Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
threads gotten way too big to follow, but Terrace Martin confirms theres no master of the Colbert song
l

yo I fukkin love that song, I dont even need a master, I placed before "i" on TPAB.

The whole song is fukkin genius, his performance is ill, the composition is ill.

"i holla what you do, what you say?
i shall enjoy the fruits of my labour if I am free today!"

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
this.

There are some tracks that are stand out tracks that you go straight to, ie: Complexion, The Blacker The Berry, the Isley joint, but some are tracks that only fit in the scope of listening to the entire album.

At first I didn't feel the album because I was trying to skip around tracks to find the standouts. But when I sat and listened to the whole album in one session it made sense! Its a movie. :blessed:

:salute:Kendrick and his consecutive masterpiece
Agreed.

Although I feel once you realize the story and idea of the album, you can go back and listen.

Momma, For Sale, Alright and some others getting steady play

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I listen to individual tracks but often end up listening to more. If I'm at home I tend to start with These Walls, and often let u play through. If I listen to Hood Politics I have to listen to How Much A Dollar Cost. If I listen to You Ain't Gotta Lie I gotta play i afterwards, and Mortal Man.
:wow:

Blacker The Berry in the whip tho :wow::wow:

was blasting that shyt after work, driving around in my suit and tie. Pulled up to a red light and the old cacs in the other lane were like :merchant:

black dudes like :dwillhuh: ayo what's that

:smugfavre:
i dont like playing the album straight though unless i know i got time to actually finish it

so usually when im just driving somewhere its

wesleys theory , king kunta, these walls, alright, hood politics, complexion, blacker the berry and you aint gotta lie

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how u feel about people who have problems with this album because of its politics? and i dont just mean whites or new blacks. im talking bout some black social justice types who think kendrick is engaging in respectability politics or that he is confused and not coherent. this is the new criticism i am hearing. its like they cant fault it musically or from a mc virtuoso performance so they looking at kendricks politics and the message they think he espousing.

was kinda annoyed with that grantland podcast saying kendrick seems confused. or that he contradicts himself from songs like "hood politics" and then a song like “I".

The album is challenging himself and his observations as a caterpillar. 'i' is when he's come out of the coc00n and is emerging as the self assured butterfly. If you don't question things in life and have some contradiction you're not making informed decisions for anyone.

And when I read that hood politics and i are contradicting I say that listener is not listening. I keep reading about his voice being annoying. Well, he is a rapper. The use of his voice as an instrument is limited as far as conveying tone and mood compared to an instrument or a singing voice, so the brotha is wise enough to use the speed and pitch of his voice to convey different times and perspectives. He's doing that in Hood Politics. Pay attention to the context of the song (the song before and after) to understand his mindstate in the song. He's in Africa before and after the song, meaning the song is not of that current Kendrick reality. That's why his dad/drunk guy can't reach him. He's hopped up on Africa and his new knowledge at that point. He's imagining Hood Politics and being that angry and dismissive towards the politics and other rappers. I've seen this mentioned as a diss record, but it seems like him struggling with his new found status, which is why he is brought back to reality by the homeless men(God) who talks to him about being humble. He's questioning how much the money and fame and being greedy(uppity) really costs. Fast forward some more internal struggle and you get to the song they are really talking about(Blacker the Berry) and that one line a the end. IMO, the brotha is asking himself the question, not asking you. Its a good question to ask ourselves too. I bet he can answer. Perhaps this is why "You aint gotta lie is next". Blacker the berry is still a coc00n song. You aint gotta lie is getting out of it.

That's why this is a coherent masterpiece that you can't just take things out of context from. They TDE made that mistake themselves with their single choices. Its like taking a 17 year old kid and asking him advice on anything. So I think political problems with this aren't understanding the album's relationship with time and space.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lets talk about the production on wesleys theory. i can listen to the music on there forever. the beat is constantly changing and evolving, adding different sounds and shyt. i just described it in the most basic way ever but that beat damn.:whew: might be the best produced track i heard in a minute. the shyt moves fast and is never off balance. shyt like a porsche driving at full velocity yet never losing traction as it turns corners suddenly. damn i just tried some music crit lingo but this album inspired me to try:to:

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lets talk about the production on wesleys theory. i can listen to the music on there forever. the beat is constantly changing and evolving, adding different sounds and shyt. i just described it in the most basic way ever but that beat damn.:whew: might be the best produced track i heard in a minute. the shyt moves fast and is never off balance. shyt like a porsche driving at full velocity yet never losing traction as it turns corners suddenly. damn i just tried some music crit lingo but this album inspired me to try:to:

I've said it before, but it really sounds like some real p-funk. Like the Parliaments and Funkadelic were there in their entirety I saw an interview with Bilal saying that idea for the sound was all Kendrick and that he wanted that layered George Clinton sound with the haunting vocals. I love at scary voice right at the end of Uncle Sam's verse that goes "Yeah!"

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just checked metacritic, this album now has as many 10/10 scores as MBDTF. 13 critics so far have given it full marks. thats only gonna increase as time passes.

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
fukking love this album.... but where is the damn studio version of the song he did on Colbert :damn::feedme: