Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
A few people copied Good Kid Maad City (YG, Logic) it will be interesting to see if anyone tries to bite this album and how they go about it.
That's real shyt..Logic copied the flow and atmosphere of GKMC for Under Pressure and YG just took the "A day in the life" theme of GKMC for My Krazy Life.

Both good albums tho :whoa:

But this album is a whole other level. And hopefully it pushes rappers to work harder on their craft..

Probably not tho :francis:

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
:banderas:

I noticed the Rap Genius is saying he's talking about Compton. Says the kid was throwing around a football like Ricky in Boyz In Tha Hood. But I disagree, I think he went home to Africa in this song and met the boy there. Says he's tossing around a football with ashy ankles...which suggests he's kicking a soccer ball. Kendrick went to South Africa last year, I think that's what he's talking about. Saying we speak the same language but he couldn't understand due to America clouding his mind.

Momma is Africa.
Yep you got it..That's why he was thanking rap for giving him the opportunity to see Africa in his life time.. Something he would never have experienced without hip hop..

He talks about thinking that he knew it all (I know everything), until he went "home" and realized all of the things he knew really didn't mean sh1t and he knew very little..

Best song on the album imo....

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
This album severely lacks that one money cut. Like this shyt is good technically, lots of thought went into the execution, perhaps too much even, but where's that ONE cut? Outkast kept multiple money songs per album. This just sort of slogs along. Only 2nd listen. Things could change but I'm not itching to run back 80 minutes when the joint ends.

Plus, I'm no stranger to Flylo, Knxwledge, Taz, Thundercat or trash ass Terrace Martin so this sound has been familiar to me for 7 years.

Solid 4 mics.

JustRob

Rookie
Daps
So I finally got to sit back and listen to the whole album uninterrupted. Breh, Kendrick got me wanting to find my local black panthers chapter. The funk/jazz inspired beats were dope. My only minor complaint is Kendrick switching up the tone of his voice so much. I guess it's nice for variety but sometimes it just sounds wack.

Overall :ohhh::salute: :ahh: :blessed: :whoo:

JustRob

Rookie
Daps
This album severely lacks that one money cut. Like this shyt is good technically, lots of thought went into the execution, perhaps too much even, but where's that ONE cut? Outkast kept multiple money songs per album. This just sort of slogs along. Only 2nd listen. Things could change but I'm not itching to run back 80 minutes when the joint ends.

Plus, I'm no stranger to Flylo, Knxwledge, Taz, Thundercat or trash ass Terrace Martin so this sound has been familiar to me for 7 years.

Solid 4 mics.

I think that 'money cut' is Blacker the Berry. But I can understand what you mean. There isn't a clear cut 'club banger' or 'summer hit' maybe it's better off that way. I don't feel like a traditional type money cut would fit in this record.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I think that 'money cut' is Blacker the Berry. But I can understand what you mean. There isn't a clear cut 'club banger' or 'summer hit' maybe it's better off that way. I don't feel like a traditional type money cut would fit in this record.

Blacker isn't a money cut. Just isn't. It's got tough drums so it stands out but it's not the one.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
Blacker isn't a money cut. Just isn't. It's got tough drums so it stands out but it's not the one.

Alright can be that akin to how Apparently became that for J Cole. The radio single/hit or whatever. But maybe that's not what Kendrick wanted in the first place.

So These Walls was my least favorite song until I found out that it's really about Kendrick getting revenge on the killer from Sing About Me by fukking his babymama. This joint is deep brehs. :wow: