Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I feel the quality of hip hop that has come out the last few months is so high that we are experience a new renaissance of excellent music. For me personally, if you're not bringing the skills and deep subject matter, I really can't get anything from your music. If a dude is spitting his ass off but not saying anything of substance, I can't rock with it. If a dude has something deep and profound to say but rhymes like Doctor Seuss, I can't rock with it. I've always felt this way to a lesser extent, but we on a whole new level now. Emcees are clearly taking it back to the skills and the art. Making these other rappers look real funny in the day light.

If Wale drops quality next week then this year will officially be our Renaissance :blessed:

Luda just might fukk around and surprise us:obama:

We still have the GOAT coming this year:ahh:

Jay Electronica might fukk around and drop a snippet :leon:

2015 gonna be a good year

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
If Wale drops quality next week then this year will officially be our Renaissance :blessed:

Luda just might fukk around and surprise us:obama:

We still have the GOAT coming this year

Jay Electronica might fukk around and drop a snippet :leon:

2015 gonna be a good year

This, Lupe, Joey, and Earl also.. 2015 is starting out nice..:ahh:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
:mindblown:
What's so hard about these lyrics that everybody keeps mentioning rapgenius? It's not like it's Supreme Clientele. Some songs may take a closer listen to, but nothing is abstract in a way that the meaning is indecipherable
Everyone isn't as smart as you breh.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do You Like Prince Movies?

wesley moriss and alex papadenas of grantland talk about the album at about 41 mins in.

very frustrating, they spent more time talking but the response to the album. i still dont know if they liked it. this album is intimidating a lot of critics. i cant remember that ever happening before. these cats scared of history looking back unkindly on them.

for the record i like wesley and alex, 2 very smart guys about pop art , but damn i wish they could just spit out what they thought.

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
So you knew mamma was about africa and compton?

That shyt wasn't spelled out like that. This nikkas doing metaphorical entendres
At first I got Compton. Then I got Africa because tossing a football with ashy ankles. I love the album I just hate people that don't like it saying they don't want to go on rap genius to enjoy music. I didnt need rap genius to love it

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Wowweee. 2015 is already looking to be the best year in hip-hop since maybe 06, maybe even 03. I think this album is step under the Lupe album but it doesn't matter Kendrick took his time and put out his magnum opus. I really liked his first album and he has avoided the sophomore slump. He is truly shown to be one of the great artists of his generation and I look forward to hearing his work in the future. I always liked the kid, but he has improved so much. His songwriting is excellent. He is definitely at the forefront of the new age Native Tongues movement.