antoine Walker. Probably why Pierce had more success in the postseason.

I acknowledge that Pierce had a better career, but in no year of their primes was Pierce a better player than Tmac.

and I used Dirk winning the MVP because you used that BS KG won the MVP in 2004 analogy. Before those playoffs, Minnesota never made it out the first round of the postseason either.

Cats calling Garnett a legend :heh:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah but the key there is that KG did make it to the conference finals eventually.

I'm not about team accomplishments being the end all of any discussion. You are now trying to turn the argument around. I said team accomplishments should not be discounted. Pierce winning a Finals MVP should not be discounted when discussing he and T-Mac's careers.

Again, I don't know what you are arguing with me about. T-Mac was the better individual player for a long time. Now Pierce is the better player and will continue to be until one of them retires.

Pierce will go down as the better player because these lists are always based on career... not "peaks"

If we strictly kept it to who had the higher peak than what's to stop someone from saying that T-Mac is on Kobe's level? Not better... but level. If someone asked you who the better player was your answer wouldn't be "well, for a while T-Mac and Kobe were the same"... your answer would be "Kobe, no question, get the fukk outta here"

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah but the key there is that KG did make it to the conference finals eventually.

I'm not about team accomplishments being the end all of any discussion. You are now trying to turn the argument around. I said team accomplishments should not be discounted. Pierce winning a Finals MVP should not be discounted when discussing he and T-Mac's careers.

Again, I don't know what you are arguing with me about. T-Mac was the better individual player for a long time. Now Pierce is the better player and will continue to be until one of them retires.

Pierce will go down as the better player because these lists are always based on career... not "peaks"

If we strictly kept it to who had the higher peak than what's to stop someone from saying that T-Mac is on Kobe's level? Not better... but level. If someone asked you who the better player was your answer wouldn't be "well, for a while T-Mac and Kobe were the same"... your answer would be "Kobe, no question, get the fukk outta here"

well the difference would be that kobe was considered better than mcgrady for most of (in not all) of their careers where as paul pierce wasn't considered a mcgrady level player until he teamed with ray allen and kevin garnett

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
Nash won consecutive MVP's. Even if you disagree with the voting, he led a team that had won 29 games the year prior to what? 60 wins? The Suns had plenty of playoff success as well. They made the WCF's.

Payton led the Sonics to the finals and they were the one seed a few different times.

T-Mac didn't have a lot of help on Orlando but even guys like Carter and Iverson willed their teams out of the first round in the weak eastern conference. The Rockets did have talent even though they dealt with injuries and T-Mac still didn't get them out of the first..

Why shouldn't that be held against him? Plenty of star players have taken a team on their back and willed them through a round or two.
Iverson and Carter had better teams. Why are you ignoring the teammates that they had? Iverson had Mckie who was a top 50 player at one point, Mutumbo a multiple DPOY all-star and a collection of players that went out there and did the dirty work. The Sixers was a very good defensive team. All Iverson had to do was score. He also had Larry Brown as coach. One of the greatest ever.

SwagKingKong

All Star
Daps
If only KG had the same "give me the ball I'm shooting it" mentality back when he was in his prime that he does now, he'd be a legit top 15 player. Looking back on his career now, I don't know if I'll pick him over McHale at PF position.

Just from the PF I saw play, I'd rank:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. Dirk
5. Mchale
6. KG

:snoop:

You really putting Barkley and McHale ahead of Garnett? Yo :ohhh:

Some of you people AMAZE me. It's mind-boggling to see how little you know about basketball.

I want someone seriously arguing for him not being top 20 to name 20 better players. He's around 12-14 on my all-time list, to have him out of the top 20 is :shaq2:

He's the most impactful defender of his generation and add to that the fact that he would give you 22+ points, 13+ rebounds and 5 assists per game. Well, it's pretty clear he's top 20 of all-time.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
:rudy:

Carter had better teammates in Toronto the year they got past the Knicks and took the Sixers to seven? The next leading scorer was Anthony Davis. Alvin Williams. 37-year old Charles Oakley. Mo pete who was only 23 and didn't start half the year.

Iverson had Lynch, Snow, Mckie off the bench, Theo and Tyone Hill. Mutombo played like 20 games.

These were not good supporting casts.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no way, maybe top 50, maybe. its funny how people tend to overrate players and performances when they're fresh and current. garnett has had some solid games this series and i've been hearing nigs sayin he's one of the greatest players ever frequently as of a late, :wtb:. rondo, who i think is one of the greatest pure point guards of this generation, had a phenominal game against the Heat last week and I was hearin n!gs say it was the best playoff performance ever and sh!t the following day, :shaq2:. its not even the best of the last 5 years. remember Lebron against the Pistons? Game 5? 25 straight points to close the game? finished with 48-9-7 and the WIN? put his team up 3-2? its kinda the same in rap music, when a new album drops thats pretty dope and people go overboard and start calling it a classic and sh!t, smh, calm down

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
:rudy:

Carter had better teammates in Toronto the year they got past the Knicks and took the Sixers to seven? The next leading scorer was Anthony Davis. Alvin Williams. 37-year old Charles Oakley. Mo pete who was only 23 and didn't start half the year.

Iverson had Lynch, Snow, Mckie off the bench, Theo and Tyone Hill. Mutombo played like 20 games.

These were not good supporting casts.
They were still better than what Tracy had in Orlando.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:snoop:

You really putting Barkley and McHale ahead of Garnett? Yo :ohhh:

Some of you people AMAZE me. It's mind-boggling to see how little you know about basketball.

I want someone seriously arguing for him not being top 20 to name 20 better players. He's around 12-14 on my all-time list, to have him out of the top 20 is :shaq2:

He's the most impactful defender of his generation and add to that the fact that he would give you 22+ points, 13+ rebounds and 5 assists per game. Well, it's pretty clear he's top 20 of all-time.

Garnett is better than Barkley :stopitslime::wtf:
Im done

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
no way, maybe top 50, maybe. its funny how people tend to overrate players and performances when they're fresh and current. garnett has had some solid games this series and i've been hearing nigs sayin he's one of the greatest players ever frequently as of a late, :wtb:. rondo, who i think is one of the greatest pure point guards of this generation, had a phenominal game against the Heat last week and I was hearin n!gs say it was the best playoff performance ever and sh!t the following day, :shaq2:. its not even the best of the last 5 years. remember Lebron against the Pistons? Game 5? 25 straight points to close the game? finished with 48-9-7 and the WIN? put his team up 3-2? its kinda the same in rap music, when a new album drops thats pretty dope and people go overboard and start calling it a classic and sh!t, smh, calm down
Look at KG's resume.

NBA Champion (2008)
NBA Most Valuable Player (2004)
NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2008)
14× NBA All-Star (1997–1998, 2000–2011)
4× All-NBA First Team (2000, 2003–2004, 2008)
3× All-NBA Second Team (2001–2002, 2005)
2× All-NBA Third Team (1999, 2007)
9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2000–2005, 2008–2009, 2011)
3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2006–2007, 2012)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (1996)
4× NBA rebounding champion (2004–2007)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (2003)
Ranked #30 in SLAM Magazine's 2009 revision of the top 50 greatest players of all time (published in the August 2009 issue)

Career Totals

Rebounds: 13313
Assits: 5065
Blocks: 1908

That's not a great career? :what: