rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what are your favorite tracks

i can't get into this album at all and i love kendrick
I didn't like it at first either. So I built up in this order

1.)These Walls - Easiest to like. Most pop song. Most R&B sounding. Most radio ready to be a hit I think.
2.) Hood Politics - Stood out during my first listen, but once I got in the car it really sounded great.
3.) How Much Does a Dollar Cost. This to me is classic Kendrick.
4.) Alright. Smoove ass banger.

IMO, those are the easiest mainstream songs to like

If you really like George Clinton type funk, just let Wesley's Theory play out though. I think its just plain underrated. You rarely hear a song imitate a song of another genre that successfully.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I didn't like it at first either. So I built up in this order

1.)These Walls - Easiest to like. Most pop song. Most R&B sounding. Most radio ready to be a hit I think.
2.) Hood Politics - Stood out during my first listen, but once I got in the car it really sounded great.
3.) How Much Does a Dollar Cost. This to me is classic Kendrick.
4.) Alright. Smoove ass banger.

IMO, those are the easiest mainstream songs to like

If you really like George Clinton type funk, just let Wesley's Theory play out though. I think its just plain underrated. You rarely hear a song imitate a song of another genre that successfully.

Wesley's Thseoy is amazing. Can't get much better than that for an intro. Song perfectly encapsulates what TPAB is about thematically.

This Album can easily be in my top 10 over time

I have little doubt when the dust settles that this will be one of my top 10 favorite albums ever.

I'm working on a top 50 favorite albums list for fun. GKMC is there and this is better, so I gotta rank it higher.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
It's a damn shame too. I mean, mostly hip hop heads will tell you they listened to Tetsuo and Youth. It's a damn shame you wont hear a T&Y song on the radio. And it's a damn shame people wanna try and blow him off because he doesn't like Obama. My girlfriend told me he ruined his own career when he spoke bad about Obama during the Obama Inauguration. Some joke his life being a Fiasco :mjlol:. But let that man have his political opinions.

It's like that last TPAB track. "If shyt hit the fan, is you still a fan?" :ufdup:

He never really fell off. Food and Liquor 2 was solid, and Tetsuo should be in an art museum :ohlawd:.
The people who blow him off are the people who need to listen to him the most. And his album blew 2014 Forest Hill out of the water for sure. I don't count on the Grammy's for shyt, but if Kendrick doesn't get best rap album nomination, Lupe better get it. :ufdup:

No other two albums should even be in the conversation, but it is what it is. Kendrick will get it because he has the popularity, notoriety, and an undeniably amazing album on his hands. Then again, that happened with GKMC and they gave it to Macklemore anyway lmao.

This is why I say we shouldn't let the opinion of white institutions like the Grammy's influence how we view our art. They've gotten it wrong so often it's hilarious. How we gonna let them dictate what the best stuff is when they don't even announce who won the award during the actual broadcast? They don't even see the art of our culture as worth being squeezed into the telecast!

nikkas will really clown Nas for not having a Grammy and make it seem like it's a slight against him. Why? Cuz massa says he ain't good enough? Breh, Ludacris's Release Therapy won a Grammy over Food & Liquor, The Carter 3 won over The Cool, Eminem's Reocvery won a Grammy over Distant Relatives and How I Got Over, etc, etc. The awards are joke. It's a popularity contest more than anything and an insight into the pallet of white people if anything.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
No other two albums should even be in the conversation, but it is what it is. Kendrick will get it because he has the popularity, notoriety, and an undeniably amazing album on his hands. Then again, that happened with GKMC and they gave it to Macklemore anyway lmao.

This is why I say we shouldn't let the opinion of white institutions like the Grammy's influence how we view our art. They've gotten it wrong so often it's hilarious. How we gonna let them dictate what the best stuff is when they don't even announce who won the award during the actual broadcast? They don't even see the art of our culture as worth being squeezed into the telecast!

nikkas will really clown Nas for not having a Grammy and make it seem like it's a slight against him. Why? Cuz massa says he ain't good enough? Breh, Ludacris's Release Therapy won a Grammy over Food & Liquor, The Carter 3 won over The Cool, Eminem's Reocvery won a Grammy over Distant Relatives and How I Got Over, etc, etc. The awards are joke. It's a popularity contest more than anything and an insight into the pallet of white people if anything.

Agree 100%. Like I said before the ONLY reason I give the Grammy's any validity is because, not unlike the Oscars, they DO play a role in the level of "prestige" and push an artist gets and they are looked at, be this right or wrong, as "experts" of the different musical genres. I want to see the RIGHT artists with the truly deserving projects be rewarded as a testament to true excellence within the culture.

And I hate to be "that" guy but the the lack quality and pride in our own awards shows and ceremonies doesn't help. I remember when the BET awards and even the Hip Hop awards could be looked at as something positive that awarded different artists over a multitude of varied genres. There was a time when we really truly anticipated these ceremonies as a showing of black excellence, the quality seems to have taken a DRASTIC dive for the worse however with these shows to the point where I feel it diluted what should be the counter to the Grammy foolishness. Many of our biggest black entertainers no longer even show up to accept their awards

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Agree 100%. Like I said before the ONLY reason I give the Grammy's any validity is because, not unlike the Oscars, they DO play a role in the level of "prestige" and push an artist gets and they are looked at, be this right or wrong, as "experts" of the different musical genres. I want to see the RIGHT artists with the truly deserving projects be rewarded as a testament to true excellence within the culture.

And I hate to be "that" guy but the the lack quality and pride in our own awards shows and ceremonies doesn't help. I remember when the BET awards and even the Hip Hop awards could be looked at as something positive that awarded different artists over a multitude of varied genres. There was a time when we really truly anticipated these ceremonies as a showing of black excellence, the quality seems to have taken a DRASTIC dive for the worse however with these shows to the point where I feel it diluted what should be the counter to the Grammy foolishness. Many of our biggest black entertainers no longer even show up to accept their awards

The reality is that blacks need not only to stop seeking white acceptance through award shows like the Grammy's, but also to treat our award shows with the same level of respect and prestige that white people do. The current mentality is "we can c00n it up and just have fun with our shyt cuz massa gonna take care of the serious stuff at the grammys". It's sad.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
what are your favorite tracks

i can't get into this album at all and i love kendrick

You aint gotta lie
U
Wesleys theory
King
Hood politics
For sale

Try this...read what each track is a bout on rap genius, multiple listens or even in this thread and then listen to it.

Once I realized the concepts and how each song linked it made more sense to me.

I can understand if someone can't get into it but learning the concept, each songs meaning and how the poem connects I loved it.