Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Daps
what if I told you Momma is actually about Kendrick going home to Africa :lupe:

the Motherland :lupe:

edit: nvm rap genius already on it :francis:
If you see in some of his interviews, he talks about when he got out of Compton and traveled to different places, without rap in his mind that would not have been possible. That song spoke to me deeply man. And towards the end of the album you hear about him going HOME to bring new concepts back to this MAD city(Compton).

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
If you see in some of his interviews, he talks about when he got out of Compton and traveled to different places, without rap in his mind that would not have been possible. That song spoke to me deeply man. And towards the end of the album you hear about him going HOME to bring new concepts back to this MAD city(Compton).
yeah I saw those interviews, even watched clips of his concert in S Africa

dope shyt

wild100sboy

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
Southside, Chicago
Like most of you I've been bumping this non stop, I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened.

Took a day off to listen to rapper big poohs album words paint pictures. Give it a listen, trust me it's a dope albeit short album. Subject matter is very much there. Apollo prouction on point.

Also tried to listen to bronsons album, not so succesful:scust:
I JUST listened to that big pooh album this morning. Its a lot of good stuff on there.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just keep thinking about the metaphor To Pimp a Butterfly. Makes me think of the Baha'i metaphor of the womb. We down here on earth who haven't traveled far enough on the ladder to enlightenment are still in the womb like a baby. We can't see what those who have reached enlightenment can. We know its there, but can't quite reach it, so our rules try to dictate those who are enlightened or those trying to ascend. Like an unborn baby. That baby can't see outside the womb but can detect light and hear that there is something more. They control the woman though, taking nourishment from her, swelling and burdening her body. I remember that applying to all walks of life. Music artist that can see the next level or the light and moving on to the next creative plateau being held back by fear from fans and record company of sales. Worldly addictions and those consumed by them holding the butterfly down with tax burden and credit card payments. White society trying to limit the potential of the black man by controlling him and forcing him to live his way, The trappings of the hood holding brovas back and keeping them in the old ways of the hood.

I'm sure there's nothing enlightening there, but was just talking to a friend that's a Baha'i and I remember going to a class with her hearing about that metaphor.