Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it goes along with the rhetoric that was used to boost up kanye, "breath of fresh air". a so called movement, a good underdog story is everything now. i think in this era kendrick/kanye's faults as emcees actually lead to them getting more acclaim. youre looked upon more favorably now if you have a more understated presence on the mic. i sorta liken it to steve nash winning back to back mvp's, second one in a landslide.

its a good album, the over the top praise is just a nature of the beast nowadays.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
And you know what, I ain't mad atcha. BUT, there's a difference between liking it more than Thriller than it being better.
from an objective standpoint there is nothing that MDBTF does that is exceptional...or impeccable..it's mixed poorly..has too many features..overproduced as hell...his rapping ranges from below average to average...he got smoked on every track by his guest features...the content is unfocused and kinda all over the place...and yet nikkas was actin like it was one of the best albums in music...

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The hype is real, it can effect the experience, I get that, especially if you're younger.

I purposely stayed out of this thread until I had a chance to run thru the album a few times, just to sit with it myself.

And I agree with a lot of y'all, this album to me is like one of them movies that's not really following the familiar presentation, and so you can't help but be confused by out at first. But there's a lot of content and thought and depth to it, and in this ADHD time period, with so much instant gratification, he took a helluva chance with this, but it's worth it. Even the difficult songs to get thru serve their purpose.

It's sounds weird to say, but yeah I think this one of them pieces that isn't built for you to just simply like. It's like saving private Ryan, certain shyt was supposed to be hard to watch, that was a part of the goal of the film, to leave you feeling uneasy at times. I respect him taking then risks, and it's good that people are giving him the credit for doing that, cause it's a huge risk, especially in this genre.

right.

i don't think i will listen to TPAB nearly as much as GKMC as the years pass because it doesn't have that same candy appeal. GKMC is the more "enjoyable" album but TPAB is the much deeper and richer one. it got so many layers and so many different things going on, there's so much more to digest.

sometimes movies are great not because you want to watch them over and over again, but because they're just powerful to experience.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
from an objective standpoint there is nothing that MDBTF does that is exceptional...or impeccable..it's mixed poorly..has too many features..overproduced as hell...his rapping ranges from below average to average...he got smoked on every track by his guest features...the content is unfocused and kinda all over the place...and yet nikkas was actin like it was one of the best albums in music...

like you don't know every word to every song? :dahell:

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yup, and I fukk with the album.

Then the critics started hyping up the shyt and now here we are :snoop:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
She's like 16 fam..what does this prove?..lol

Doesn't prove anything just adding more positive responses to the album to the thread

:manny:

Edit:

Just seeing your comments on MBDTF and I cosign. People kept comparing TPAB to it but they are like night and day. Not just with Kendrick's album being mixed perfectly and Kanye's being the worst mixing performance I have heard in the past..

But Kanye's record just agave off a Euro vibe in so many ways

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't even know what ur tryna imply here...but either way u go my argument still stands...

well you stated that nothing about it was exceptional and that it wasn't one of the best albums of it's time.

how many times have you heard it?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
well you stated that nothing about it was exceptional and that it wasn't one of the best albums of it's time.

how many times have you heard it?
I said nothing about it was exceptional enough to be considered the best album of ALL time...that's the level people are tryna put it at...one of the best albums of ALL time..any genre...when it doesn't even do things exceptional enough in its own genre..I've heard it plenty...even enjoyed it...I enjoy plenty of albums that I don't consider the best of all time...the thing these days is...things can't just be good..or ok..or even great...its either the worst...or the best...it's terrible and since every idiot with zero credentials gets to be heard and taken seriously as a "journalist" these days...shyt is all fukked up...but I thought the album was pretty cool...nothing more..nothing less...

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
breh 1: i like this album "

breh 2: "man i like this album way more than you"

breh 1: :" :why: stop saying that, why you making me hate this album yo"

yall a bunch of fukkin lames :camby:
This. shyt is not that serious. Obviously some people like it more than others. It's not a big fukking deal :russ:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone

AND, the isn't ONE bonafide hit on MBDTF. People try and crowbar that all of the lights mess into hit territory citing some bogusness but you and I know a damn hit. nikkas In paris, trash as the song was, was EVERYWHERE. That's a hit. All of the lights was a pity play hit.