Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I have a bunch of thoughts on this album but one I want you guys to help me with is on For Free

I mean, baby
You really think we could make a baby named Mercedes
Without a Mercedes Benz and twenty four inch rims
Five percent tint, and air conditioning vents
Hell fukkin' naw,

Is he talking about taking out loans, and buying things before he actually is anywhere near having the money to own it. Whole song makes sense but I've been stuck there.
To me he's saying that its not a good idea to have a baby without financial security first.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I hope he's not implying that TPAB is the best album since Stankonia...

Or that Stankonia is the GOAT album :francis:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
damn its the highest rated album since stankonia (2000)

No it isnt

D'angelo had the same rating from just 3 months ago. And lets be real, a notably better album

Also, Brian Wilson and Loretta Lynn have higher rated albums after Stankonia

Maybe you meant just for Hip Hop......of course, why would anybody acknowledge other genres:upsetfavre:

And I'm sorry but this album is getting lots of fluff on its ratings due to carryover from GKMC. Critics afraid to be on the wrong side of history.

This is not a metacritic 95 worthy album, it just isnt. Thats a once-per-three-years-average type of rating. This may be worthy of that for Hip Hop only, but not across all genres

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lupe knows what's up tho. He's not expecting a win, and he knows Kendrick won't win either. I think it's very likely that more Grammy voters will like TPAB than GKMC simply because of the production but he still won't win.

We're talking about 50-60yo while people brehs. They'll hand awards to Stevie Wonder and Herbie Hancock all day because they're into that shyt, but rap? Nah. Unless they HAVE to, like when Outkast won, they aren't gonna do it.

I will say this tho: from what I've heard the GKMC loss really shook things up amongst hip hop supporting voters. In the past a lot of those people simply didn't vote. But ever since Macklemore's win I've heard that the younger/more hip voters are more serious about the process. Not just black and Hispanic people, but also white people like Scott Vener (HBO), who is a Kendrick fan. They love the music and want to see it get some dap. But despite that, Eminem still won rap AOTY this year solely because older white voters automatically vote for him whenever he's nominated.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I think Kendrick actually has a chance this time. Unless Macklemore comes through with another gay anthem and shuts shyt down. Then you gotta factor in Drake, Cole, whoever else. Lupe is a non factor.

The lil outrage of Kendrick not winning last time plus Macklemore saying he wasn't supposed to win might land K.Dot votes this time around from the judges :manny:

It's still fukk the Grammys regardless :yeshrug:

Last edited:

B. Pumpaveli

All Star
Daps
Lupe knows what's up tho. He's not expecting a win, and he knows Kendrick won't win either. I think it's very likely that more Grammy voters will like TPAB than GKMC simply because of the production but he still won't win.

We're talking about 50-60yo while people brehs. They'll hand awards to Stevie Wonder and Herbie Hancock all day because they're into that shyt, but rap? Nah. Unless they HAVE to, like when Outkast won, they aren't gonna do it.

I will say this tho: from what I've heard the GKMC loss really shook things up amongst hip hop supporting voters. In the past a lot of those people simply didn't vote. But ever since Macklemore's win I've heard that the younger/more hip voters are more serious about the process. Not just black and Hispanic people, but also white people like Scott Vener (HBO), who is a Kendrick fan. They love the music and want to see it get some dap. But despite that, Eminem still won rap AOTY this year solely because older white voters automatically vote for him whenever he's nominated.

wait, MMLP2 won the rap AOTY??? :pachaha::pachaha::mjlol::mjlol::laff:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Kendrick already "broke through" so to speak with his wins for "I" this year so he's definitely no longer a "black sheep" so to speak. He's a true critical and media darling in the vein of 2003-04 era Kanye West. His talent DEMANDS respect.

I'm still HIGHLY pissed that Nas got shafted in 2013 with Life Is Good. There's no goddamn way that Take fukking Care was a better album than LIG or that nikkas In Paris was a better WRITTEN song than Daughters. I'd truly hope that the Hip Hop voters are starting to awaken to the fact that our mainstream representation of the ART does in fact send a message to the overall culture. And I'm not talking in terms of "white acceptance" or that a Grammy "validates" you. I'm talking on a larger scale, the music that gets rewarded and gets the push shapes how the industry in turn promotes the genre. We're at a point right now, where it feels like we are entering an era where there is a renewed focus on lyricism and craft over stunting, trap, and bullshyt filler music. If we want to make sure that this current path continues its momentum we NEED to do all that we can as fans and Artists to show that this is indeed what we prefer. Whether it be with our wallets in purchasing albums or with our votes in rewarding the music that we deem superior