Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
It feels good to really say "wow" at multiple points throughout albums again. This and T&Y give me the same feeling I get when listening to some of my all time favorite albums. The level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is just on a completely different level. Add the talent of the emcee and it all comes together to make something really special. When's the last time you really felt an album had no skippables? I can't speak for y'all, but for me it's been a good minute. Every song on this album is genuinely top notch. What's the worst record? King Kunta? King Kunta would be the very best songs on MANY rappers projects. King Kunta is a great record.

We are entering a phase where the cream is really going to rise to the top and a lot of previous comparisons are going to seem laughable looking back. Keep in mind there were people truly asking who is better between Kdot and Drake. That was really a question brehs.
King Kunta itself as a concept/term is just :wow:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how u feel about people who have problems with this album because of its politics? and i dont just mean whites or new blacks. im talking bout some black social justice types who think kendrick is engaging in respectability politics or that he is confused and not coherent. this is the new criticism i am hearing. its like they cant fault it musically or from a mc virtuoso performance so they looking at kendricks politics and the message they think he espousing.

was kinda annoyed with that grantland podcast saying kendrick seems confused. or that he contradicts himself from songs like "hood politics" and then a song like “I".

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder if King Kunta will be like Pac's California Love 2 video:jawalrus:

...Quik gotta make an appearance to make the cypher complete:ahh:

Can't stop listenin to this future GOAT: Screamin' Annie are you Okay? Annie are you Okay?:mj:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
how u feel about people who have problems with this album because of its politics? and i dont just mean whites or new blacks. im talking bout some black social justice types who think kendrick is engaging in respectability politics or that he is confused and not coherent. this is the new criticism i am hearing. its like they cant fault it musically or from a mc virtuoso performance so they looking at kendricks politics and the message they think he espousing.

was kinda annoyed with that grantland podcast saying kendrick seems confused. or that he contradicts himself from songs like "hood politics" and then a song like “I".

Despite the album's brilliance I can't deny that the victim blaming and respectability politics he focuses on annoys me a bit. They have a point, but overall I feel the music is so beautiful, powerful, and at times uplifting and thought provoking that I look past that to enjoy the whole. Yeah there's some cringe worthy victim blaming on the album, but there's a lot of passionate love for his people and a genuine desire to want to see us do better as well. Not to mention he doesn't exactly let cacs off the hook either.

It's balanced. There's some respectability politics, there's some black empowerment, there's some introspection and there's some putting cacs on blast for their despicable history.

It challenges and addreses everything, and because it does, I can personally tolerate and look past the things I don't necessarily agree with. And I can let him speak for himself as well, because I know he's trying to reach a more oppressed and dumbed down brother and sister than me. He comes from the heart of Compton where there are tons of black men and women who look just like me and need to hear his message urgently. For me the album is just a reaffirmation and a beautiful regurgtitarion of what I already know and feel. For them it's an enlightening awakening that could save their lives and help propel us as a race forward.

People clown us Lupe fans for T&Y selling poorly and this selling well, but to be honest, I'm glad it is and wish it'd sell even more. The topicalness of this album in comparison to the layered complication of Lupe's makes the important message Kendrick had for his people more easily understandable. I don't think it's a better album than T&Y but it is certainly a more important one to the black community. If every black person in this country could hear TPAB I would be elated. I consider it that culturally important - especially for our generation.

So while I may hate blacks killing other blacks just as much as I hate racist white cops killing blacks and therefore am not the biggest hypocrite of 2015, I can remove myself from the situation and acknowledge many of the people listening to this album are and need to hear it.

My 2 cents :manny:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

It's an album that's based around pushing his message across though, so I feel like that's a valid complaint that people can have. A lot of people loving this album are the same people that will turn around and neg and 1* anybody that comes on here and makes a thread stating some of the same stuff Kendrick is saying on this album.

Just imagine a thread titled like this...
"This Trayvon Martin situation is unfortunate... but where's the outcry when black people kill innocent black people?"
"If black people respected each other more, white people would respect us more"

:patrice:

And I like the album, and I bought it, but I don't agree with everything on it. And I'm going to continue to bring up how people really don't mind Kendrick's pretentiousness and preachy-ness all over this album, but when other artists go to the same length that he's displaying on here to drive home his opinion/thoughts it's a problem.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Despite the album's brilliance I can't deny that the victim blaming and respectability politics he focuses on annoys me a bit. They have a point, but overall I feel the music is so beautiful, powerful, and at times uplifting and thought provoking that I look past that to enjoy the whole. Yeah there's some cringe worthy victim blaming on the album, but there's a lot of passionate love for his people and a genuine desire to want to see us do better as well. Not to mention he doesn't exactly let cacs off the hook either.

It's balanced. There's some respectability politics, there's some black empowerment, there's some introspection and there's some putting cacs on blast for their despicable history.

It challenges and addreses everything, and because it does, I can personally tolerate and look past the things I don't necessarily agree with. And I can let him speak for himself as well, because I know he's trying to reach a more oppressed and dumbed down brother and sister than me. He comes from the heart of Compton where there are tons of black men and women who look just like me and need to hear his message urgently. For me the album is just a reaffirmation and a beautiful regurgtitarion of what I already know and feel. For them it's an enlightening awakening that could save their lives and help propel us as a race forward.

People clown us Lupe fans for T&Y selling poorly and this selling well, but to be honest, I'm glad it is and wish it'd sell even more. The topicalness of this album in comparison to the layered complication of Lupe's makes the important message Kendrick had for his people more easily understandable. I don't think it's a better album than T&Y but it is certainly a more important one to the black community. If every black person in this country could hear TPAB I would be elated. I consider it that culturally important - especially for our generation.

So while I may hate blacks killing other blacks just as much as I hate racist white cops killing blacks and therefore am not the biggest hypocrite of 2015, I can remove myself from the situation and acknowledge many of the people listening to this album are and need to hear it.

My 2 cents :manny:

@Versa for current post of the year :wow:

Although I SLIGHY disagree with the "respectability politics" angle (I don't think anything he said regarding black on black crime or his feelings regarding it went into victim blaming territory) you are spot fukking on with everything else

Brandwin

Pro
Daps
I just can’t figure out what I am missing with this. Yeah, it’s grown on me, but I haven’t been able to wrap my head around all the great praise it’s getting. I felt the same way about the D’Angelo album. Everyone was saying it was a masterpiece, but I couldn’t get into it and gave up.

Maybe I just need to give both some more listens or be in the right frame of mind.

Daps
man Momma still got me like
1p9ik3.jpg

such a soulful track

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
"Respectability Politics"??

i just can't with y'all sometimes...regurgitating and repeating the wild ass ideals of bloggers and twitter revolutionaries who are more so looking for hits and re-tweets than initiating real discourse.

what a lot of people are failing to take into consideration is that Kendrick spent the majority of his life inside of a social vacuum that even a lot of black folks have never experienced. on his own, he has discovered a couple of the very principles that the original Panthers and Malcolm X pushed - 1. accept your own responsibility and the fate that it brings. 2. understand who YOU are; knowledge of self.

how do either of those translate into being apologetic or victimisation?

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's an album that's based around pushing his message across though, so I feel like that's a valid complaint that people can have. A lot of people loving this album are the same people that will turn around and neg and 1* anybody that comes on here and makes a thread stating some of the same stuff Kendrick is saying on this album.

Just imagine a thread titled like this...
"This Trayvon Martin situation is unfortunate... but where's the outcry when black people kill innocent black people?"
"If black people respected each other more, white people would respect us more"

:patrice:

And I like the album, and I bought it, but I don't agree with everything on it. And I'm going to continue to bring up how people really don't mind Kendrick's pretentiousness and preachy-ness all over this album, but when other artists go to the same length that he's displaying on here to drive home his opinion/thoughts it's a problem.

sure the respectability angle isnt unique to kendrick at all. everyone from public enemy to cube to pac been doing that. we either have a problem with all of them or none at all. personally i try to separate artists from politicians. if he was a politician then i would be like :camby: with that aspect, but i think artists are speaking to us on a more intimate level and i get his frustration. i can take it as a frustration on his part, but if cacs and politicians take that as an excuse for the racist bs thats when it can become a problem, but i wouldnt want to censure kendrick. its obvious coming from a place of sincerity and hopefulness.

treezee

LWO
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
I Just like GKMC this is like watching a movie, so it`s not something where I would go back to listen to a few songs, you have to listen to the entire album.

this.

There are some tracks that are stand out tracks that you go straight to, ie: Complexion, The Blacker The Berry, the Isley joint, but some are tracks that only fit in the scope of listening to the entire album.

At first I didn't feel the album because I was trying to skip around tracks to find the standouts. But when I sat and listened to the whole album in one session it made sense! Its a movie. :blessed:

:salute:Kendrick and his consecutive masterpiece

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I listen to individual tracks but often end up listening to more. If I'm at home I tend to start with These Walls, and often let u play through. If I listen to Hood Politics I have to listen to How Much A Dollar Cost. If I listen to You Ain't Gotta Lie I gotta play i afterwards, and Mortal Man.
:wow:

Blacker The Berry in the whip tho :wow::wow:

was blasting that shyt after work, driving around in my suit and tie. Pulled up to a red light and the old cacs in the other lane were like :merchant:

black dudes like :dwillhuh: ayo what's that

:smugfavre:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I listen to individual tracks but often end up listening to more. If I'm at home I tend to start with These Walls, and often let u play through. If I listen to Hood Politics I have to listen to How Much A Dollar Cost. If I listen to You Ain't Gotta Lie I gotta play i afterwards, and Mortal Man.

Blacker The Berry in the whip tho :wow::wow:

was blasting that shyt after work, driving around in my suit and tie. Pulled up to a red light and the old cacs in the other lane were like :merchant:

black dudes like :dwillhuh: ayo what's that

:smugfavre:
A young black man jamming to his music in his car makes white people uncomfortable af
:russ:

Especially if it's some hard shyt like that

I don't turn down shyt either