Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

DeuceZ

Li pitit gason
Daps
Reppin
3rd Rock From the Sun
ima keep it 100 brehs, was about to post 2 days ago giving this album a 7.5 :mjcry: then i really listened to How Much a Dollar Cost and I was like :wow:

to sum it up Ima give this a 8.5. The album is good maybe even border line great but to me its more like a musical. Like I told my homie if this album was a movie it would win an Oscar in the sense that once you get it (the concept) its just :wow: but u gotta be in the right zone for this shyt imo

Also I feel like a couple of tracks had a vibe closer to Section .80...had a Kush and Corinthians vibe.

Having said that when u listen...as in really listen when he spittin on the tracks he's as sharp and relevant as ever :gladkid:

I'm playing the Lupe more tho :nuthin:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
After sitting with this album for the week, I can definitely say that I loved this quicker than I did GKMC and that's definitely because the production suits my taste more. The beats changes on this are godly and I can definitely feel all of the producers' influence on this album. I made reference to Robert Glasper when we initially heard the outro to Blacker The Berry and when the beat change on Complexion, that has a Black Radio feel all over it...godly drum pockets :wow:

So far, Kendrick is 3/3 for great albums.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So These Walls was my least favorite song until I found out that it's really about Kendrick getting revenge on the killer from Sing About Me by fukking his babymama. This joint is deep brehs. :wow:
That last verse is :huhldup:

Walls telling you to listen to "Sing About Me"
Retaliation is strong you even dream about me
Killed my homeboy and God spared your life
Dumb criminal got indicted same night

So when you play this song rewind the first verse
About me abusing my power so you can hurt
About me and her in the shower whenever she horny
About me and her in the after hours of the morning

About her baby daddy currently serving life
And how she think about you until we meet up at night
About the only girl that cared about you when you asked her
And how she fukking on a famous rapper
Walls could talk

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
From the minute I heard of the album's title I fell in love with it because I tonight it was about white supremacy b*stardizing, corrupting , hating and using black people when we as a people are much better than that.

Cacs are pimping nikkas out like we're cheap hoes when we're really something special - like a butterfly.

Anything else would be a disappointment for me since this is most logical and provocative.
Kendricks not black and white like that.
Also I don't believe it would jive with his message on earlier albums.
He's not thecoli.

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Since everyone loves These Walls, I'm not sure if it's been talked about but the last verse is about Sherane and that whole situation
you would think she is the only girl he ever fukked as much as he talks about her

Daps
:banderas:

I noticed the Rap Genius is saying he's talking about Compton. Says the kid was throwing around a football like Ricky in Boyz In Tha Hood. But I disagree, I think he went home to Africa in this song and met the boy there. Says he's tossing around a football with ashy ankles...which suggests he's kicking a soccer ball. Kendrick went to South Africa last year, I think that's what he's talking about. Saying we speak the same language but he couldn't understand due to America clouding his mind.

Momma is Africa.
:obama: that would explain the afrobeat/african jazz beat that fades out at then end too.

the layers on this album :wow:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
you would think she is the only girl he ever fukked as much as he talks about her

I don't think it's that more than it is the situation he was caught up in tryna tag her.

She set him up.
Had him jumped.
He retaliates.
His homie get's killed in the process.

If that's some real life shyt, that's a lot to take in bruh.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
:patrice:
I was always under the impression that the chick was Sherane.
na we dont even know who killed kendrick homie, they werent shooting at one person, kendrick got jumped, him and his homies came back and shot at them nikkaz, one of them nikkaz shot back and hit kendrick homie, :ehh: we dont know who he was tho, and who his girl is

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea but who's doing the "pimping" then?

I like that analogy but it doesn't fit into kendricks story.

It's not about him vs white people but him battling vs himself. Or blacks with talent power or influence using that status looking after their own people.

From a political standpoint especially connecting the album cover with the music, the pimp could be America. America sells this dream, the "America dream" of freedom and prosperity, but at what cost? Depression, one's soul, mental/spiritual imprisonment, peace of mind. There's also the aspect of America pimping Blacks for their talents whether it be sports, entertainment, inventions, creativity, and innovation.