Kendrick turning Cole into Fredo Corleone is still the dagger

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
While Cole is a dope MC. I think he either let the current climate lull him into a place where he thought "it's not that serious". Or he never understood what being an MC and constantly calling yourself the best means.
Because partnering with Drake a guy he knows doesn't write all his own raps and trying to make the "Big 3" a thing where they all share 'the best' title while sneakily claiming number 1. Isn't something the number 1 MC should be partaking in. Kendrick caught him slipping and called him out. He really wasn't expecting it it seems because he put himself in a bad spot and didn't think what could possibly come afterwards.
This.

He did not understand the GAMB-I-N-O rules.

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you mean?

Simple

Cole was the closest the East Coast have in this generation as their own even though he's from the South
He's still EST and of their ilk or tries to be. All the older East Coast heavyweight champion him

He has thrived off East Coast bias and stealing Nas fans(only to throw Nas under the 🚌)
He's never been better than KDot and not even close

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Simple

Cole was the closest the East Coast have in this generation as their own even though he's from the South
He's still EST and of their ilk or tries to be. All the older East Coast heavyweight champion him

He has thrived off East Coast bias and stealing Nas fans(only to throw Nas under the 🚌)
I think the media guys from the East Coast were actually friends of Drake. Most guys I know prefer Kendrick over Cole and I'm from NYC.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Simple

Kendrick is down with Nas team. What other heavyweights are you talking about?

And how do you explain this?....

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't think Kendrick erased him. Cole kinda erased himself and it started long before he took that diss back. The impression I've got of Cole is that he came into the game as a fan who rapped, and many of his aspirations were based on childhood dreams of becoming what he loved. He wanted to drop a classic debut album, have hit records while maintaining a street/non-mainstream following, be the golden child, etc. Basically a mixture of Nas/Jay/Pac who never went too far pop, never fell off, got the 5 Mics treatment at some point and avoided the pitfalls they faced.

The problem is that instead his first album was pretty weak, in part due to Jay demanding pop records. So he didn't get the classic debut. Then a year later his good friend dropped a debut album that was immediately hailed as a classic. Then his good friend started winning awards. Then Nas and Jay started praising his good friend while simutaneously being harder on him (being stuck between Jay demanding hits and Nas denigrating his single). Then his good friend asserted dominance with a verse that shook up the game and name dropped him. In short, Kendrick was suddenly doing a lot of the historical shyt that Cole once dreamed of doing as a kid.

Then what happened? Suddenly Cole started talking about no longer chasing accolades, no longer caring about reviews, no longer worrying about fame. I thought it was obvious at time but in hindsight it's even more undeniable: his shift to care free, longer hair, bike riding "fukk fame" Jermaine was 100% a response to him realizing Kendrick got the shyt he initially wanted in the game and the jealousy wasn't healthy. He had to re-prioritize and focus on shyt that made him happy. And him doubling down on rappity rap exercises over the last few years was him trying to get back to the essence and differentiate himself from Kendrick and Drake, both of whom become more commercial in subsequent years. I think the Like That verse was simply too disrespectful for him to ignore but shortly after dropping that diss he reverted back to his peaceful state and took it back. I don't know where Cole goes from here but he seems to be at peace with himself.

Cole said that he started taking more time to enjoy himself and relax after the FHD tour. From the day Jay signed him until then, he was grinding nonstop. He wanted to prove that he was the best and he wanted to maximize his potential, something he didn't do with basketball. That's why he said he's been sleeping well for the past ten years. His first album should have been Friday Night Lights, but the label didn't believe in it. Then his debut failed to impress anyone and his star-making moment (FNL) ended up being a mixtape. His second album was an improvement and it's underrated, but I still think people didn't take him that seriously.

FHD changed all that. No guest appearances, went platinum, had multiple hits, spawned a successful tour. His first single wasn't even that radio-friendly like his last two albums, and this was where Cole was finally in that space as a superstar. To him, FHD was like winning his first championship. After that, he started making peace with who he was because he finally made an undeniable project. Before that, it felt like he had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to be that guy you described. His later albums (4YEO, KOD) feel more like albums he wanted to make with no pressure to do anything different, but they wouldn't exist if FHD flopped.

StayOffMe

Pro
Daps
I don't think Kendrick erased him. Cole kinda erased himself and it started long before he took that diss back. The impression I've got of Cole is that he came into the game as a fan who rapped, and many of his aspirations were based on childhood dreams of becoming what he loved. He wanted to drop a classic debut album, have hit records while maintaining a street/non-mainstream following, be the golden child, etc. Basically a mixture of Nas/Jay/Pac who never went too far pop, never fell off, got the 5 Mics treatment at some point and avoided the pitfalls they faced.

The problem is that instead his first album was pretty weak, in part due to Jay demanding pop records. So he didn't get the classic debut. Then a year later his good friend dropped a debut album that was immediately hailed as a classic. Then his good friend started winning awards. Then Nas and Jay started praising his good friend while simutaneously being harder on him (being stuck between Jay demanding hits and Nas denigrating his single). Then his good friend asserted dominance with a verse that shook up the game and name dropped him. In short, Kendrick was suddenly doing a lot of the historical shyt that Cole once dreamed of doing as a kid.

Then what happened? Suddenly Cole started talking about no longer chasing accolades, no longer caring about reviews, no longer worrying about fame. I thought it was obvious at time but in hindsight it's even more undeniable: his shift to care free, longer hair, bike riding "fukk fame" Jermaine was 100% a response to him realizing Kendrick got the shyt he initially wanted in the game and the jealousy wasn't healthy. He had to re-prioritize and focus on shyt that made him happy. And him doubling down on rappity rap exercises over the last few years was him trying to get back to the essence and differentiate himself from Kendrick and Drake, both of whom become more commercial in subsequent years. I think the Like That verse was simply too disrespectful for him to ignore but shortly after dropping that diss he reverted back to his peaceful state and took it back. I don't know where Cole goes from here but he seems to be at peace with himself.
I agree wholeheartedly.

To me Cole is delusional and being just a fan and not completely embracing the art/genre (perhaps the white mom thing…) he just not fully immersed in it either.

His diss to Kendrick, he stated that Dot disappears for 5 years between his drops…

However, between 2017-2022 can we say that’s when Cole became more “confident”? He had some of his best verses in that timeframe, inexplicably calling himself the best. In comparison to his previous work he mainly spoke on his potential.

He’s a bytch because his courage increased when Drake began dropping some of his shyttier work and during Kendrick’s hiatus.

And I don’t like how he came at Walé when he possesses the same feelings but covert with it.

Cole isn’t dumb and I believe he knew, at least somewhat, the angle Aubrey was taking. That’s some shyt 2 white mama nikkas, with colonizing energy would do.

Idk, lol I just felt like talking shyt.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
12c4baf3-cdbb-4621-8a0e-d2c87fe1987e_text.gif

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Cole said that he started taking more time to enjoy himself and relax after the FHD tour. From the day Jay signed him until then, he was grinding nonstop. He wanted to prove that he was the best and he wanted to maximize his potential, something he didn't do with basketball. That's why he said he's been sleeping well for the past ten years. His first album should have been Friday Night Lights, but the label didn't believe in it. Then his debut failed to impress anyone and his star-making moment (FNL) ended up being a mixtape. His second album was an improvement and it's underrated, but I still think people didn't take him that seriously.

FHD changed all that. No guest appearances, went platinum, had multiple hits, spawned a successful tour. His first single wasn't even that radio-friendly like his last two albums, and this was where Cole was finally in that space as a superstar. To him, FHD was like winning his first championship. After that, he started making peace with who he was because he finally made an undeniable project. Before that, it felt like he had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to be that guy you described. His later albums (4YEO, KOD) feel more like albums he wanted to make with no pressure to do anything different, but they wouldn't exist if FHD flopped.

Yup FHD is when the shift happened. It's also probably his best album. There's also a track on there where he basically says the concept of a best rapper crown is unhealthy and he destroys it in the song. His next two albums were very conceptual but after that he started leaning more and more into rappity rap gymnastics and doing features to kill people on their own song. Which to me is the origin of his "I'm the best rapper" shyt he was doing. So he doubled back and decided he wanted the crown after all. Which is funny because Kendrick did the same shyt years later. Mr Morale has the song Crown on it where he's basically saying the same thing, only for Like That to drop two years later.